Hi everyone,

Read alot but never posted. My question is,

How many aussie delivered coupes were made and what does everyone think the value of one of these might be these days?

Hard question i know.

Mid 100k's good condition with service history.

Thanks in advance

Ultimately it's worth what you want to pay for it.

In today's market you don't have much play or time to scratch your head to make a decision.

Without knowing the car or its history an Aussie delivered 491 with provenance that may need minor items of attention would have to have a 7 in front of it.

Hi Craig,

To answer the first part of your question, from my understanding there were 7 coupes bought into Australia from the years 1984 to 1988/89.

The second part is anyone's guess really.

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Hi Craig,

To answer the first part of your question, from my understanding there were 7 coupes bought into Australia from the years 1984 to 1988/89.

The second part is anyone's guess really.

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Without knowing the car or its history an Aussie delivered 491 with provenance that may need minor items of attention would have to have a 7 in front of it.

wouldn't surprise me at all if it had a 1 in front of it

40 coupes unofficially. There are no official numbers because Porsche never assigned specific vin numbers to the widebody. It's kind of like asking how many were delivered with full leather interior. So the simple answer is not many. As far as value goes, it's almost impossible to say because there hasn't been one sold since the market went stupid. 2.5 years ago, I paid $55k for mine, a good narrow body was considered to be worth $50k at the time. Other M491s had gone for around $60k in the previous 2 years (so up to 4 years ago) So maybe you could say the premium back then was $5-$10k. Now I don't even know what a narrow body is worth today. Aus delivered with those kms maybe $70s so maybe $75-$80k for an M491? It's also really hard to know because while cars are being advertised for stupid prices, they're not necessarily selling for that much. Are we talking about a specific car (maybe a dark blue one that was recently advertised for $59k?)

Speaking of "that blue one" I spoke to the guy selling it (after it had sold of course) and he advised it was a factory guards red but had been painted inside / out in blue some time ago.....

There was an Aus del M491 in blue I was considering when I bought my red 3.2 narrow body from Autohaus, some 4yrs ago.  The M491 was about the same money from memory as my narrow, but the condition was a little worse (paint in particular - looked like poor repairs), so I went with the better condition and lower km car

I just acquired a 1987 M491 targa. A UK delivered car but inspection by T& D in Brisbane confirmed no rust at all. Pretty clean car with a full engine rebuild 16,000km ago. From a  bit of research, it appears that the 1987 UK had the 231 hp engine which is a bonus coupled with the G50 gearbox.

So I guess be prepared to look at UK imports as long as not rusty. I had dismissed the idea of an import but if not rusty are a good proposition with higher compression high horsepower engine.

Congrats. Nothing wrong with an import. They were all made in the same place. Condition is key. If it's a good car, it's a good car. Enjoy it.

Targa has 137,000 miles, so just over 200,000kms. Not  a lot really for a 28 year old car and a folder an inch thick showing maintenance in last 20 years.

Will set about tidying up interior with new sliverknit carpet and reinstall period radio and speakers grilles and a few other bits and pieces

I just acquired a 1987 M491 targa. A UK delivered car but inspection by T& D in Brisbane confirmed no rust at all. Pretty clean car with a full engine rebuild 16,000km ago. From a  bit of research, it appears that the 1987 UK had the 231 hp engine which is a bonus coupled with the G50 gearbox.

So I guess be prepared to look at UK imports as long as not rusty. I had dismissed the idea of an import but if not rusty are a good proposition with higher compression high horsepower engine.

Was that the silver one advertised a couple of weeks ago ? Saw that one a bit too late...

Yes advertised on the Monday and I just happened to be home that day (sick child)  browsing carsales.com.au and it came up. Was only alerted by carsales an hour or so later. Owner was surprised it had even been listed at that time.

Anyway, needs a few things doing to it ( I am pedantice) but none mechanical.  Are you also after a M491?

It just appealed to me as a wide bodied car (I do think they look better) with a recently rebuilt engine, for the money it seemed a good deal. Being a Brit I'm less concerned about the UK import issues as I know they rust regardless, in fact I've seen Oz cars with more rust than UK cars, all depends on the environment.

Well done on picking it up !

Yes advertised on the Monday and I just happened to be home that day (sick child)  browsing carsales.com.au and it came up. Was only alerted by carsales an hour or so later. Owner was surprised it had even been listed at that time.

Anyway, needs a few things doing to it ( I am pedantice) but none mechanical.  Are you also after a M491?

Saw a silver wide body Targa this morning (not) driving down Marine Pde this morning. Yours?

There was an Aus del M491 in blue I was considering when I bought my red 3.2 narrow body from Autohaus, some 4yrs ago.  The M491 was about the same money from memory as my narrow, but the condition was a little worse (paint in particular - looked like poor repairs), so I went with the better condition and lower km car

I remember the red one when it was for sale. Very glad you didn't buy that blue one ;) I bought it off the owner who bought it from AH. He was daily driving it and decided to trade for something newer so only had it for 15 months. The paint certainly isn't prisitine and it did have a crappy repair job on the front quarter. I had grand plans of repainting but I was lucky enough to hit a kangaroo which damaged that quarter. It has since been repaired properly with an excellent finish thanks to the insurance company. I also had plans to eventually respray the entire car but so many people tell me how good the car looks and how immaculate it is. I recently had one guy wind his window down and ask if I did the restoration. So what's the point in forking out thousands of dollars to get it looking mint when from a couple metres away, it already looks mint. Plus I have young kids that do their best to make it look worse. I think when they're old enough to respect it I'll think about it again but at the moment it's nice not having to stress about stone ships and blemishes. So thanks for not buying it :) Not that I wouldn't have fallen in love with a different car (Next car to come on the market which I would have bought was an '87 Silver 3.2 with 130,000kms for $50k)

Archived