86 3.2 to early 70's outlaw

Sam Ball

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those shots look great Andrew! - thanks for that.

Ok, so flew up with a mate on Saturday morning and picked up the car - and it was even better in real life than I had thought, I know I'm gushing, but it is exactly how I wanted it to look from the colour and the brushed trim down to the wheels and tyres filling out the guards.  John and George are really good at interpreting what you want and executing it perfectly - something that isn't always the case (still recovering from building our house 2 years ago)....

The car for me anyway looked stunning and then turned it on, and sounded even better - just that raw dirty burble of the flat 6 - loved it - certainly a lot more aggressive than anything I've ever owned that is for sure - the only thing we've had prior was my Wife's GT Subaru wagon, and her current Golf R, which is nice, but this thing is just nasty!

Ben my mate is also getting John to do one so he had to go over the initial specs and plans for the build while I familiarised myself and then we left around 1 to drive back.

I immediately stalled reversing out - and thought whoa - this is a lot different to the Golf!

The only way to sum up my initial thoughts is that the Porsche is best described as 'industrial strength' every thing is heavy, but strong and pragmatic.  I think it will take a week or so to get used to it, because I don't feel like I am driving it all that well - my second car is an ex military land rover for going to the beach etc, and that is a pig, but it feels comfortable to me now - but the Porsche not yet - but even after 2 days, it is getting easier and I know in a week or so I will be more relaxed in it, but the car drives beautifully.  10 hours down the stinking hot Hume and did not miss a beat. I think John was a little nervous having just put it back together but it ran beautifully and he did recall another customer who did the same last year but drove back to Perth!

There is not a single squeak, or rattle, it feels so well planted and solid on the road I cant believe this thing is 29 years old, and the power is fantastic - not as quick as the R, but again that is where I don't think I'm driving it well enough yet, but when you let it run above 4,000 revs it seems to come into its own, and just keeps pulling, and that noise!!!!! It just makes you smile, and totally get what all the fuss is about now.

It is obviously requires more work than a modern car, but they seem a bit boring now, and I feel that once I do master this, it will be a lot more rewarding, anyway, thanks for following, and for anyone contemplating I would definitely recommend John and George - did a fantastic job and great to deal with - here are some shots of the trip:

01cbb64bf847b07fe8507ab8e04685a86b5ef655

01dbbefc21b733af502ba8279ed5d5fa0a5dc221

01d2c7413d961a87550c0da874b064510a266a16

015394646c40feb8a49036cfb8b492598490b676

01eaa7dc146eeae58147e2171676acee5db4bcbb

013a40f7475f244aaaa14e47e86a2bf7bbb637a8

013576b2509b032357e30b9f94e68e53e03e4c1c

013b025e5d7ddb93d351bfb615fd0c13195287d6

01f7e0ab2f520aa651f2d31231cbe840dbb3a4e8

Thanks again, and look forward to updates and builds from all you others, and meeting you in coming months!

Thanks guys, yes really really happy with how it came out, I just keep going out and looking at it.

Wanted the normal wide retro black and white plates, but agree the front hides the cut out which I love -  will have to check with VicRoads thanks GUT!

Thanks again for all the comments, and glad you enjoyed the photos

Also gave it a bit in second this morning going off high st onto the Monash, and it felt and sounded awesome! - feeling more comfortable every time I drive it!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That's right GUT, were you with the 901 Register guys?

That was fantastic - hadn't gone right up to Lake mountain before - that road was fantastic!!

I was just going solo. But there were P cars everywhere. 

Archived