911 Adjustable suspension advice required

I have recently purchased a 2009 911/997S2 and I'm interested in putting some type of programable adjustable suspension on it so when it's park it can sit quite low and when it's time to drive it can easily be raised a little to make it practical like it currently is. Can anyone help me with a suggestion of suitable brand units and equipment that I should be looking at?

Cheers

Scott

This is it's current stance on 20" Techart wheels.

Porsche109_zps7910b1be.jpg

Perhaps a Citroen would have been a better option?

Or is it April 1?

The only way to get close to your wish is to have shorter springs fitted that give you a low permanent ride height, and then fit the lifting front dampers like those that Techart and Cargraphic supply. They dont supply lifting rears, and you wouldnt want to drive far or fast with the front up in the air. They are really only for parking or crossing speed humps.

That wont let you squat the car at idle. Its just not a Porsche thing at all. It goes against the whole ethos of Porsche. Perhaps send an email to Cargraphic and see how they respond. They might think you're a genius and design something. You could become the new Magnus!

IMHO putting airbags on a sports/performance car ruins them

I'd set it lower and fit the front lift to get over speed humps

but at the end of the day it's your car

I think with air suspension, most of the compressor related components are universal. There's will be a lot of custom work around the installation of the system. The bag (that replaces the spring coil) would be matched to the car.  Not sure how they deal with the dampers - I've seen that in some applications people just replace the coil and keep the normal shocks. Usually the shocks are threaded - like a on a coil-over set-up.  Sometimes there's a spring/bag combination...

Vivid Racing in the US seems to stock a kit (http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/?manufacturers_id=953&=) & ( http://air-ride-suspension-supplies.myshopify.com/products/05-up-porsche-997-carrera-2-s )

If there aren't many 997's on bags, perhaps you could contact a vendor and come to some kind of arrangement around promotional activities - get a discount for displaying your car as a promotional thing.  Perhaps even get some reviews into how well it works (or dosen't??).

Airbags are used in lots of OEM applications (other than trucks and busses) - several luxury cars use them. Depends what you want out of them.  I think some people also forget that the 911 is a good GT car...meaning that for those long trips, comfort is important as well...depends what you want out of it.

My reason for consideration is 2 part. Here in country SA we have absoultely appauling roads compared to other states and if I was to do a rock solid drop then it shake our bones to pieces. So I do like the current stock set up for ride comfort as we also do a lot of long drives 1hr plus most times. The flip side of the coin is that the car is on show a lot of the time as I fastidiously keep it imaculate and I personally like the look of a nice tidy car sitting pretty if you know what I mean. So I guess you could say I want to try and achieve the lot. I'm not part of a car club and won't be doing track work or even hard sport driving so if I had to sacrafice a little performance then I could easily cope with that as I'll never be able to out drive the car the way it is being stock.

Thanks for all your advice so far. Keep it coming.

Cheers

Scott

unless they're factory fitted I wouldn't be going with Airbags. just leave it stock. - it will also ruin your resale with aftermarket airbags

Either that or get some adjustable struts with ride height adjustment, and use those C spanners to change it when you want to

unless they're factory fitted I wouldn't be going with Airbags. just leave it stock. - it will also ruin your resale with aftermarket airbags

Either that or get some adjustable struts with ride height adjustment, and use those C spanners to change it when you want to

I think you are right. Maybe I should just do a slight drop and find a happy medium. It is nice to try and keep it as authentic as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you lower it Steve?

For now I have decided to just be content and enjoy the comfort.

No it was like that when I bought it. Apparently there are a couple of torsion bar adjustment bolts that you can easily (?) give it an up or down adjustment, just need to do a wheel alignment once they have been altered?

Archived