Fuchs wheel choice - opinions please

Dusty

I was planning to pop a pair of genuine 16x7 fuchs on the rear of my 78' SC with some 23mm spacers when its rear flares are repaired next week, but I've come across a pair of euromeister 16x8 fuch replicas - new and delivered for $600.

Buying a genuine pair of 16x8's is out of my price range at the moment, not to mention finding them, so what would you do? Stick to the original plan and have genuine 16x7 fuchs on all four corners with spacers at the rear or go for the replica's and sell the surplus pair of 16x7's. I ultimately want 7's & 8's which is how the car was originally optioned.

First world problems i know.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7's on the rear with a spacer look ok. I'd do that, save your cash for a pair of 8's or 9's. gives you time to save up and the spacer will fill the guards up and give you the look you want while you source the originals.

OZ - I've had a look at braid but for the price, its hard to go past the euromeister if we're still talking about replica's. By the time you've spent $700 US on a braid wheel plus postage, I figure you'd just go the extra stretch further for the genuine deal IMO.

The site where the wheels are is automotion.com - no affiliation. I didn't mean to be cagey but I'm not 100% on the etiquette of referring on this forum? If it's ok, I'll shout bargains from the roof tops in future. I've bought from this website before and found them cheaper in price/postage and comparable in service to pelican for the bigger items.

An older pic of my car with 7's all round;

IMG_0370_zps5a41a083.jpg

And a pic with a set of 7's & 8's;

IMG_1037_zps2b6538e1.jpg

To be honest, I really dig the look of the 7's all round - has a more vintage/retro look about it. I'd be sticking with the OEM 7's, they can look quite cool (and a little bit different)  :)

Thanks Hugh - that's exactly the kind of comparison I've been looking for. Assuming you used spacers behind the rear 7's as well? 

The other hindrance with spacers is the requirement for longer studs and the pain of installing them. T

No, I didn't have any spacers in. 225 50 tyres from memory also.

You can always try them without and get spacers later if you feel the need. Not sure what guards your car has on the rear but if its lowered a tad they sit quite nice just inside without scrubbing.   

OZ - I've had a look at braid but for the price, its hard to go past the euromeister if we're still talking about replica's. By the time you've spent $700 US on a braid wheel plus postage, I figure you'd just go the extra stretch further for the genuine deal IMO.

Fair enough.  Have you tried getting a quote for the wheels to be freighted direct to Australia rather than going via the US ?

I am running 7/8 x 16 combo with 25mm spacers on the rear and 15mm spacers on the front and I like how the wheels fill the guards now with the slightly lowered ride height. 

One day I may go for the wider wheel configuration, but for now I am happy. 

pic 1 - front and rear spacers installed

_MG_9296_zpsac0bacc3.jpg

pic 2 - rear spacers only

_MG_9013_zpse9ea30e3.jpg

Thanks Hugh - that's exactly the kind of comparison I've been looking for. Assuming you used spacers behind the rear 7's as well? 

The other hindrance with spacers is the requirement for longer studs and the pain of installing them. T

if you can, get the rear spacers with studs installed. takes 5 min to install

the front 15mm spacers came as a kit with the longer studs included. got mine from Pelican 

removal of the original shorter studs is not too bad, but when installing the new longer studs, a good impact wrench and one open-end wheel nut makes all the difference 

I am running 7/8 x 16 combo with 25mm spacers on the rear and 15mm spacers on the front and I like how the wheels fill the guards now with the slightly lowered ride height. 

One day I may go for the wider wheel configuration, but for now I am happy. 

pic 1 - front and rear spacers installed

_MG_9296_zpsac0bacc3.jpg

pic 2 - rear spacers only

_MG_9013_zpse9ea30e3.jpg

Your car is looking great. They look like 6" on the front & 7" on the rear to me though?

Hi Dusty,I put a pair 8x16 Euromeisters on the rear of my SC and transferred the original 7,s to the front. They are virtually identical in appearance and whilst retaining the original tyre sizes it has filled the guards out very nicely.

The Euro,s come as a machined finish to the rim which looks close to the correct anodised finish of the standard SC Fuchs.

All round good result.

Being from the steam era I can not work out how to attach pictures,sorry.

Regards

Pete.

They're ordered - I'll keep my spare genuine 7's for now and do a bit of swapping back of forth cause I do like the pics hugh shared earlier. I suppose it all depends on how the surgery on my rear flares goes.

Also got some bargain turbo rocker covers and a rennline bower cover too so I'm going to declare it now, that's the last cash I'm spending on this car for a little while. What...! Why are you looking at me funny?!?!

Also got some bargain turbo rocker covers and a rennline bower cover too so I'm going to declare it now, that's the last cash I'm spending on this car for a little while. What...! Why are you looking at me funny?!?!

WE BELIEVE YOU !

pigs-fly_zpsmhtiguqm.jpg

Archived