Well after a great scotch night at Uncle's place ( Thank you Sir!) I continued heading south to Sydney, feeling good that the car had been trouble free. I was about 2km from my mates house when my shifter dropped about an inch down into the floor. I made it to my friends house and we began diagnosis.

14508814306_7041c6100f_k.jpg

14345318559_9459e1a40e_k.jpg

So the rubber pieces on the guide tube have crumbled and the tube has fallen through the bracket.

14345318379_2ca6efc36e_k.jpg

14508814606_045b730972_k.jpg

14552055433_9d822046f6_k.jpg

So we know what to fix and what parts we need. Do any of you know where in western Sydney I might be able to source parts asap?

Hey mate,

Glad you made it..just. You could try:

Bob Whyms @ Seven Hills which is the closest in terms of location to where you are.

http://bwaauto1-px.rtrk.com.au/?utm_source=ReachLocal&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=RLBWA

or you could contact our very own James @ Autohaus Hamilton who can send parts to you pretty quickly if in stock.

http://www.autohaushamilton.com.au/

Good luck.

Steve

Bad news, but I guess lucky it happened where it did!

I spent the drive apologizing to my car for making comparisons last night with SteveF's car.

was so weird seeing you in edgeworth, I was following my GPS for the scenic route to caves beach

I think you car is more upset with you for having a driving affair with SteveF's car....

And now you expect it to get you all the way home..... Shame on you!!!

By the way Russ, I did get a chuckle at the way you sabotaged my status.... :P

I will interested to talk to you when you get back. It looks ,from the pictures, that it is a different part to what I replaced 2 weeks ago and it might be worth me changing the same parts. Our cars are about the same age.

Good luck with the fix.

Ok tip of the day. If you are going to break down interstate, it's very handy to do it at a friends house who has a pit in his garage!

Last night we had a few scotches, rolled the car over the pit and started work...

14532608374_41fe9157f6_z.jpg

14532606874_5e6828dbdd_z.jpg

Having the pit made life very easy. We removed the fuel pump cover and the front splashguard to get the center access panel out. Pulling that off revealed what was left of the guide tube sleeves.

14530676451_dc5b88fa0c_z.jpg

14352347238_2171efbdb0_z.jpg

We removed the locking pins from each end of the guide tube and then removed the tube for a clean and lube.

14347432100_0572958e1b_z.jpg

14510948676_62ed97a59e_z.jpg

14554195863_c64d2d0aa9_z.jpg

14537845184_aaf1506fa5_z.jpg

We cleaned things up and inspected all the joints and bushes and they all look ok, some are a little worn but good enough to get me home. I called JustJames, BWA and Porsche Centre Parramatta this morning. BWA didn't have them. Autohaus didn't have any but James was on the case. James called me back and could get some by tomorrow, as could Porsche Centre Parramatta. I ordered them from Porsche as they are only 15 minutes from where I am and I don't have a way to get out to Autohaus tomorrow. So fingers crossed I should be back on the road tomorrow, just in time to pick up the better half from the airport. So it's a slight delay but I'm happy it happened here and not in the middle of nowhere on the way down.

I think you car is more upset with you for having a driving affair with SteveF's car....

And now you expect it to get you all the way home..... Shame on you!!!

By the way Russ, I did get a chuckle at the way you sabotaged my status.... :P

Well it was Russ having the driving affair not me but maybe she heard me making jokes about smog pumps and decided to make me pay :)

I will interested to talk to you when you get back. It looks ,from the pictures, that it is a different part to what I replaced 2 weeks ago and it might be worth me changing the same parts. Our cars are about the same age.

Good luck with the fix.

Yes Ken different parts. The two plastic/rubber sleeves that hold the guide tube to the body are broken and crumbled. I think you would have noticed when you pulled your center panel off. You replaced the bushing in the uni joint yes?

I can see your problem, the little german man that lives in your gearbox to change gears has escaped

Look there he is, always wondered what they look like, pretty much like who ever owns the car it appears, How do those clever Germans know-:

14510948676_62ed97a59e_z.jpg

What's your plans after it's fixed Flatsix............might be worth getting some of the Syd boys together for a quick photo session. Would love to see your car if your hanging around.

Unfortunately I have a pretty full schedule this time, then the plan is to head north at first light on Thursday. Next time I come down I will make some time to catch up with the Sydney contingent.

So I picked up the $14 worth of parts yesterday morning and got to work right away. Everything went back together smoothly and I can shift again! I did have a few left over screws from putting the interior trim back together but that's normal :) At least I know exactly what I have to do to install my short shifter now, I'm a little annoyed I have to do some cutting. 92 onwards cars it looks like a 30 min job.

good news!

have you worked out how many km's you've done yet? I went for a bit of a tour of Newcastle while I was down there and with all the other detours I took I got over 2200kms

We removed the locking pins from each end of the guide tube and then removed the tube for a clean and lube.

14347432100_0572958e1b_z.jpg

Firstly, I would like to say that it's great that you are on your way again....... I'm sure it feels good to know that you aren't stuck in this hell hole we call NSW.....

Secondly, and most importantly, I am in awe of your high tech, broken down Porsche fixing tool that is sitting next to the locking pins that were removed..... are you rich or something to be able to affort the latest in tool technology?

Firstly, I would like to say that it's great that you are on your way again....... I'm sure it feels good to know that you aren't stuck in this hell hole we call NSW.....

Secondly, and most importantly, I am in awe of your high tech, broken down Porsche fixing tool that is sitting next to the locking pins that were removed..... are you rich or something to be able to affort the latest in tool technology?

Ha my Gerber? I've had that for over 15 years! Good tools never need replacing!

Archived