wheel polishers victoria

I have just purchased a set of 260Z Datto wheels for my Beloved Bluebird, long story but cut short, my original 14' steel rims all had cracks in them, and I can't find any replacement steel rims anywhere in Vic.

I am going to put the BB on club plates, so I bit the bullet and got these wheels.   They are reasonable but I would like to get them back to their near best if possible without spending a fortune.

Does anyone know or have used any business that polishes up mags at a reasonable price.

There are a few old datto people on this forum so I will put this out there also

I am also looking for 5 X wheel lug type nuts for the same 260Z wheels if any one has any sitting in their garage

Thanks for that, looks like Melbourne Classic Road and Track.    Mainly doing FUCHS by the look of it.   Might cost me more than the car is worth on that one.  Worth a phone call though.

THanks 

Bruce if you check out the website, I think you can send them photos and tell them what you want done and they will quote as best they can off that.

Melb classic road and track, that is

Neway Wheel Repairs (west heidelberg) Polished and painted mine (Fuchs).

Happy with them.

Niko there is also Ace Alloy Wheel Repairs in Braeside - just round the block from Jocaro!

Thanks gents.

Niko, if i remember rightly polished and painted about 650.00 for mine.

scrolled through the Historic rally association FB site and there were some parts (wheels, motor, heads Etc) for sale.

may pay you to have a look.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HistoricRallyAssociation/

Thanks Steve, I have made a few phone calls and the price of getting them done is worth more than the car, (and 5 times more than what I paid for the wheels) so I am currently using some Dui'sol metal polishing paste, elbow grease and slowly slowly doing bit by bit.  

I just hope the paste I'm using won't end up causing corrosion or tarnishing, over time.  

So once all done I may find some clear lacquer and give them a spray.

Not ideal but will be better than they are at present.

Thanks for the info though 

Thanks Steve, Pelican Post is a good one with the polishes available to do the job.   Sandpaper scares me but obviously it is very very fine.   I will study up.

Thanks for that..

I polish all my wheels myself. You can buy polishing wheels from soft mop thru to firm and compounds to suit, depending on the condition of the wheels. Use these with an electric drill and the end result is as good as the commercial polishers. All this is available from the large hardware stores or repco, supacheap etc. For under $100.00 you can get everything you need including a cheap brand electric drill.

Dominic

Hi Dom, thanks for that, this is becoming a bit of a (good) challenge for me and what your suggesting is similar to what is in the PP article.

Although the polishing compound they use WENOL ( a course one and a fine one) is not available here in Aust.  

Another good one appears to be FLITZ again unavailable here.

I will check out REPCO, see what brands they have and recommend, and have a go at it with the drill and buff pads, trying to do it by hand has got knobs on it.

Thanks for the heads up on it. 

Thanks Steve, have looked at the site, and certainly plenty there, they also have the FLITZ brand which gets a good rap.

Once you start having a look around there are plenty of products out there.

Cheers mate.

Thanks A, I am going to have a lash at the wheels myself, went out and purchased some Mother"s polishing buffs for the drill and some new polish that comes highly recommended "Bright" Lightning which is a liquid, apparently new on the market, or new to Repco anyway.

If that fails I will bite the bullet and go to the pro's.   $450.00 for 4 sounds pretty good, whereas I am being quoted $200.00 plus for each, which is more than what my B.B. is probably worth.

So hopefully later today I will get into it and see what happens.   I  will do some before and after shots. 

Thanks A, I am going to have a lash at the wheels myself, went out and purchased some Mother"s polishing buffs for the drill and some new polish that comes highly recommended "Bright" Lightning which is a liquid, apparently new on the market, or new to Repco anyway.

If that fails I will bite the bullet and go to the pro's.   $450.00 for 4 sounds pretty good, whereas I am being quoted $200.00 plus for each, which is more than what my B.B. is probably worth.

So hopefully later today I will get into it and see what happens.   I  will do some before and after shots. 

Good for you Niko.  I have seen DIYs online and it doesn't look that hard. Also, on wheeler dealers Mike has shown this process multiple times. I think you'll find it far more rewarding than paying for someone to do it.

good luck - i look forward to the pics.

Archived