Engine destroyed in one-off police falcon

I had a hire car in NSW for the weekend and when it came time to fill it up prior to return all that was available was E10 or 95/98. Hire car wasn't my problem five minutes later so in went E10.

What do you do if you have a non E10 car that runs 91 in NSW?

I'd pay the extra If 95 was the only option. A couple of bucks for a tank is a good insurance policy.

I was watching a jay lenos garage episode recently when he was talking about all the damage to fuel systems caused by californian e10. Is idiotic to have to buy sub- standard fuel for...well I don't even know why on earth it has been done.

Let me start by saying I'm no expert.

One of the problems that I believe Ethanol fuels have is that the Ethanol soaks up water. Then carries the water into your fuel system. Water and fuel systems are NOT friends. The water then corrodes metal parts, blocks tiny little fuel jets and generally makes a real nuisance of itself.

I too would always pay the few cents extra per litre to NOT put Ethanol fuel in anything I owned. Small price to pay for not having to fix engines.

I had a hire car in NSW for the weekend and when it came time to fill it up prior to return all that was available was E10 or 95/98. Hire car wasn't my problem five minutes later so in went E10.

What do you do if you have a non E10 car that runs 91 in NSW?

My ex-Cherokee (4litre - 6 cylinder) ran on E10 for 7 years and 152,000kms, never had an issue. My S2 gets 98RON mostly.

I have to remember to keep the fuel in the tank fresh - how do I do that? Take her for a drive ;)

E10 saved a few $s and was rated at 95RON. The handbook listed Ethanol-based fuels as acceptable.

rEd

I saw this article. Can't remember if posted here or facebook though. 

Just don't mix up e10 with e85

e10 is pure junk. All it is, is petrol usually 91 or even 89 RON mixed with ethanol to bring the octane rating up. 

You don't get better fuel economy out of it. and you don't get better $ per kilometer either. 

Funny though, i know a guy who works for a "prestige" used car dealership, and he uses e10 to full up cars with to save money.  

Some. not all. 

When it's time to fill up again. I'll post on how to run a 944 on e85. So probably saturday or sunday. Tank is almost empty. I don't drive to work or during the week much. 

I don't know how valid my L per 100km/h will be as i've been driving with a heavy foot lately, mostly data logging AFRs on boost. 

Bio-ethanol is usually obtained from the conversion of carbon based feedstock. Agricultural feedstocks are considered renewable because they get energy from the sun using photosynthesis, provided that all minerals required for growth (such as nitrogen and phosphorus) are returned to the land. Ethanol can be produced from a variety of feedstocks such as sugar canebagassemiscanthussugar beet,sorghum, grain, switchgrassbarleyhempkenafpotatoessweet potatoescassavasunflowerfruitmolassescornstovergrain,wheatstrawcotton, other biomass, as well as many types of cellulose waste and harvestings, whichever has the best well-to-wheelassessment.

off wiki. 

The Jeep is set up for the ethanol as it is a US built vehicle. USA being the home of ethanol based fuels. They cook up corn or something to make the ethanol I believe.

Jim Beam Corn.

The Jeep would guzzle 80 litres in one sitting

Archived