Advice on Paint Correction

Dusty

I used clay on the car for the first time yesterday and while I'm very happy with the result, it's uncovered some small flaws in the paint that I'm not sure how to rectify being an amateur at such things. 

I've tried to take a photo to show the errors in the paint. Up close, it almost looks like a paint run turned orange peel that stretches for about 10 cm in the lower part of my front trunk. You can just see the area in the reflection of my garage ceiling where the roof access is.

DSCF4437_zpsn1jp5lj7.jpg

Hardware wise, I only have one of those cheap orbital polishers but I want to get a proper polisher, just dont know which one I should get. I know there's heaps of resources online with advice but I've not seen this particular paint defect mentioned so not even sure if it can be corrected by polishing or wet sanding. 

Any ideas or tips would be appreciated!

There's a product called Scholl Concepts S2 specifically designed for orange peel, it's pretty heavy stuff though & would definitely need a machine to do it. Think my machine is called  a DAS-6 from memory, is not just orbital so bit more forgiving to use. The pad selection would help determine how hard a cut it could give, heaps of options out there. Then obviously you'd need to move back down a couple of levels to a more mild polish etc to finish as something like this would leave marring I would think.

I use waxit.com.au for this stuff as I've been using him for years but I think we have a forum sponsor that would be able to help for this type of stuff? Would also have a lot better advice than I do.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Flatout - I just took a look on the waxit site and it's easy to see how people can stuff it up! 

Gone are the good old days when I'd just wash the car in some 'wax'n shine' 

A place in Newcastle.......................wholesalers to the panelbeaters/spraypainters, it's great stuff i have used it on 4 different cars now, 944 which is no clearcoat, a green Subaru, my grey I30, and my sons Falcon which is no clearcoat and same result every time not harsh on the finish either. Best $65 i have ever spent on any polish.

Any more details like name and street address? :)

No

I am going to have to get some of that myself.

Did you use a buffer or was it done by hand?

Both Dean

We may have to organise a group buy hey Pete, may get a discount.......

Dean,

Go ya halves in a bottle?  1/2 litre each will be more than plenty!

If you both give me a $100 each i will deliver to both your doors, deal? :D

I've got 3/4 of a bottle left, don't know the name of this place 'cos it's a couple of years now, but Pete its in the Adamstown Industrial area off drop in of Bailey street and it's 50m in on the left.

Well I hope you can Pete cause I have nio idea where you guys are talking about but am still keen.......

Let me know how you go and i'll split a bottle with you or go for a full bottle ok.

Would give us an excuse, not that it's needed, to catch up for a drive........

Dusty i dont think Swirl remover will remove that line , you dont think it might be a rust spot hard to say from the pic

i would  give these guys a call its a local Sunshine coast Co  ,we sell there product too :rolleyes: and many others

that can get rid of swirl marks ,all our  cars are swirl free 

Dan Bowden    you can send him a pic 

http://www.bowdensown.com.au/premium-car-care

Local Sunshine coast business    

Thanks Paul, I know a mutual mate of his so will give him a try. 

You can't recommend a good value polisher can you? The more I read detailing forums the more I think I need a $700+ machine before sense takes over... 

Yeah, I thought I was fussy with my car until I started reading 'detailers paradise' forum!

I can't remember what I paid for mine at the time but I do remember I just closed my eyes and pretended not to have seen the price. But don't think of it now everytime I have to clean the car, makes life a lot easier.

Thanks Pete,

Was hoping to get up there and organise something with you soon....

I owe you half....

Will get onto it and talk to Tingy, we can organise something soon I hope.

Thanks again Pete.

I used "My Son".  No effort and came up a treat.

IMG_1106_zpslkgswckd.jpg

Although his " why does it need a turbo badge look"  was a topic of discussion and education.

IMG_1104_zpspaonrngh.jpg

What do you expect from a Skyline driver !! ?

TINGY, or anyone who has used the JUICE swirl remover, did you do the STEP1 COMPUNDING step first?

The COMPUNDING step, appears to be a light cutting agent which is also water based along with the STEP 2 SWIRL REMOVING PROCESS.

Very impressive product and good DIY website videos.

Tracked down and picked up a litre of SWIRL here in Vic.

Apparently it is going gangbusters in NSW, QLD and S.A. but not much happening with it here in Vic. 

If anyone is trying to ring the suppliers in Moorabbin, you will probably be having trouble because the phone numbers listed on the JUICE website and in the white pages are wrong.

Suppliers are ART (Automotive Refinish Technology) 7/56 Keys Road, Moorabbin.  

Phone number 9276 4222

$66.54 for the litre.  (inc GST)  

They tell me the Compound Q (stage 1) is not required unless there are scratches in the paintwork.

Apparently SWIRL gives a great result on darker coloured cars.

They also tell me to wax over the finished SWIRL application.    

As long as it is a good wax or sealer it will be ok.

Hopefully give it a go on the fleet in the next couple of weeks and will report the result and before and after photos.

Archived