Cost Of Parts

Paul Carrera

I have just ordered a clutch kit from the states along with seals, bearings, flywheel bolts etc at a cost of $840 US. I thought I would give the local dealership the opportunity and try to help the locals, their price for the exact same parts was $2770 and I have to drive 100km to pick up. They wonder why we buy online.

I call my local Porsche specilast and he has managed to better the prices I have been able to find online. Call Simon at Autowerks on Monday and give him a try. Also don't forget Autohause Hamilton. James (JustJames on here) is extreemly helpfull and a lot of us purchase parts from him.

Having owned BMWs, VW's, minis and now the pcar...I'd say parts prices are comparable...the VW parts are the ones that surprised me. Very expensive...

The example I use is for a replacement headlight after a fight with a kangaroo- $1320 from the local dealer (probably the same one you got a price from) and $330 from Design 911 in Britain deliver around 7 days

There is no question we should all try and support the local economy. I would certainly prefer to buy local with a warranty that may be more easily exercised if need be. The question begs though, "At what price?".

I reckon that 10-15%premium is about right.

My example Genuine Porsche part - Aus $ 950 - the same part from Porsche to US then to Aus $600 inc shipping.

Unfortunately we are all left guessing what the actual mark-up is on any item. So shopping and bargaining is the only way, does take time though. If you can support the locals it is better for us all in the long run.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-clutch-kit-911-15043007355

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-clutch-kit-911-pc200-01

I recommend FCP Euro every time, awesome customer service, had a distributor cap broken in transit and had a new one in my hand in 4 business days

Express shipping should only be $100 or so too

There are some things that the dealer is great for though, my Sportomatic clutch was relatively cheap and in stock in Australia when no one had them. Also the screws that attach the targa bar seal were cheap and in stock

Years ago I needed a set of shocks for my Jeep. The Ozzie distributer for the shocks I needed is in Sydney. So I call him for a quote. $1390 and seeing he only orders once a month it will be a 3 week wait. Now keep in mind these are not some super rare shocks,they are one of the most common upgrade shocks for a TJ Jeep and he won't keep them in stock. Now it's not a matter of him being tech or online ignorant. He has the same online profile as A.H. His reason for the price when I laughed was he has "higher overheads". The problem is his higher overheads are a very small shop/working out of his shed at home.

I ordered from a online shop in the U.S $450 and had them in 4 working days. We all need to make a buck. I'm fine with that. but there is a difference.

Uncle, I have that problem at the moment.

Need an ABS sensor for a Charade, none in Australia. Has to go on back order to Japan ??? (Korean car) $386 !!! What ???

Uncle, I have that problem at the moment.

Need an ABS sensor for a Charade, none in Australia. Has to go on back order to Japan ??? (Korean car) $386 !!! What ???

Do you need it ?

Surely a Charade can be driven without ABS operational. We did it for years. Unless the buggers have made it so the car won't go without sensing it.

Do you need it ?

Surely a Charade can be driven without ABS operational. We did it for years. Unless the buggers have made it so the car won't go without sensing it.

No, don't need it to drive, 96 model. It has been out of action for 4 months now but would have been handy when I had to do some fancy driving (read panic) to miss a roo….

Most roos are bigger than a Charade  :D

Haven't bought any Porsche parts but BMW parts are outrageous. Too many examples to recall. I stopped going into the dealer unless it's a 50c nut, washer or seal. Even then it usually takes 3 days ex Sydney. A 5x price difference was not unusual when I did bother getting a price compare. I got a full set of genuine BBS wheels imported, and tyres fitted, for the dealer price for one wheel.

I would have had to dump the BMs years ago if it wasnt for US sites keeping me in parts.

I should really investigate a big order of oil - at some point it would be worth the shipping cost. The price of synthetic here is ridiculous.

I have little sympathy for the local suppliers who price gouge, and none for the dealers. I have to compete internationally and living in one of the highest cost countries on the planet makes it tough. It's good to see some local guys are making a good go at being competitive by the sounds of it.

One thing is for sure, out of the current crop of modern cars few will escape the crusher. They are so complex and many are very expensive to repair. Unless it gains instant classic status in its lifetime they will quickly become uneconomical to repair because of parts pricing and the dwindling supply of guys who can nut out a tough problem and fix it.

Archived