930 Classic Test

CarreraG50

Or if you're accelerating hard in a corner you could lose it. Or in the rain, you could lose it. 

"This is terrible to drive in the city because of the clutch and the transmission. But again, once you're on the highway, it's fine," Peters says.

"Are the lower gears just too tall?" we ask him.

"Yeah, and the turbo lag is terrible," Peters says. "The turbo lag was improved significantly with the B&B headers and exhaust -- that took it down to starting to feel the turbo around 2,500 rpm. Otherwise it's like driving a [Citroen] 2CV. Until it hits 3,000, and then it's like a rocket ship. Which is another reason the values weren't that high on these. The maintenance is relatively expensive and they're probably less enjoyable to drive as a weekend tourer than a regular 3.2-liter Carrera."

With supercar performance comes supercar maintenance, and even when the 930 Turbo wasn't trading north of $100,000 on the collector market, it could still generate an impressive maintenance bill. We asked Peters about the items he's had to address in the recent past and if this model has any particular Achilles' heel.

"These things always have oil leaks. I mean, it only has 34,000 miles on it, so I don't drive it much," Peters replies. "I just got this back a couple weeks ago, it was $25,000 for the service because it had a bunch of oil leaks. I had to have the top end rebuilt which was about $15,000, and it got to the point where it was one thing after another that they were finding, and I had some work done on the air conditioning, and I had to put new tires on the car. Oh, and I had a new clutch put in as long as they had the engine out to do the top end rebuild. I basically had every single thing done to make it mechanically perfect."

This should be a sticky

Shame TurboT didnt read the first paragraph ;-)

oi

..just did - yes will take more care now in the wet :)

no turbo lag in the 85, and actually ok to drive around the city. The long gears are close to driving an Auto - once you are in second you can pretty much leave it there.

Even the Ford guy at the Tamworth Car Show was telling his girl friend how "these (Porsche) things" spin out on corners.

So must be right   :wacko:

…….maybe I should sell it and buy a big lumbering XA Foulcan or somfing simlar cos them handles proppa…like !

Archived