What are the odds of finding this??

Dreamr

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TurboT

Let me know when you are done with them, I love the old magazines. I expect a full run down on prices and condition (of the cars) so I can start crying as to why I didn't get into the classic car game earlier!!!

had a quick flip though at work and I think you would be surprised. Most of the prices are more than today and if you count inflation cars were bloody expensive back in the 90's. Lambo Sydney had a new 930 turbo for sale for $220,000...thats close to $400,000 in todays money! Maybe there were some bargins to be had in the older cars. Most of the mags are in black and white so the plan is to take pics of all P-cars in the coloured sections only, post them, and if you recognize your car, PM me and the mag is yours. Might take a while though..

I thought about doing the same thing, but the work involved is enormous ... also, there a 5 times as many Porsches advertised in the b/w sections and a heap of the magazines I have don't even have a colour section ... they are entirely b/w.

You are right about the prices ... most of them are more than what we pay today ... and that was 30 years ago ... apart from say a '74RS, they certainly weren't cheaper.

Interesting....for all the hype around air cooled car prices skyrocketing it looks like the must have plummeted a hell of a lot since then to slowly claw their way only even party back by those values...  So it would look like there was definitely a time when air cooled owners felt like water cooled owners do now...  Maybe the smart money is now on buying up all the cheap 996/997's at the bottom of their curve???  One day there's going to be a whole generation of cashed up tech heads who always dreamed about owning a a Porsche like they had posters of back in the early 2000's....

Its almost as if 1997 prices are within a 10-15% margin of today's prices. Everyone talks about the time when they wish they bought a P-car, but clearly this wasn't the case in the 90's. Unfortunately i only got mags from the 80's-90's, but I am guessing that in the 2000's prices must have dropped alot. 

couple of examples:

1985 930 turbo with 60,000kms for sale for $130,000 - in todays money this is about $206,000

1981 SC with 65,000kms for sale for $45,000 - in todays money this is about $71,000

1978 SC with 84,000kms for sale for $32,000 - in todays money this is about $51,000

1982 coupe with 67,000kms for sale for $58,990 - in todays money this is about $93,000

In 2004 I looked at a 993 at DuttoNs. Was listed at $80k. Saw the same car in 2009 and it sold for $55. Now it would be back to $80

All suggests we potentially still have a way to go with values when in reality only the finest/rarest examples have reached or surpassed their original purchase price

Well, I did some old box opening - I drastically reduced my stash a few years back, but I found this gem:

image.jpg1_zpscphqucy5.jpg

Let's look at the Porsche pages

image.jpg2_zpsgbtfrewl.jpg

Anyone for a 1970-74 911s or e for $18-25k?

SCs have just about held with inflation given the recent slight uptick in asking prices, but you can't call the increase in prices stupid.

930 prices have kept up with inflation and it's really only the early cars which have leapt in price due to collectibility and rarity.

What about front engine cars?

image.jpg3_zpsqcxtxblw.jpg

Well, 924s low, 944s lowish unless turbo, 928s under appreciated and soft values, but good examples holding.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.....

23 years on carsales would be a record, although there are some targas that are getting close..

WTF is a poraga? - apparently quite popular in 1993

You are showing your lack of age by asking that question, turbo! (and I'm showing mine by knowing the answer)

A Poraga was / is a VW with a fibreglass kit made to somewhat resemble a Porsche. There was also a Porrera which was the convertible version.

They were very popular and there was a factory / distributor that sold just the kits alone, would fit a kit to your car, or would sell you the complete car with kit fitted.

Being an 80's kid, I always thought they were cool and another product of their time ......

Go and find a Purvis Eureka .... now that was a car I used to drool over when I was a kid with its hydraulic roof and all .....

There was a convertible for sale with a very 'reliable AM/FM radio' - was radio reliability an issue in the 90's?. Doesn't sound like the biggest selling point to mention. 'Butt ugly body kit' would have done. Could be a source of original 'Tea Trays' though as i assume they were the same 

Archived