Gone from 997 to an older porsche?

SteveC

We have both a 997 and an older late 70's 911, my personal preference is for the old one, it is a more engaging drive and the only thing I feel it needs is more power which will come when the budget allows BUT I don't drive it everyday.

While the 997 Carerra S is a blast to drive with loads of power and easy to power slide as Russ will attest from yesterday, my personal feeling is I feel detached driving it. Don't get me wrong it turns in beautifully, is perfectly balanced, has more then enough brake and the gearbox is tight and precise with my only criticism the pickup point of the clutch but it's just not as raw and visceral as my old 911 is.

At the end of the day I'd ask you what you want it for?

If it's a daily commuter to the office and back, to the grocery store with the odd weekend spirited drive, trackday or trip away then the 997 every time, my wife uses it just like that, but if it's a fun car for drives, hillclimbs, trackdays and just crusing around then the old school 911 is what I'll take with a few mods and a bit more power.

These might not be the same opinions as others in the same boat so take them as you will.

Cheers Al 

Gents,

Understand the dilemma and agree the "feel" and "engagement" from an older 911 is something to behold......consequently, in the spirit of the PFA, I'm prepared to swap my 78 911 SC with a 997......magnanimous I know !!

Just let me know where to deliver it once the engine is back in.....

Gents,

Understand the dilemma and agree the "feel" and "engagement" from an older 911 is something to behold......consequently, in the spirit of the PFA, I'm prepared to swap my 78 911 SC with a 997......magnanimous I know !!

Just let me know where to deliver it once the engine is back in.....

Im just going to have to get one of each (each variant that is!)

I do love the idea of that 356 in addition to, not instead of my modern(ish) 911.

It would go nicely with the same Silver/Blue colour combo...

I think if I had either one on their own, i'd feel like I were missing out on something...I know I already do feel like i'm missing out on an aircooled classic.

Figure out how to get both I reckon.  It shouldn't have to be an either/or question!  It's not like choosing a wife and you don't have to move to Utah to have both!

We have both a 997 and an older late 70's 911, my personal preference is for the old one, it is a more engaging drive and the only thing I feel it needs is more power which will come when the budget allows BUT I don't drive it everyday.

While the 997 Carerra S is a blast to drive with loads of power and easy to power slide as Russ will attest from yesterday, my personal feeling is I feel detached driving it. Don't get me wrong it turns in beautifully, is perfectly balanced, has more then enough brake and the gearbox is tight and precise with my only criticism the pickup point of the clutch but it's just not as raw and visceral as my old 911 is.

At the end of the day I'd ask you what you want it for?

If it's a daily commuter to the office and back, to the grocery store with the odd weekend spirited drive, trackday or trip away then the 997 every time, my wife uses it just like that, but if it's a fun car for drives, hillclimbs, trackdays and just crusing around then the old school 911 is what I'll take with a few mods and a bit more power.

These might not be the same opinions as others in the same boat so take them as you will.

Cheers Al 

I can attest to the power sliding-ness. I really really want one now! I knew going in that car was a bad idea.

It'd make a great comfortable and powerful daily driver but it's completely different to the 911's of old (you don't come out smelling like oil/petrol for one) but it's a great car

my plan is going to be have the sporto in the back of the shed under a car cover, and a 997 or similar in the front for daily driving duties (maybe)

Archived