964 Price Article

twood

This was posted on the 964 Facebook Forum and I found it interesting and thought I would share it.

I've been watching Porsche 964 coupes, both C2 and C4 (but not Turbo), on eBay for a number of months now. I've noticed that the actual selling price seems to range between $25,000 and $35,000 USD.

This is in stark contrast to the prices people are putting for "Buy it Now" or even the starting price for their auction, which seems to range between $45,000 and $70,000 (hence the cars are perpetually re-listed because no one is buying them).

I keep hearing that prices are on the rise for the 911 in all the automotive blogs, which is indeed true, but the effect of this type of press seems to be over-inflating the egos of some owners who suddenly think their car is worth two to three times what people are actually willing to pay for it.

I've found eBay is a good place to get a pulse as to what the true value is of just about anything, in this case the Porsche 964. It's just a matter of carefully watching and recording auction results and following them for an extended period of time.

My time to buy is coming soon, but I fear I'm going to have to break-out all my negotiation tactics and chip away at some egos in order to get a fair price. What's your go-to source for real-world pricing?

this type of press seems to be over-inflating the egos of some owners who suddenly think their car is worth two to three times what people are actually willing to pay for it.

very true.

i'm no longer interested in obtaining 911's as it's reaching ridiculous levels. plenty of other cars i have to tick off the list that offer much better value right now.

Typically, Ebay is not where premium cars are bought and sold.

If this writer is basing his knowledge of valuation on ebay auctions he is really only looking at a very small sector of the market (and not necessarily the best stock).

Whilst I agree in part that the market is inflated I am also of the belief that there is a lot of rubbish that can only be flogged via sites like ebay as this is one of the more 'known' and accessible places for people to start their search - it's by no means the only place though.

Best of luck to him but I don't see his theory having an effect on the current market place. Agee it is interesting though, thanks for sharing.

Hugh.

My Experience is the best cars are found by word and mouth and at reasonable prices, having said that untill the current Classic car market cools there will be lots of cars for silly money on sites like Ebay.

Actual completed auctions for 911s on eBay are few and far between. Good cars are listed and sold on US eBay, much more so than Australia, so it's not all rubbish being peddled.

The simple truth is that all you can do is make offers and see what response you get. Generally this is best done in person after meeting the seller and establishing your a genuine buyer. Offering cash over the phone or via online methods is less suuccessful.

i'm no longer interested in obtaining 911's as it's reaching ridiculous levels. plenty of other cars i have to tick off the list that offer much better value right now.

Hi Clutch,

Out of curiosity, what are your better value alternatives to AC 911's?

Regards

Peter

With the early longhood market gone crazy, some people THINK their later 911 automatically earns the same jump in value.

As some have said before, it's worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. The sellers will get the picture soon enough that theyre asking too much and 'drastically reduce' the price to a more realistic level.

If I put my 'RARE black 1966 912' up for a joke at $70k, I know I'd get 'Ya dreamin mate', yet if someone wanted it badly enough, I may drop to $60k coz I'm a nice guy.

Sometimes its quite laughable what people are asking for any kind of car, when they read one geezer got an astromomical amount for the same model they have, so they naturally bump the price up 'Coz it's worth that kinda money!'

Yeah, ofcourse it is

Hi Clutch,

Out of curiosity, what are your better value alternatives to AC 911's?

Regards

Peter

gotta be something i've wanted to own for a while, but hasn't been picked up by the market yet -

example is i wanted to own an M car and earlier last year got an E36 M3 for 14k.

basically been priced out of the 911 market  :huh:  so looking at all sorts of stuff. older alfa coupes (1750gt would be nice..), clubmans/caterhams, e24 6 series, etc etc

It's like you're reading my mind...

gotta be something i've wanted to own for a while, but hasn't been picked up by the market yet -

example is i wanted to own an M car and earlier last year got an E36 M3 for 14k.

basically been priced out of the 911 market :huh: so looking at all sorts of stuff. older alfa coupes (1750gt would be nice..), clubmans/caterhams, e24 6 series, etc etc

Archived