Porsche recalls GT3

Chris-p

Hi Everyone,

I have been hearing over the last few days that Porsche were recalling the new GT3 re the fire issue.

All 5 delivered so far have been recalled in Australia based on the attached article. 

The recall hasnt gone up on the ACCC website yet so I am not sure if they are doing it as an official recall or just what is being called a "technical update".

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2014/porsche/911/porsche-recalls-911-gt3-41841

What a shame. It will certainly leave a bit of a stigma on what is a sensational looking car....

C

Gees Doug, take out the Canberra trip and that's what I have done in the last year....

I wonder how this is all going to play out and what it will mean for the reputation of the model. I expect the 997.2 models to maintain their value now....

C

My car was all set for delivery - just registered and already paid for - when the stop sale happened.  That was 2 weeks ago. I've used the time to get XPEL film fitted, and the PDI discovered a faulty radiator which requires part ex-Germany.  We still don't know what the fix is for the engine problem or how long it will take to get the cars safe and back on the road. I did get to drive mine - from the workshop to the cleaning bay.  I'd upload some pics but this forum's design has me too baffled.

Hope it's sorted soon for you. What a downer for what should be an exciting moment.

Photos can be download via a photo storage website like photobucket or flickr.

Please let us know when you take delivery. Would really like to hear all about it and of course see it.....

Cheers

C

• 2 months later...

I really do feel for you. I am glad that there is some communication on the timeline and hope it passes quickly for you. The anticipation would be driving me nuts....

Has your car been returned to Melbourne for the engine change?

I was speaking to my Porsche contact today & the priority in Australia is the cars already sold, there are 5 delivered & another 20 ordered but not delivered. We discussed what is happening to the old engines & the view is they will be rebuilt as engine only spares, apparently if you want to buy a 991 GT3 engine direct from Porsche the cost is $103K, so not sure they will be thrown away.

Has your car been returned to Melbourne for the engine change?

No Chris, the Adelaide dealer will do them - there are 2 here needing the new engine.  The second car doesn't have a fitment date yet.

Oh that's good that it's still in Adelaide. I imagine when the crate engines arrive at least you will get it back a bit quicker that way rather than having to wait for it to get shipped back from Melbourne.

Do keep us posted as we are all interested to hear how you get on and especially your view on at last taking it for a good drive....

Best wishes

Chris

Oh that's good that it's still in Adelaide. I imagine when the crate engines arrive at least you will get it back a bit quicker that way rather than having to wait for it to get shipped back from Melbourne.

Do keep us posted as we are all interested to hear how you get on and especially your view on at last taking it for a good drive....

Best wishes

Chris

I imagine that time that will elapse between the crate arriving and the tech starting work will be about 5 minutes. :)

I'll be sure to post updates here asap.  Then a trip to Melbourne is in order.  I've got a friend with a Carrera S arriving around the same time and we want to do the GOR.

My car was all set for delivery - just registered and already paid for - when the stop sale happened.  

My brother is in the same boat - his is sitting in the dealership here in Sydney. 

Have you guys seen this? 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/porsche/10804652/Porsche-911-GT3-owners-win-compensation.html

Yes, I'm aware if it although I didn't add my name to the letter to PAG.  The number of cars in Australia is so small that PCA will be negotiating with individual owners, all of whom have different circumstances.  I think the compensation that the UK got was too low and I'll be looking for a lot more.

• 2 months later...

I got a good price to truck it home - then I thought "Bugger it" and booked a flight back to Darwin next week so I can drive it home.  It'll have 7,000km in the clock at the end of the first month. :P

Archived