944 vs 928

AndyJamb

Not sure if it is of any interest but there was a major interior redesign from 1986 onwards with a more modern dash.

Yes - the post "85.5" 944s are more desirable, but probably outside the OP's budget...

What you guys suggest to go with the turbo? does it drive and feel better then the standard or?

Turbo version will keep up with a 911 of similar era - but a very different driving experience.

And it's various systems are beefier than the std version .

You have to try a number of 944s to find the one that suits you and your budget.

Turbo boost is a drug - once you drive a good turbo 944 you won't want a normally aspirated one.  Been there, done that.  But - a "cheap" turbo will cost you a lot more to own, maintain and run than a normally aspirated 944.  Think about doubling your budget, for a start...

Personally (with all due respect) I would avoid buying any of these if you only have $10k. Maybe in a stretch an n/a but really, you'd be better off saving more money and also checking on how much you can borrow if you have your heart set on some retail therapy. The turbo is a great car and can be made stupidly awesome with available upgrades, but you need to spend some money. If you don't do your own work, then you will be paying quite a bit to keep it maintained. I spent $30k on my first turbo. It was overpriced but a very nice car. Since then I've spent just a little bit more. Would love another road going 952 with a few extras on it. Fantastic cars. 

Here's a N/A 944 that's just come up on CarSales, just over your budget, but has had some money spent on goodies like GT3 wheels, Koni suspension, MoMo wheel...  Looks to be in excellent condition.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-3192655?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA&sdmvc=1&utm_campaign=bau&utm_medium=email&utm_source=transact&utm_content=autoalert&WT.seg_4=SearchAlert;PCAA

Hi Andy,

I live near to Baulkham Hills. Whilst I am not an expert I am happy to go take a look and give you some feedback if that will help. I am away at the moment for a week or so but shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Cheers

Steve

Personally (with all due respect) I would avoid buying any of these if you only have $10k. Maybe in a stretch an n/a but really, you'd be better off saving more money and also checking on how much you can borrow if you have your heart set on some retail therapy. The turbo is a great car and can be made stupidly awesome with available upgrades, but you need to spend some money. If you don't do your own work, then you will be paying quite a bit to keep it maintained. I spent $30k on my first turbo. It was overpriced but a very nice car. Since then I've spent just a little bit more. Would love another road going 952 with a few extras on it. Fantastic cars. 

Patrick you are a bad influence ;) 

Archived