Head Unit options for 997.1

sleazius

My 997 is now my daily drive, and I can't handle the lack of bluetooth. I practically live on my phone for work and this is a major annoyance. I know you can go mobridge / denison for the OEM look but in the videos I've watched it just looks like a bit of a cluster. I mean it does everything, but there seems to be a bit of a stuff around to do some basic tasks because the car never had the controls to do it in the first place (I'm looking at you playlists).

So I'm thinking of just going all out and replacing the head unit. Anyone have any experience with this on a 997 or 987? My only catch is I want the ability to revert to the original unit if required by the next owner.

Any advice / feedback appreciated.

Oh, I've got the factory BOSE setup too.

Cheers!

as a fellow 997.1 owner I've been through this. There is only one quality answer.....

MOBRIDGE.

Costs a lot, incredible quality. Bluetooth, A2DP music, full PCM integration, full phone sync......and WAY WAY WAY better that that crap Dension unit that has limited Bluetooth range and crap aftersales support.

Period.

Mobridge is fine for phone, when I get into my car it just connects and the buttons on the steering wheel work to make calls and hang up.

I don't use mine for music all the time so I don't know how that goes, but plug in Ipod and press play, 

Seem easy enough to use.

as a fellow 997.1 owner I've been through this. There is only one quality answer.....

MOBRIDGE.

Costs a lot, incredible quality. Bluetooth, A2DP music, full PCM integration, full phone sync......and WAY WAY WAY better that that crap Dension unit that has limited Bluetooth range and crap aftersales support.

Period.

Is there a Nav unit to it? I need to do more reading, I just watched a few videos and it looked clunky.

Have you got the PCM 2.1?  Why not put a sim card in it and divert to the car when you are in the car?

No idea how to check for this - I'll have to google. Too much fiddling around, I prefer things that just work if you know what I mean. I'm not an organised person by nature so 99% of the time that I get in the car I'd forget to do it.

Mobridge is fine for phone, when I get into my car it just connects and the buttons on the steering wheel work to make calls and hang up.

I don't use mine for music all the time so I don't know how that goes, but plug in Ipod and press play, 

Seem easy enough to use.

I don't have buttons on the steering wheel, must have been an option. Out of interest where did you get it installed?

Have you got the PCM 2.1?  Why not put a sim card in it and divert to the car when you are in the car?

If you had NFC in your phone you could hide a tag near where you put your phone in the car to 'divert all calls' to the car automatically

Otherwise, the Alpine INE-W947EI seems to look good, it's about $2100 though. (it's US counterpart seems to work with the Bose system, and fits properly - might be worth checking with Alpine Australia)

http://www.alpine.com.au/showItem.php?item_id=320

I decided to wait and see and fitted the Jabra for less than $100. With its great speakers and noise cancelling mike it is just amazing. I only want phone not music streaming.

Tranzit Blu HF for $79 off eBay.  Add another $20 for the cables.  It plays through your existing PCM 2.1 and BOSE system for sound and seamlessly connects and doesn't have the interference issues that exist with other HF solutions because it runs in-line through the antenna.

'Using Bluetooth technology and your Smartphone's Voice Recognition application (Siri or Google Now) you can initiate hands-free calling, launch navigation, music streaming or any other application. This device is installed behind the dash and is compatible with any car.'

It took me about 2 hours to install and worked straight away.  I keep my existing head unit with all functionality for originality, added hands free calling and music streaming from my phone.  Callers hear me clearly and when making\receiving a call the music automatically shuts off until the call is terminated.

It's a cheaper option but I've found it incredibly reliable for the price.

Check out

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/823064-997-1-bose-ipod-phone-solution.html

http://www.isimplesolutions.com/TranzItBLUHF/

And for install

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/808079-tranzit-blu-hf-install-in-a-997-1tt-pcm-2-1-a.html

Edit:

The vid on the iSimple site is a bit flaky but you can view it here

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to purchase the iSimple Tranzit Blu HF off ebay.

Does anyone recommend any reputable car audio installers in Melb that would be able to do the job? pref inner city, Richmond area

I'm wanting to hide/relay the micro phone and cables so it all looks Micky Mouse, hence why I'd rather leave it to a pro then tackle it myself. 

http://stingeraustralia.com.au/product/pacisfm2351/

cheers

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to purchase the iSimple Tranzit Blu HF off ebay.

Does anyone recommend any reputable car audio installers in Melb that would be able to do the job? pref inner city, Richmond area

I'm wanting to hide/relay the micro phone and cables so it all looks Micky Mouse, hence why I'd rather leave it to a pro then tackle it myself. 

http://stingeraustralia.com.au/product/pacisfm2351/

cheers

Its not overly difficult to install an iTransit, PCM did recommend an installer when I mentioned I was going to look for an AUX option i'll try and find the card they gave me.

I'm currently in the middle of a Dension Gateway 500 install, their after sales support has been really really good. I'd recommend the Dension Gateway 500BT over the itransit (although its the most expensive option). I don' have any experience with Mobridge.

Thanks Dan,

Let me know how it all goes with the install and functionality/clarity.

I think I'll be leaning towards a  Mobridge M2 Connect MOST Bluetooth kit which does phone calls and music streaming  but no aux input.

No Limit Car Sound and Vision in Port Melbourne are a Mobridge authorized supplier and installer

It works with the factory optical fiber network and amplifier & and does not require coding from Porsche. The only limitation on these kits comes from the factory PCM 2.1 which will only take the first 130 contacts from your phone (this is a limitation of the unit not the bluetooth kit) but will display the name of the caller even if its not in the first 130 contacts .

Don't think I'd have 130 people in my phone anyway! :)

• 1 month later...

Archived