912 Build

gniknotle

Hey guys, as the title suggests I will potentially be taking on a 1967 912 build.

I have just (almost) finished rebuilding my 1976 VW golf and have stumbled across a 912 for the right price, as well as having a couple of parties interested in my VW.

Here is my VW for reference

1397017_10152819510977642_72963332506858

IMG_4730.jpg

IMG_4695.jpg

IMG_4476.jpg

Having spent the past ~10 months completely rebuilding it from a shell I am aware of the blood, sweat and tears that goes into such a build.

Also having rebuilt both my mates '64 beetle engine and another buddy's '72 type 3 engine am pretty familiar with the aircooled engine configuration. As much as you guys probably don't want to admit it, the Porsche engines are very similar (I won't go as far as saying they're the same to avoid insulting people)

The '67 912 available is a Californian car (LHD), and is pretty ratty, missing front and rear bumpers as well as the engine and gearbox.

Whilst I would hate to see the golf go, I see it as an opportunity to essentially 'swap' my (almost) completed project (it has been my daily now for the past few weeks) for a fresh start that is well below market price for such a car and the time and money spent restoring and rejuvenating the car will not be in vain.

The 912 has a VW engine the bloke is happy to throw in with it. It is a rolling shell (has brakes, steering, suspension etc.) and it missing bits (most) of the interior.

Plan is to fix the rusted out floors (the rest of car is reasonably solid), drop in the VW engine (and suitable gearbox - yet to be determined/sourced), tidy up the interior (have some low back 'clubman' style bucket seats in the garage, or the 944 seats from the Golf) and give it a quick lick of paint (most likely undercoat grey) and drive it.

I understand this doesn't exactly seem like the way most of the Porsche community tend to do things, but harking back to the aircooled VW scene it seems to be the way to go.

I intend to do a proper restoration when the time comes (as I have done with the golf) but am curious as to the feasibility of this as a 'game plan' so to speak.

I just got the golf back from getting the carbs rejetted and dyno tuned last week, which has been amazing. Prior to that I had a toolbox permanently on my passenger seat wherever I went, constantly tweaking and adjusting and as such now have a reliable car that starts first turn of the key, every time.

As much as people tend to throw money at old Porsches, it seems as though such a simple car just needs a bit of TLC and general mechanical know how and it wouldn't take much to turn it into a casual, reliable and (most importantly) driveable car.

I don't intend for it to be a concours car by any means, but a solid base that will only be improved upon as time (and money) become more readily available. Might even drop in a 2.7 or similar if one pops up in due time.

If anyone has any knowledge or leads on a gearbox (my research points me to the 902 or 915?) as well as front/rear bumpers would be great.

Any other opinions on the matter are welcomed, I'm also keen to hear people's thoughts on driving a LHD car on Australian roads and anything else that I may have missed when attempting to decipher the pros/cons of such an undertaking.

Pauly, yep spoken to him before, he knocks around a bit with the aircooled guys (type 3 contingent etc). Saw that 912 at 100mm, Day of the Volkswagen and also out for coffee at Dak Dak!

Will have to have a word with him I think!

Pauly, yep spoken to him before, he knocks around a bit with the aircooled guys (type 3 contingent etc). Saw that 912 at 100mm, Day of the Volkswagen and also out for coffee at Dak Dak!

Will have to have a word with him I think!

Glad you've spoken! Did you go DakDak when us PFA guys where there? we tend to go now and then. 

Gday mate. Welcome to Porsche ownership. It's a slippery slope from here! 

I have a LHD 66 912 I'm currently doing a resto on. I can't telya what a lefty is like to drive around town, as I've only driven mine once!

Theres a thread about it on here somewhere. Do a search and you should find it.

I started with VW beetles, Type 3's,,Ghia's and a splitty 4 years ago, so the natural progression was a Porsche

Ring around for the bits you need, yet your best bet from my limited experience, buying from overseas is your best bet.

I look forward to seeing some pics of the car

Cheers

Any other opinions on the matter are welcomed, I'm also keen to hear people's thoughts on driving a LHD car on Australian roads and anything else that I may have missed when attempting to decipher the pros/cons of such an undertaking.

Well, being a member of the LHD club myself...I never have an issue. I bought mine strictly as a weekender toy, but for some reason it keeps going for short trips to the shops and the like. It's a hoot watching little kids double-take when they realise the driver is in the wrong side, and when you're carving up a country road I love how you can nail the apex on left handers with absolute confidence.

Just get used to the question? Is it hard to drive a left hand drive?

My standard answer is : if you're a good driver, you can drive a car from any seat.

Thanks guys - Pauly I haven't been there when the porsche guys have come down, I've only recently gotten the Golf properly on the road so went down at the start of the month to show some of the fellas.

Because I have only recently gotten the car on the road I have been somewhat reluctant to move it on, especially on a uni students income I'm quite aware how projects (especially ones including 'porsche' can easily blow out of proportion, hence why I have come to you all as a collective to help navigate and determine my decision)

The guy with the 912 hasn't advertised it and seems like he may be holding onto it for a while, so I may wait until post-summer so I can at least enjoy the car for that period of time.

I've been looking into the type 4 engine and think that would be the way to go, aftermarket stroker kits also seem affordable and could net a reliable 130hp+ once I finish building the engine (potentially a 2.5L, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there)

I had a good chat with one of my regulars today at work (he's restoring a 1975 911 and religiously drives it in every Saturday and Sunday to show me, despite he's still only on a UVP - (unregistered vehicles permit)) - he was all for the idea and after seeing how I've finished the golf and the time, effort and money it took to take it from what it was (a bare shell) to where it is now in such a (reletively) short period of time thinks it's more than achieveable.

I will be inspecting the 912 sometime this week, will take some photos and be sure to share it with you all to get your opinions.

Is there anywhere to easily obtain steel front guards? Apparently it currently has fibreglass RS front guards (not so keen on fibreglass)

Cheers, Elton

I've a LHD 1966 (65 build) 912.

Wouldn't convert it at all.

Would change the engine as I've found with a few tweaks they run pretty close to a 911 of the same era.

Have driven both and the 912 drives a load better around a track and corner is a dream. Sticks to the road no ends.

They prefer to be driven daily. And driven hard - the engine wants it.

A cracking car indeed.

The short answer on the front guards is likely no unless you get very lucky. I have a 73 targa under restoration at present and gave up chasing 2nd hand guards and ended up buying new from Porsche. Everything I looked at was rusty or damaged or both and required more rework than was worthwhile.

HI Elton welcome and enjoy the 912, all of the above is good advice and I would say keep it a 4 over converting to a six otherwise save your pennies and buy Alan Mcartneys car??

TYP4 out of a 2.0 914 would make a good motor, or a nicely built TYP1.

TOP TIP be careful about sharing too much info, if the car is not yet on the market and you haven't done the deal :).  Current company excepted, plenty of landsharks who dont own 928's swimming in the pool.

cheers Michel

• 2 weeks later...

So I had a look at the car yesterday. I'm going to wait until I have finished my exams before I fully commit but it is in much better shape than I anticipated. Main concern at the moment is gearbox options. If anyone can shed some light would be great.

Will keep you updated as I go

Elton

Archived