Cayman RS 4.0 project @ Autohaus

JV911

Going to be watching this one with interest!

A friend is looking at a Cayman on Friday, so I'll be tagging along for a nosey. Keen to learn more about these cars

These are great cars, I've driven all versions & they have the mid engine balance the 911's don't. Handling is unbelievable & the noise from the engine over your shoulder is superb. I hope your friend enjoys his car.

I've been reading far too much and watching loads of videos of these Caymans for it to be healthy for my bank balance in the future!

They seem to be great value for money in my opinion. I love em

Just my personal taste, I'd have to modify one a bit with a wing, fruitier exhaust and race type wheels.

Post some pics in here to stoke the fires a bit:

I've been reading far too much and watching loads of videos of these Caymans for it to be healthy for my bank balance in the future!
They seem to be great value for money in my opinion. I love em
Just my personal taste, I'd have to modify one a bit with a wing, fruitier exhaust and race type wheels.

Wanting to add to your sig?  ;)

Lol...actually at the moment anything would beat my car. Motor shook itself apart at WTAC rather catastrophically. Good time for all those pesky 911's to take their best swing! :D

Caymens are great fun cars though. Would happily have one if going for free.

• 1 year later...

Have been dreaming about the possibilities when it comes time for a rebuild lately and started looking around for the latest update on this cayman RS4.0

Doesn't seem to be much info around and might have to pop my head into the new workshop. Has anyone heard anything?

Also interested to find out the reasons for the 996 block too :)

Since my post above, the boys have moved so I can't pop my head in any more. She was a beast that car though. Would love to see some video. From memory, I was told it would spend a fair amount of time on a track. 

In other Cayman news, the January through March sales figures for Caymans went over 100 cars sold. That's about half of the total sold in 2015. This is cool, as it means some luck bugger is driving my future car around. Hopefully a few of those 100 are the GTS. Seems as though the news of the 4 banger made people pull the trigger on a flat six. 

• 3 months later...

My only question is why start with the 996 block/motor? Assume all the known issues with these motors has been dealt with. Should be a screamer. Hope it gets on the track next year.

Does anyone know the pros/cons of the 996 block in a build like this (3.8 or 4.0)?

Have been researching but not really finding anything. Also looking to understand what parts can be ported from the 3.4 over to the new Donk, for example, if I have an LSD, shifter cables etc then does it get used in the new block?

Happy to hear any opinions as well.

Archived