86 3.2 to early 70's outlaw

Sam Ball

Hi guys have just paid the deposit on an 86 euro spec 3.2 with john zaghoul at zag automotive up in Sydney whom I'm sure many of you will - I'm no expert but his builds look amazing so can't wait.

Fell in love with the singer Nebraska car and discovered the whole backdate scene which I never knew existed- so was wrapped to find John who has been backdating 911's for years.

The idea is to build a daily driver, but still try and maximise power without going too over the top - love the sound of the fabspeed cat bypass and either a one out or two out muffler with a chip- from what I've read that seems to give the best immediate games at a reasonable price?

So early days with the car only starting to be stripped in the new year but will post photos as I get them

One question John was suggesting running 8x16 all round but with wider tyres on the rear- thought that 9's were pretty standard on the rear but has anyone done this option with 8's or have any shots. The plan is to keep the arches as is John said they are the same as the RS so basically an early 70's RS without ducktail

Would appreciate any suggestions thanks

Here is the car- imported from Japan with only 51,260 Ks!

post-2015-0-51760700-1416644823_thumb.jp

post-2015-0-85452200-1416644854_thumb.jp

post-2015-0-33652300-1416644869_thumb.jp

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Running 9" Fuchs on the rear with the standard body shouldn't be an issue. 8" Fuchs on the front with standard offsets would be tight IMO, but as you say he's been doing it for a while so I'm guessing he may know better?

Look forward to seeing it progress.

Thanks guys yeah, he has a 12 month wait and initially committed to the car in April so has been 7 months already - wife is totally over it!

The interior will definitely be retro can't seem to upload a shot but he did a great martini racing replica earlier this year you can see it on his home page at zag auto- something like that but with the VDM steering wheel.

Just on those wheel sizes are the fuch replicas in cast the cheaper options and how much heavier are they than forged?

Thanks again for the advice

• 5 months later...

I have 16x9 on my SC. They look great but I have had a hard time getting the 245/45 tires to fit and also matching tread up the front.

I'd probably look at the 17" as there would be more options here.

this week got the 17x9 on the back and 17x7 on the front  ...  was little easier with tire choices ...  got to test fit few before settling on a set of Continental Sport Contact 3, 245/40 and 215/45

• 3 months later...

009_zps6c1tpeir.jpg

009_zps6c1tpeir.jpg

Hope these work

Some more progress from Zag - photography is clearly not a priority, but looking good, he's tidied up the engine bay and the boot - looks too nice to carpet!

He will fit the wheels next week and make sure the guards are right etc ( I want them as far out as possible) and then paint the body in a fortnight, while trimming and seats etc are being done, so getting closer, cant wait.

010_zpsnpxs3bjz.jpg

Sorry, here is the engine bay

Yeah, the dream is a little longer than I had anticipated - but looking forward to the end result.

Just as an aside, John is tidying up this 77 Aussie Plate coupe for one of his customers - with 3.0 rebuild 45,000 ks ago the guy is chasing $65K if anyone is looking - actually similar to what I am hoping for when mine is done.  Nice looking car.

008%203_zpsbjo2ful7.jpg

Your car is coming a long nicely, must be an exercise in patience waiting for a build to be completed.

Nice looking 77, surely it will sell for more than 65k one the owner gets bombarded with calls of interest. 

Your car is coming a long nicely, must be an exercise in patience waiting for a build to be completed.

Nice looking 77, surely it will sell for more than 65k one the owner gets bombarded with calls of interest. 

Unless it is a Carrera 3.0, it is probably a 1977 911 that has had its 2.7 replaced with a later 3 litre engine.

Impact Bumper cars look the biz in white IMHO.

You car looks great Sam.  Do you think you will put on Carrera side script?

Unless it is a Carrera 3.0, it is probably a 1977 911 that has had its 2.7 replaced with a later 3 litre engine.

Agreed, but it is still a well sorted, Aus delivered, IB Coupe going for reasonable (today's market) money. 

D-banger you are correct the 2.7 was swapped for the 3.0 and it's also had the rear guards changed to carrera width but looks awesome to me

I am going with the IROC porsche script but love the carrera too

yes my car was converted by John from right to left

Archived