944 vs 928

AndyJamb

Hey all, 

I've been a long time lurker on here, finally decided to join!

hopefully this is okay to do, but basically im looking for a 928 or a 944, i just wanted some basic info, what to look out for? price range? whats the better driver? more reliable? where to look? issues?

i love both models maybe leaning more towards the 944 just thought if i could get some info off of people who know that would be great

thanks

Gday mate

I know nothing about them, yet maybe do a search on this forum and see how ya go.

Theres a few owners of both models on here, so I'm sure theyll chime in.

Personally, the 944 gets my vote

a 944 is a "sports" car

a 928 is a "grand tourer" 

A 928 has 4 cylinders , the 928 ,  8. If it goes bang , you need double the thickness of wallet with the latter.

That said , the 928 is an engineering tour de force, and a GT sports car. 

It outhandles my 911 and is more solidly built and more comfortable than my 944. It is definitely not a luxobarge , think bahnstormer.

The 944 is more economical and zippy and handles extremely well. The turbo version is excellent but will cost more , and more to maintain.

Why do I have a 911, 944 and a 928?

They are all very different flavoured Porsches . I often have trouble deciding which one to take!

If you can work on your own cars , it will be a relatively painless experience providing you get a good one..

If you can't , you need plenty of moola , and don't forget the 928 was the top of the range back when.

With the watercooled Porsches , the biggest maintenance cost is the timing belt/waterpump. And it HAS to be done competently, without cheap parts. So you need to see receipts! If it hasn't been done for many years you may incur additional costs including cam gears , rollers and seals.

A 928 may or may not have electrical issues, and it is far more complex than a 944 in this regard. An auto electrician can spend many hours trying to diagnose let alone sort a problem ; these are cars from last century and require smart service agents. But the fuel injection system is well understood any competent German car mechanic.

Well that's a start  :) Parts are easily obtained for both models, with good aftermarket supplies where Porsche parts are available but ridiculously priced - or no longer available.

If you find a possible candidate , ask here for opinions - unless you can find a competent service agent who understands these cars and doesn't require you to sell internal organs to finance repairs.

Well don't shoot me for it aha, i have about $10K in my budget what would you suggest! i can stretch if needed... but would like to stay aground that mark!

i basically like all of them! but I've never cruised in one...

is that budget enough? or will i find myself reaching for my pocket a lot 

thanks hales for all your input.. great stuff

There are quite a few 'decent' 944's around for that price that don't appear to need any major work and generally are very well presented in that price range. You probably won't be looking at a turbo in that range but you will get a kick out of the 2.5l and its handling capabillities anyways..

The cheapest, respectable 928 I have seen lately was around $13,000 and was sold within half a day. I know this cause I was to slow..........

Keep checking all the usual places like car sales, gumtree etc but the best thing to do is get out and drive one......

And then you will know....

I'm a bit biased, but a 944 would make the most sense, given the (relative) simplicity and availability Vs the 928 at your price point.  Definitely talk to owners - they're usually all to happy to bend your ear about their pride & joy.  As mentioned earlier, going along to some SA Porsche Club events would be well worthwhile.  Try to drive as many as you can as quality for a given spend can vary greatly.  Definitely don't buy the first one you drive - if you feel that urge, go away and look at some more, and if it still looks good, have someone who knows 944s inspect it.  You could do the same thing with a 928, but with a $10K budget you're looking at the bottom end of the market, with $$$ needed to be spent.  Good luck and keep us posted!

"A 92 what????"

jeeves.jpg

If you would drink this sir, it's a little preparation of my own invention. Gentlemen have told me they find it extremely invigorating after a late evening

hqdefault.jpg

PS - just had a look on CarSales and all of the sub $10K 944s are 3 speed autos.  You really don't want one of those, unless you're missing a left leg...  Autos in 928s are OK, but not in 944s.

edit: this one snuck through the filter - OK on the outside (even has Fuchs), interior needs work...

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1984/SSE-AD-3108871/?Cr=3&sdmvc=1

Ive been procrastinating over this for months

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maslin-beach/cars-vans-utes/porsche-944-/1064975048

Seems a decent car from what he has told me before, yet it needs some little cosmetic things done.

Also, he is unsure when the belts were changed or had a service, so you had better speak to him if you havent already.

If he still has it, I know he'll take $7500, yet he needs to sell being a uni student or something, so he may take less.

That would give you a few dollars to have everything serviced and checked within your budget.

I have seen it, and it presents well, yet I havent had a good look in detail, so go have a look with the 'what do i look for' info

Give it a crack anyway

Or this one

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/seaford-rise/cars-vans-utes/1983-porsche-944-coupe/1065306350

Archived