brake squeal

hepkat63

probably one thing that annoys me more than someone dragging their finger nails down the blackboard.... is brake squeal.

Is this a common issue in 964's ?   I have had the car up on the hoist and wheels off and there is plenty of meat in the pads, the discs look fine - but everytime i use the brakes whilst going slow, they squeal.

I even tried using some of that 'feel good' anti-squeal brake spray - yep, useless.

I am guessing I have the wrong pads on there (I haven't changed any components sincing owning it over a year ago).

41iZWPMPXXL._SY300_.jpg

there's heaps of different options, silicon, copper grease, and some other sticky plastic glue like stuff. all do similar things.

and yeah is the anti squeal backing on your pads? (it's normally not on the cheaper pads)

squeaking means they're working at least

I always use the Wurth anti squeal spray. H5000 or something like that. A brake guy once told me that the squeal is generally due to lack of lube between piston and backing plate, or a build up of brake dust, and less likely to be pad on disc

Wurth changed the name to Anti Squeal Spray since I bought it last. Which was a good 8 years ago now. Spray all the moving parts of the caliper castings as well, after wire brushing them and wiping with a damp rag. This stuff also works great as an anti galling compound. Especially on stainless steel fasteners. If you do happen to get a bit of overspray on the pad facing it just burns off pretty quick

• 5 weeks later...

I did mine last weekend.  Couldn't believe how easy it was to do.  The only thing I did buy though was a caliper tool that allows me to push the calipers back into their little homes which makes slotting the pads back in childs play.

I also swapped out all the wear sensors while I was there too.

I bought a tube of anti-squeal glue from the speed shop. 

Previously, all four brakes squealed like anything, now i get just a mild squeal from the front left.  Next time I'll put it on thicker i think

If the pad does not come with a slot right in middle like some other pads might have, adding that slot will help with getting rid of brake dust and potential squeals.

My understanding is that as well as helping disperse the brake dust, the slot (same deal on slotted rotors I believe) creates a release point for the gases that build up between pad & disc under braking, which can create chattering.

I have used the 'file a chamfer on the leading edge of the pad" method.  Don't know if it actually does work as I always use anti-squeal on the back plates.  Back in my days with the public transport department we always machined a reasonable sized chamfer on both the leading & trailing edges of bus brake shoes after relining them.  We also used to put the anti-squeal compound between shoe & lining, and also on the rivets.

Archived