PCV Prez Day gallery

PCV held it's annual President's Day at Sandown today.  For those not familiar it is a showcase event to take people for hot laps in your Porsche.

There were a few PFA'ers there.   The weather was challenging with the Spring showers keeping the track unpredictable.  

Here's a few of my snaps, if any one else took any, post them here as well.

DSC06583.jpg

DSC06586.jpg

something to give Hugh ideas 

DSC06587.jpg

DSC06589.jpg

Redman's Jurassic oil burner 

DSC06607.jpg

DSC06609.jpg

Totally missed this in the calendar, shame as it's always a good event. Looks like a good mixture of Porsches, did you run Harvs?

That 964 looks sweet, I'd be lying if I said I haven't been thinking of painting my wheels...........

No Hugh, my car only went as far as the carpark. With the VIC weekend Targa this week, I wasn't prepared to tempt fate. There were a few minor spins in the wet with at least one car meeting Armco resulting in minor damage and an immediate expulsion from the event. Zero tolerance for any spins or offs was strictly enforced, even on the first lap of the day for one guy who turned his 911 around on turn 10.

No Hugh, my car only went as far as the carpark. With the VIC weekend Targa this week, I wasn't prepared to tempt fate. There were a few minor spins in the wet with at least one car meeting Armco resulting in minor damage and an immediate expulsion from the event. Zero tolerance for any spins or offs was strictly enforced, even on the first lap of the day for one guy who turned his 911 around on turn 10.

It can turn into a very expensive day very quickly. There were a few accidents down at the island on Friday, a cup car went off at turn one and closed the track for 2 hours while they rebuilt the tyre wall.

I also saw a 458 fezza go up in flames but that wasn't even on the track.

It can turn into a very expensive day very quickly. There were a few accidents down at the island on Friday, a cup car went off at turn one and closed the track for 2 hours while they rebuilt the tyre wall.

I also saw a 458 fezza go up in flames but that wasn't even on the track.

ED6F300F-8189-43FE-8FDF-0E13746B266B.jpg

It didn't happen unless you posted a video with a laugh track.

Btw. How was your track day (apart from the delays)? Pics? Video?

The deal for the day is that you are supposed to be driving at 80% of race pace because you've got passengers on board.

The surface was slippery in the morning and a few people got caught out. But seriously you've all been out there heaps of times and while disappointing for everyone to get pinged early in the day, we absolutely don't want to see incidents with passengers.

From what I understand, Presidents' Day it's supposed to be only for experienced club members. I discovered this when I was denied entry to last years event due to being 'inexperienced' on assessment of my application for the event.

Having said that, I am surprised to hear that you needed to send members home due to them not participating in the 'spirit of the event' or driving to the conditions and briefing instructions on the day - were they assessed on their experience?

I guess it's just another reminder of how tricky these events can be to run.

Hugh, the conditions of entry are in the supp regs of events. I think for Presidents Day you had to have competed in a club sprint day in the last 12 months or a higher event like Carrera Cup or that sort of thing.

We actually sent 10 people home yesterday which seemed a lot given the entry criteria. The track was wet, but that shouldn't have been a factor for the experience level involved. Were drivers reacting to passengers in their cars that they weren't used to?

It seemed that most of the drivers who were excluded stayed around and continued make the best of the day. The emphasis for President's Day is about having a good time and staying safe. The zero tolerance approach is purely to make the day great for guests.

I though Presidents Day was not a normal sprint day but a day you can take passengers out.

If you have passengers on board I can see why th spirit of the day would be to drive at 80%. I would hate to think of the consequences of a passenger injury.

If you are driving to the conditions and at 80%, then you should not be having offs and moments. IMHO

Edit: posted at the same time as the previous post.

Hugh, the conditions of entry are in the supp regs of events. I think for Presidents Day you had to have competed in a club sprint day in the last 12 months or a higher event like Carrera Cup or that sort of thing.

We actually sent 10 people home yesterday which seemed a lot given the entry criteria. The track was wet, but that shouldn't have been a factor for the experience level involved. Were drivers reacting to passengers in their cars that they weren't used to?

It seemed that most of the drivers who were excluded stayed around and continued make the best of the day. The emphasis for President's Day is about having a good time and staying safe. The zero tolerance approach is purely to make the day great for guests.

Thanks for the clarification Johnno. 10 is an awful lot of people to send home and I'm glad I wasn't one of them. My Porsche 'experience' inevitably involves a lock up or the back stepping out on occasion!

My day would have been very short indeed!!!

Hugh, some degree of bravado is allowed :) 

Provided you keep all wheels on the track and don't go beyond 90 degrees with your back stepping out you are in with a chance.

Presidents day isn't the day for experimenting. Do some driver training days so that you can have the back step out when you want it to not when you don't.

Do some driver training days so that you can have the back step out when you want it to not when you don't.

... ala motorkhana day when you want it to step out at times  ;)  :ph34r:

which I will be uploading the details for in the next 30 mins  :D shhhhhhhhh........

tumblr_mpx817xFdh1ss46elo1_500.gif

Hugh, some degree of bravado is allowed :) 

Provided you keep all wheels on the track and don't go beyond 90 degrees with your back stepping out you are in with a chance.

Presidents day isn't the day for experimenting. Do some driver training days so that you can have the back step out when you want it to not when you don't.

Agreed. Pity at least 10 of your experienced club members haven't taken your advice.

Archived