986s exhaust

firstone

So I've purchased the 986s and researched sports exhaust. Its seems that my options are very expensive or cheap and nasty. I've read the cheapie may have a drone, yuk.

Add exchange and freight for the expensive ones, ouch.

I'm really only chasing a nice note so thinking headers back only.

Does anybody have a tried and true example of this option?

I called a few custom exhaust places on the Gold Coast and they haven't done one to date.

I know it's not the same car but I have a 987 Cayman s abd opted for the carnewal gt system. Not stupid loud but has a good note and no drone. Ill try to.find some YouTube links for you. But it sounds so much better in.person.

So I've purchased the 986s and researched sports exhaust. Its seems that my options are very expensive or cheap and nasty. I've read the cheapie may have a drone, yuk.

Add exchange and freight for the expensive ones, ouch.

I'm really only chasing a nice note so thinking headers back only.

Does anybody have a tried and true example of this option?

I called a few custom exhaust places on the Gold Coast and they haven't done one to date.

Fistone - thanks for the post - have been wondering the same thing for my car. Just something that sounds a bit better. Will be seeing what options (and at what $$) are suggested from those with more knowledge than me.

Hi Firstone and Baso,

Can fully recommend Darin from FD MOTORSPORTS in the US of A. Does a great job, and mine cost about a grand landed here (I did use the boat as opposed to the plane though to save on freight)

That price also included the deposit for your old core or exchange unit which if you lived in the states you would swap in. Too costly for us to send back.

As you know the system is very bulky and large, I think air freight would be a killer.

The exhaust does not drone, and gives a great note as you increase the revs. Can be nice and docile around town but put the foot down and people notice.

I can give you all contact details etc if you want them. Darin great guy to deal with.

Good luck with it.

Thanks Niko, I'll contact them. Best exhaust have a Borla that sounds great in their video clip. $1,250ish.

Edit: When I contacted them at bestexhaust they reviewed the price at $1,500 odd.

I've sent an email to Darin at FD Motor sports, see how it goes.

Cheers all.

Feel free to mention myself, Theo, Chris and I believe Steve P, also has one of his systems on board.   I know we have all been happy with them.

Darin took a while to source an old unit to do for me, he hadn't done (m)any Boxster exhausts before from memory, but it was well worth it in the end. 

Good luck.

• 3 months later...

Sorry about the price correction - the Aussie Dollar just bombed against the USD last night.  If it corrects, I'll revise the exchange rate on my website.  Stay tuned for price changes.  And remember, shipping is included in the price.

Just keep in mind you'll be hit with the following taxes and fees when you import anything over $1000.

5% duty (whether or not its covered under the AUSFTA, as you need a declaration in place to get the duty free status)

10% GST

$56.40 customs clearance fee

plus payment method exchange rate hikes (Paypal plus all the credit cards) and cc fees (only for credit card).

You also wont be covered by Aussie Consumer protection if anything goes wrong.

And your shipment probably won't be insured...

M

• 1 month later...

Feel free to mention myself, Theo, Chris and I believe Steve P, also has one of his systems on board. I know we have all been happy with them.

Plus me :) if you don't get a response in a couple days, email again. He gets a tone of emails and he missed mine the first time. Very glad I got on to him.

• 1 month later...

Just want to update this thread.

After much consideration I chose the Borla cat back and fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes. I fitted the Borla system first and had great hopes after utube clips etc. OMFG it droned so bad it shook my eardrums. I contacted Borla and they sent me 4 venturi shaped inserts to fit before the cat and in the tips. Yuk.... made it fluff n carry on with drone in the same rev range. So I let Borla know. A few days later they say they have no other options. They don't issue a refund based on sound, but will do. They say, rather than return it, destroy it and send photos. Woh, really? Ok... I try fitting the cat delete pipes with some high flow cats I bought in oz just to experiment. No good....

So I removed the Borla system and destroy and photograph and send. Waiting for the refund.

I go back to the research, thinking back to the FD motorsports bypass on the OEM muffler. I find on the 986forum.com a thread started in February 09 where "crios" showed muffler cut open to expose the different chambers etc inside. He figured if he drilled a hole just inside the tip on the bend it would open the pipe to an earlier chamber, thus making it similar to the external bypass done by others. 13 pages later I decided to try it. After all, I could have it welded up if it sounded bad.

Well, I started with a 12mm hole and lengthened it a little at a time until I was happy. Happy? Holy sweet note batman. It really is so nice and cost me an hour or two to fiddle. I can't wife the grin off my face. It's not loud or droning, no fluffing, nothing but a sporty and throaty note.

I just wanna drive and drive. :)

The thread is called DIY Exhaust Mod - Gain of 10 + HP!!!

It's not likely to gain HP but it is sweet, and free.

Archived