Fuchs wheel choice - opinions please

Dusty

Looks good Evo!

I'll post some photo's soon once I get the car cleaned up but I've got all 4 genuine fuchs on there at the moment. What I thought were my genuine 7inch front fuchs look more like 6inch on closer inspection, so it looks like I'm running the traditional 6's & 7's setup. Just debating if I put the spacers in the rear to fill out the guards...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just debating if I put the spacers in the rear to fill out the guards...

What sort of spacer (mm) are you thinking Dusty? I've got the same set up as you and have been contemplating this as well (Just finished redoing the black centres).

I picked up some genuine Porsche 20mm spacers. Problem is they require longer studs which I've also bought but I've just been procrastinating on the install... Also need to find a stud/bearing press so I should blame the lack of correct tools instead of my laziness.

I just attempted a test fit but the studs didn't show through the wheels so the car remained raised and you can't tell the difference in photos.

Still don't have the proper tool to replace the studs but I'm now more motivated to get it sorted, hopefully this week. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally added the 20mm spacer to the rear and I'm pretty happy with it. It's probably a placebo but the car feels ever so slightly more planted while corning too. 

Before:

DSCF4397_zpsszuhpoxz.jpg

After:

DSCF4418_zpsidhdoxjp.jpg

DSCF4416_zpsnhgcvguv.jpg

I think with the addition of the spacers, I'm happy with the 6's & 7's will just have a think about adding a smaller one to the front to fill it out ever so slightly.

Finally added the 20mm spacer to the rear and I'm pretty happy with it. It's probably a placebo but the car feels ever so slightly more planted while corning too. 

Before:

DSCF4397_zpsszuhpoxz.jpg

After:

DSCF4418_zpsidhdoxjp.jpg

DSCF4416_zpsnhgcvguv.jpg

I think with the addition of the spacers, I'm happy with the 6's & 7's will just have a think about adding a smaller one to the front to fill it out ever so slightly.

Looks great !

I went with 25mm in the back and 15mm in the front ....  the car is sitting low and no problems at all 

Thanks Andrew - Yeah I like the look of the stance of yours on the first page with both the front and rear spacers. By how much did you lower it? 

I also like your colour and model choice, you really have awesome taste! 

Looking good Dusty!

What sort of tool did you use to remove the short studs?

Are you at stock ride height?

Thanks 911Oclock

I bought a ball joint remover from supercheap online (around $40 delivered) and ground it out by a mm or two to fit the studs, worked really well.

I'm fairly sure It's standard euro height but its previous rear wheels were monsters so it could've been lifted slightly.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone has had a problem after adding the spacers, with wheel scrubbing? Mine are only 20mm at the rear but during a spirited drive on the weekend, they now scrub occasionally on rough roads. 

Do I need to re-roll my flares after I just spent $ getting them un-rolled!?

Just wondering if anyone has had a problem after adding the spacers, with wheel scrubbing? Mine are only 20mm at the rear but during a spirited drive on the weekend, they now scrub occasionally on rough roads. 

Do I need to re-roll my flares after I just spent $ getting them un-rolled!?

quarter turn or less on the camber screw does the trick   ...   I had the same issue and with lowered height and quarter turn was all I needed ...  you may need less depending on your ride height 

Andrew - which way did you turn the camber screw (the white bolt I'm told)? I wouldn't normally play with the suspension but I'll be getting a professional alignment after I replace the tie-rods and add some fresh rubber in a few months.

pic2.JPG

I'll be getting a professional alignment after I replace the tie-rods and add some fresh rubber in a few months.

I was just about to say you'll be needing one of these!  :)

• 2 years later...
On 27/02/2015 at 5:39 PM, andrew911 said:

currently I am running 16x8 and 16x7 minilite rims  

Thread resurrection time

I’m thinking about a set of Minilites in the above sizes instead of a pair of 8” Fuchs (£800 a set of 4, compared to $a lot more for Fuchs). 

@andrew911 are yours genuine minilites and if so, do you happen to know what the offsets are? I’m assuming they fit well under the standard Carrera body and don’t need spacers?

Thanks

Mike, mine are Performance Superlights made here in Adelaide. The company has gone now but there is a company in QLD selling them on EBAY, they are blanks, you advise what stud pattern you want and the offset (I think that they only offer 2 offsets), Just over $1000.00 for 4, biggest size is 15" x 7,8,8.5 and 10.5 from memory. I can tell you the offsets if you can tell me how to work it out, there is some code forged into the rim. Rears have 'WIA  4M  15x8JJ'  with 225 tyres on, fronts are 'WIA 11P 15x7JJ' with 205 tyres. The rear wheels have a fair amount of toe on them (as you will recall) this not only helps with cornering but gets the tyres just inside the wheel arch (I have had a couple of scrapes on some lumpy corners).

Problem with 15" rims is that there is only track/street tyres available (matching brand/model) which are around $400 each and don't last that long however THEY ARE A HOOT for cornering (which I know you like).

37 minutes ago, AndrewW said:

Lots of words ?

EAndrew, I’m after 16’s and genuine Minilites just because I’m cheap and don’t want to get another set of tyres ;)

The Aus versions just look a bit heavier than genuines, the design is slightly different. Yours look good though, which is one of the reasons I’m considering them for my car. Our other car also wears a set of  Minilites and I’ve always liked them, so chucking a set on the Targa as I make it a little more sports orientated seems like a good idea.

Archived