Designing your own P car

turboT

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll have to dig them up off an old PC.  No pics of the pacer or chevy unfortunately.  They were before the days of digital cameras, and we chucked a lot of old photos when we moved house a few years back.  But I do have shots of the others somewhere.  I should just transfer everything to my photobucket.

I bought the 34 Plymouth R/P as an original chassis, a sedan cowl, fenders & grille surround.  I wanted to build something cheap and different.  I was inspired by Ralph Malph's pickup in Happy Days. The rear of the tub was made from, wait for it, part of the roof of a HR Holden sedan. The doors were chopped up HR front doors with new skins and home made hinges and sigma latches. The floor was just a flat floor - a sheet of 1.6 steel with some shapes formed into it. The body was channeled by about 4 inches.  Donor HR also supplied the front end, which was then fitted with HQ stubs & brakes, the heater demister, and numerous other odds & sods. I already had a Jag rear end from an S Type saloon. I also used a narrowed Morrie 1100 seat upholstered with with a genuine Mexican blanket that my dad brought back for me from Mexico.  It ran a stock wrecking yard special 302 Windsor & C4.  The rear tub was just made out of steel sheet and folded sections.  I took photos and measurements off an A Ford pickup bed, then I changed it slightly so it didn't look like an A Ford pickup bed .  Wheels were just 2nd hand big & little steelies (14's & 15's).  It took me nearly 2 years to build with regular help from a few mates. Ran around in grey primer for over a year. 

At that stage I was managing an engineering and sheetmetal workshop, so I had access to all the equipment I needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Again another one mans reimagining... :)

With oddities such as the st wheel detail agreed - RST make a bunch of cool parts though including alum doors bonnets engine lids etc for 911's. Have a team of old timer old skool polish coach Builders

Again another one mans reimagining... :)

With oddities such as the st wheel detail agreed - RST make a bunch of cool parts though including alum doors bonnets engine lids etc for 911's. Have a team of old timer old skool polish coach Builders

My wife is polish, however not even that gave any strength to my argument on this business.

The build on Pelican is a good one. it seems everyone was been inspired by Singer to do there own version? Or were these happening before (obviously not this one)

Still, can't fault Singers quality and attention to detail. No one goes to the same lengths they do. Have now probably see a dozen variations on the theme, but most seem focused on body shape and engine, and miss the quality feel. Sitting down with Nathan from autohaus this week to try and convince him to do this project together. I figure there are quite a few out their like me who have an idea of what they want but don't have the skill to build, or need to see a finished product before they will commit to a purchase. 

Can't fault the singer quality... However can it be emulated

I think it can with a well thought out and executed plan. After all, they're not doing anything new.

Still think that (reportedly) fake Heuer dash clock in the singer is tacky though.

Archived