Profit? Intersting post over on PH

How can this be a very famous car if I've never heard of it?

I do know my low mileage , non molested, accident free , rust free , sunroof delete , rare colour LHD SC is worth a LOT of money in Germany right now. However , the words "cold dead fingers" and "prise" apply in my case  :)

Steady there Tiger  ;)

Any disparagement was aimed full square at whingers, not at Poms.

It's a UK site, so most posters will be Poms, and most of them were whinging...howling in outrage that a dealer should see fit to attempt to turn a profit.   :rolleyes:    <insert friendly, handshaking smiley here>

Any disparagement was aimed full square at whingers, not at Poms.

It's a UK site, so most posters will be Poms, and most of them were whinging...howling in outrage that a dealer should see fit to attempt to turn a profit.   :rolleyes:    <insert friendly, handshaking smiley here>

No offence taken.  Now off to take my weekly shower  :D

• 2 weeks later...

There was a similar discussion on Pelican a few weeks back: guy discovers VGC long hood coupe under 2 inches of dust in old lady's garage. Old lady wants to swap it for runabout for her son. Canny guy immediately hands over keys to his 90s 3 series BMW, worth about $8k. Old lady is happy with deal, guy is ecstatic!

So is it okay to take advantage of a seller even if they believe they did well out of the deal?

Apparently that particular thread was closed down because guy copped so much abuse. The barn find in question is apparently worth north of $50k

So is it okay to take advantage of a seller even if they believe they did well out of the deal?

I went to appraise a 944 ; had no prior intention of buying one. I asked the old guy for a ballpark figure. he said "$2000...do you think that's too much?"

So I offered him $2200. After all , the TB hadn't been done in 12 years.

He was ecstatic it was going to an enthusiast and not a pimply youth on welfare.

The PO and enthusiast parted with  :)

You can have my unmolested 944 for $10k

There was a similar discussion on Pelican a few weeks back: guy discovers VGC long hood coupe under 2 inches of dust in old lady's garage. Old lady wants to swap it for runabout for her son. Canny guy immediately hands over keys to his 90s 3 series BMW, worth about $8k. Old lady is happy with deal, guy is ecstatic!

Apparently that particular thread was closed down because guy copped so much abuse. The barn find in question is apparently worth north of $50k

In my opinion, if both parties are happy, whats the problem?

Yeah, 'morally' he probably took advantage of the old girl, but wouldnt anyone?

I was recently told of an Aussie delivered 912 for under $10,000 that was owned by an 88 year old gent since new, and the car had just had a decent overhaul, I jumped at it when a guy I know told me about it, and was ready to withdraw the cash to go get it. All I needed was the address. Even my missus said 'Go get it!'

Sadly for me, the owner was told what it's REALLY worth by some Porsche know it all (aka GIT!) and is now keeping it for his grandson. That's cool, but MAN, I missed out on that one by only a few days!

I mean really, if ANYONE is offered a ridgy didge 70's 911 RS for $25k, would anyone say 'Oh no, it's worth a million bucks now!' Ofcourse you wouldnt. You'd go to hell and high water to raise the coin, buy it and laugh all the way home. I know I would!

Sorry, but If people don't do the research on what their car is worth, then that's their problem

In my opinion, if both parties are happy, whats the problem?

Yeah, 'morally' he probably took advantage of the old girl, but wouldnt anyone?

I was recently told of an Aussie delivered 912 for under $10,000 that was owned by an 88 year old gent since new, and the car had just had a decent overhaul, I jumped at it when a guy I know told me about it, and was ready to withdraw the cash to go get it. All I needed was the address. Even my missus said 'Go get it!'

Sadly for me, the owner was told what it's REALLY worth by some Porsche know it all (aka GIT!) and is now keeping it for his grandson. That's cool, but MAN, I missed out on that one by only a few days!

I mean really, if ANYONE is offered a ridgy didge 70's 911 RS for $25k, would anyone say 'Oh no, it's worth a million bucks now!' Ofcourse you wouldnt. You'd go to hell and high water to raise the coin, buy it and laugh all the way home. I know I would!

Sorry, but If people don't do the research on what their car is worth, then that's their problem

I love a bargain but not sure everybody would be so quick to relieve a naive 88 year old of a valuable car for a fraction of its value. Being an octogenarian I'm guessing he probably wasn't that Internet savvy. Fortunately somebody was looking out for him and your good karma remains in tact :-)

Archived