Sway bar options?

SteamWolf

I'd like to do the sway bars on my '92 SC. I'd prefer not to do cutting and drilling at this stage but I will if that's the best option.

There's a heap of stuff from Pelican but generally taking advice regarding handling from the US is not optimal.

Thoughts on what is effective and available in Oz?

Cheers gang!

Then depends on the usage, spring / torsion bar rate and shock rate, (along with a heap of other stuff)  there is generally some overlap between the three items but one does really dictate the next etc for optimal results that is. What valving ??? literally  a mountain of options. Lots of knowledgeable folk out there for reference.

Best to do the T bars first Steam.

Sway bars or (anti sway bars) as they should be known last.

However if you want the right sway bars give Weltmeister Porsche in Melbourne a call they will help you out.

They do that stuff all the time and may even have something in stock.

Also give Fitzy a call, he will have something laying around at Fitzgerald Racing Service.

Sorry I can't post the links for some reason.

Go Big T Bars first !

I've had 2 cars with Bilsteins and 2 with Koni yellow adjustables and the koni's win hands down each time. The adjustability is just so handy for when you want to put the hammer down vs taking it easy. (koni's $1350'ish set of 4).

Having only done the shocks and still on stock Tbars and sway bars I've found that at pace the car does not roll much at all. Maybe it's because I can adjust the damper setting on my shocks which maybe helping.

I would also suggest to leave the sway bars till the end.

happy for you to take mine for a spin if your every down Syd way.

All stock at the moment but have ordered valved bilsteins.

do you have the green stub axles? or did you order bilstein inserts for your current struts? or buy them complete?

Russ: Green struts, and I'm looking at Inserts. I haven't paid for them as yet. 

Vas, thanks. Do they supply new, or is it second hand stuff they accumulate?

So, anyone have any info on suppliers for sway bars, shocks and Tbars?  

I buy my Bilstiens from Heasmans (Fulcrum/Quadrant/whatever they are called this week). No idea on local supply for the rest.

I'm happy to take on board advice on the best setup for my car, but it wasn't really my question.

I will most likely consider tbars at the same time, so really at this stage I'd like to know my options for purchasing.

thanks Jim. I'm in the process of planning/ordering what I'm going to do too - I've got some Bilstein inserts (but they need Bilsten struts) and some Turbo torsion bars

for me I think there's a 20mm and 21mm sway bar and that's about it - from the advice I've got from my local mechanic (and it being a targa) don't change the sway bars, change either the shocks or torsion bars... so i'm still trying to decide what to do.

i'm sure there has to be some people on here that have the elephant racing sway bars, or did everyone just stick with the stock ones?

It's still a road car so I'm happy with the amount of dive and squat that it has, and the comfort on our rotten roads.  Stiffer tbars will affect that.

The roll is annoying me, as is the old worn out shocks.  It'll take some convincing to make me change the tbars first for my application.  

I think Bilsteins will definitely improve things (I have Boge that must be the super comfort ones, they're not 'stuffed' according to a pedders suspension dyno, but they're sooo soft)

do you have both front and rear sway bars? I'm not sure when they became standard either? apparently they snap off a lot on the rear too

Yeah front and rear bars. 

Green struts are Bilstien aren't they? Or have I got them the wrong way around?

Tempted to go rear coil overs and have the best of both worlds lol the price is not much different from the US.

It's still a road car so I'm happy with the amount of dive and squat that it has, and the comfort on our rotten roads.  Stiffer tbars will affect that.

The roll is annoying me, as is the old worn out shocks.  It'll take some convincing to make me change the tbars first for my application.  

It might just be the shocks. I have stock T bars but Bilsteins ; do the odd track session e.g. hillclimb and remain quite happy with the car's poise in corners. If I needed more grip it would be different tyres.

A harsh road street car gets old pretty quickly. We've got enough mid corner surprises on Tassie's best backroads that I certainly don't want to get airborne when the welly is pushing hard.

You just can't put up with worn shocks in our cars!

Yeah front and rear bars. 

Green struts are Bilstien aren't they? Or have I got them the wrong way around?

Tempted to go rear coil overs and have the best of both worlds lol the price is not much different from the US.

yeah green struts are bilstein. do you have to do all that crazy inboard stuff to get coilovers to work on the rear?

Thanks tassieman, my thoughts also.

Russ, I figure a light spring will assist without the need to weld in all the bracing. I won't be removing the tbars altogether unless I win lotto and fit a G50 (aka never gonna happen)

just a simple strut brace on the front will do for street/most track use, (using rennline as an example here)

http://www.rennline.com/Strut-tower-brace-2-point/productinfo/SB6090/

or a triangulated one if you are feeling fancy.

http://www.rennline.com/Strut-Tower-Brace-Monoball/productinfo/SB7X/

you shouldn't need anything more than that (the big 935 X brace style ones are more for serious track use and make the luggage compartment a bit useless).

the ones that go behind the fuel tank are the best according to the guys who setup my car for targa, seems pretty easy to fit but if you don't want to drill the holes then it's a no go haha (the indented area is there in the wheel well begging for it though :D )

if it's still not right then definitely step up to the next size torsion bar

just a simple strut brace on the front will do for street/most track use, (using rennline as an example here)

http://www.rennline.com/Strut-tower-brace-2-point/productinfo/SB6090/

This is a good product and gives you great confidence in maintaining your line. I was a bit skeptical ; a certain J Bowe told me (an amateur) it would definitely make a difference - and he was right. Funny that!

It might just be the shocks. I have stock T bars but Bilsteins ; do the odd track session e.g. hillclimb and remain quite happy with the car's poise in corners. If I needed more grip it would be different tyres.

A harsh road street car gets old pretty quickly. We've got enough mid corner surprises on Tassie's best backroads that I certainly don't want to get airborne when the welly is pushing hard.

You just can't put up with worn shocks in our cars!

Taz,

Do you recall if your Bilstein's are the B6(HD)'s or some other valving?

Thanks

Peter

Archived