Airbag Replacement at 15 years

au-yt

Hi All

I was reading my Father’s day gifted  993 Essential Companion book which I can highly recommend.

It states under servicing that the airbags need to be replaced at 15 years.

The are pricy 2K for the drivers and 4k from the passenger..... plus fitting.

Are others aware of it and have people replaced the airbags?

is there an inspection and recertification for airbags?

Cheers

Graeme

What are these airbags of which ye speak?

On another note , not so long ago I posted my experience at the Toyota dealer in around 2003. I enquired as to the 15 year Landcrusher airbag replacement recommendation on the sunvisor ; 20 minutes later , after several phone calls (including head office) the reply was they had never replaced one "just because" , only if there had been an accident damaging the sensor. Do the bags (not the airhead ones) degrade over time?

>6k for something that may (or may not) save your life seems a lot to me  ;)

I wondered, as I had a Clio Sport and its life was ten years, Ferrari I think list 12 years. However I wonder if the replacement was a plucked out of the air time.

If they have been in a dry climate I would consider that they would last  longer. The condition of the rest of the car indicates its been looked after, as the cad plating is still very good.

https://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/racv/Internet/Primary/my+car/car+safety/safety+equipment/airbags/older+airbags

At present, RACV is unaware of any evidence where older airbags have failed to protect occupants.

Eventually, degradation of the propellant charge means that older airbags will not inflate with the same pressure and speed as when they were new. This may compromise their ability to protect occupants, and result in more serious injuries. However at present, it is not clear how long after an airbag was placed in service this may happen.

The oldest airbags in the Australian fleet are approaching 20 years of age. RACV stresses that it has no evidence that any airbags of any age in the current Australian fleet have failed to protect occupants in a crash.

That is excellent news Tazzie, as I was about to put down about 5 large to replace as per the recommendations.

I wonder how future "RWC" issues may be handled regarding safety compliance and air bag life.

The costs associated with maintaining a second hand car's safety standard could be huge.

I wonder how future "RWC" issues may be handled regarding safety compliance and air bag life.

The costs associated with maintaining a second hand car's safety standard could be huge.

Indeed a large 

can-of-worms.jpg

But not a problem in the fabled Island of Two Headed Persons , where the roads are empty and sinuous , the mountains beckon and the sea glints with a million jewels  :)

On Top Gear on telly? Then it must be true.

In this case there is no doubt it was true because it happened as they weren't expecting and the cameras were rolling.  They do fake a lot of stuff but letting off an explosion right next to the star and filming him crapping his daks as a result is not one of them.

Okay, home now and had a look, actually I was wrong - the Porsche Centre Gold Coast in fact carried out an "airbag check" in 2010, free of charge, and found there to be no faults that would require airbag replacement.

Perhaps it's simply a matter of getting your local Porsche Centre to perform an airbag check?

Guys

Great discussion and Just what I was wanting. I was told that the bags are cheaper overseas. Being Dangerious goods they need to be sea freighted home.

I will have them checked at the next service and may be for Serena ( the car named by the Guys at Cairns Modern classic.. after serena williams .. B...t) shout here some for her 20th Birthday....

Graeme

I wouldn't bother look at all the older sports cars with no airbags.

Go back a few decades and in sports car racing ,  no seatbelts was safer than with. Cars caught fire after accidents, better to be thrown clear, even if you end up quadriplegic you at least won't be burnt was the logic.

Archived