Soft Leather Care

Bill

I just got my first Porsche with the 'soft leather' option. Had I known 'soft leather' meant "Don't sit on it unless you want to scratch, mark or dent it" I might have reconsidered. Any advice for keeping this stuff healthy? I didn't think I was overly vicious on my interior, but it is starting to look like the Hell's Angels have been renting my car.

Hi Bill,

I also have a 996 with soft leather. I was buying a pair of jeans last week and when I told the guy I could't buy a pair that has metal rivets on the back because they would scratch my seats he looked at me like I was from outer space. I had tried all the Armour All products as well as the Maguires leather Foam, none of which worked very well. I did buy a bottle of the Porsche Leather Conditioner from Porsche Centre Melbourne.It is a 'wipe on, wipe off' liquid. I am not one that usually rushes to buy factory gear but this has been by far the best product for it. Needs to go on every 2-3 months (driver seat gets a regular dose). It was $37.50.

Regards

• 3 months later...

hi guys i just purchased this stuff to fix entry and exit scuffs on the side bolster of drivers seat

where the colour was rubbed off ,

i just followed the instructions and hey presto you cannot tell where the scuffing was, really amazing

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230425037518&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_5336wt_939

• 5 months later...

What did you buy off EBAY? I could not see anything when I clicked the link.

I use some Auto Glym Leather Conditioner and also some leather conditioner with dye in it. I got this from Garry Blackler in Richmond.

In tandem they work fine. But always interested to see what else is out there.

• 11 months later...

My 911 that I took delivery of yesterday is a soft leather model with Tan seats. The car has low mileage, but the seats have some dirt ingrained into the cracks of the leather that I would like to clean. (very minor) Can anyone recommend a product that will not be harsh on the soft leather and non abrasive??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

ROB

• 2 weeks later...

anyone wanna go left field but for a hell of a lot cheaper and with a better result than all of those...

try a mix of, liquid hand soap, olive oil, and lemon juice...

it is awesome, i tried it first in the 328i convertible which as you can imagine had an absolute hammering from aussie conditions...

the seats were like sandpaper but after a weekly wipe over for about 6 weeks then once a month with regular cleaning it was better than new...

if anyone is interested i can post the exact recipe...i made such a huge batch cos the recipe looked so small and use so little i won't need to make any for at least another year...

Pete

anyone wanna go left field but for a hell of a lot cheaper and with a better result than all of those...

try a mix of, liquid hand soap, olive oil, and lemon juice...

it is awesome, i tried it first in the 328i convertible which as you can imagine had an absolute hammering from aussie conditions...

the seats were like sandpaper but after a weekly wipe over for about 6 weeks then once a month with regular cleaning it was better than new...

if anyone is interested i can post the exact recipe...i made such a huge batch cos the recipe looked so small and use so little i won't need to make any for at least another year...

Pete

Pete, that sounds sensational. If you wouldnt mind posting the recipe or PM'ing it that would be very much appreciated.

Would love to give it a try.

Thanks very much!!

Cheers

ROB

WARNING...as per all major brands, test a little before your start splashing it on like BRUT33...

You will need:

1 old plastic re-sealable container, cos you will probably not use all this mix unless your leather is like cardboard...

1 sponge

1 dry soft LINT FREE cloth

No gloves needed as its good for your hands too...

Combine

30ml of a vegetable-oil-based soap, such as castile (Liquid Hand Soap)

60ml of Olive Oil

1 teaspoon Essential Lemon Oil

Please follow recipe and don't try to substitute any of the ingredients...

Yes it doesn't look pretty and who would rub that on their leather but believe me you will want to rub it on again...

All you do is gently dip the sponge in the mix, don't dunk as it will get saturated eventually anyway andbelieve me you don'twant to have to try to wring out the sponge...

Wipe over all leather and vinyl as per your usual plastic fantastic products.

Then wipe off with dry cloth, please use lint free...HAHAHA if you don't...

I like to do an entire seat then wipe it off, or if your interior is very dry maybe try wiping over entire car then leave in the sun before re-applying then wipe off, make sure your cover everything cos this works so well if you miss a spot guaranteed you wil see it next time your driving down the road...

AND BE CAREFUL WITH IT ON THE STEERING WHEEL...

Good Luck Guys

Cheers

Pete...

WARNING...as per all major brands, test a little before your start splashing it on like BRUT33...

You will need:

1 old plastic re-sealable container, cos you will probably not use all this mix unless your leather is like cardboard...

1 sponge

1 dry soft LINT FREE cloth

No gloves needed as its good for your hands too...

Combine

30ml of a vegetable-oil-based soap, such as castile (Liquid Hand Soap)

60ml of Olive Oil

1 teaspoon Essential Lemon Oil

Please follow recipe and don't try to substitute any of the ingredients...

Yes it doesn't look pretty and who would rub that on their leather but believe me you will want to rub it on again...

All you do is gently dip the sponge in the mix, don't dunk as it will get saturated eventually anyway andbelieve me you don'twant to have to try to wring out the sponge...

Wipe over all leather and vinyl as per your usual plastic fantastic products.

Then wipe off with dry cloth, please use lint free...HAHAHA if you don't...

I like to do an entire seat then wipe it off, or if your interior is very dry maybe try wiping over entire car then leave in the sun before re-applying then wipe off, make sure your cover everything cos this works so well if you miss a spot guaranteed you wil see it next time your driving down the road...

AND BE CAREFUL WITH IT ON THE STEERING WHEEL...

Good Luck Guys

Cheers

Pete...

Thanks Pete, you are a champion!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

I am new to the forum but have something to add here.

Go to a Leather clothing store and buy a tin of leather beeswax conditioner.

get a rag and apply in small amount and rub it in. This is time consuming and there will be a slight residue . never fear. keep rubbing it in.

It will keep your leather soft and form a protective coating from spills. It will also reduce sun damage.

my 2c

Nicko

• 1 year later...

Another option I was advised by a leather repair person who did porsches said a soapy wipe down with PEARS and then a wipe off with a damp cloth...

I have been doing this the past 2+ years and the leather looks as good as ever...

I just got my first Porsche with the 'soft leather' option. Had I known 'soft leather' meant "Don't sit on it unless you want to scratch, mark or dent it" I might have reconsidered. Any advice for keeping this stuff healthy? I didn't think I was overly vicious on my interior, but it is starting to look like the Hell's Angels have been renting my car.

Bill, I had a 996 with blue soft leather, I used Porsche leather products to great effect. It's expensive & is in a small container but it has lasted 4 Porsches. Hope this helps.

I followed Kelly's tip and tried Gliptone!  It brought up a deeper colour in the Boxster and a terrific leather smell.  I keep a microfibre cloth in the car with some conditioner impregnated and wipe it over the seats from time to time.

Archived