Cayman S Exhaust options

TE911

Need some help.

Looking for a new sports exhaust for the 987 Cayman S.

Ive looked around on YouTube and and found a few that i like.

Tubi, Remus, Capristo and Fabspeed.

Im really considering the Borla exhaust but not sure where i can get one in Aus or if its street legal here in NSW?

Thanks

Need some help.

Looking for a new sports exhaust for the 987 Cayman S.

Ive looked around on YouTube and and found a few that i like.

Tubi, Remus, Capristo and Fabspeed.

Im really considering the Borla exhaust but not sure where i can get one in Aus or if its street legal here in NSW?

Thanks

You've looked at all the obvious choices, and...they're not bad. Now go and check out Carnewal. Closest you'll get to a GTS / GT4 sound on your '07. http://www.carnewal.com/   I have one on my '06 S. It doesn't drone, it looks stock (I got them to include factory sport tips) and it sounds like an angry God. 

After you've installed it, I'll PM my address so you can send a "thankyou" case of wine. 

Youtube is useless for getting an idea of the real sound, as people use crappy mics to capture their vids. That said, this one is worth a listen. Yes, the techno at the start is an intentional joke. 

https://youtu.be/vbS-JMnMwV4

You've looked at all the obvious choices, and...they're not bad. Now go and check out Carnewal. Closest you'll get to a GTS / GT4 sound on your '07. http://www.carnewal.com/   I have one on my '06 S. It doesn't drone, it looks stock (I got them to include factory sport tips) and it sounds like an angry God. 

After you've installed it, I'll PM my address so you can send a "thankyou" case of wine. 

Thanks.

Ive heard the Carnewal GT exhaust from Mike D'Silvas video.

It does sound great! :D

There's just something about that Borla exhaust.

10986377_860577167339360_1190404061_n.jp

Thanks.

Ive heard the Carnewal GT exhaust from Mike D'Silvas video.

It does sound great! :D

That video was done shortly after I installed it... 

A couple of thousand kms after, it changed.... it became really loud when I opened it up.. i mean it SCREAMED... sounded very "high end european" as opposed to cheapo loud... 

I'm thinking of ditching my current car to go back to a cayman S.. the sound and the feel are sensational.

Whatever you do, enjoy the car!

I have a Remus exhaust on my CS with fabspeed headers. The only time I found it drones is going up hill in a high gear (eg doing 70 in 5th).

I drive it on freeway every day and the exhaust is only about the same level as the road noise at 110.

When you give it some beans though it screams!

I too am looking for a sportier sounding exhaust. I like the Carnewal product..anyone purchased directly from them? Did you send them your old exhaust or just pay the extra? Any idea on shipping costs?

Youtube is useless for getting an idea of the real sound, as people use crappy mics to capture their vids. That said, this one is worth a listen. Yes, the techno at the start is an intentional joke. 

https://youtu.be/vbS-JMnMwV4

Yeah YouTube is pretty useless i had to sieve though a lot of vids. Not complaining :)

HAHA the techno. Great sounding exhaust.

I think im just gonna have to hear some exhausts in person

Try this link. I'm not sure if the Borla is legal in Aus. They advertise it for off road use only.

http://www.cruisinon.com.au/cayman-caymans-boxster-2005-2008-cat-back

Thanks for the link. I had a feeling that it wasn't street legal. :(

I guess ill have to send a email just to make sure.

That video was done shortly after I installed it... 

A couple of thousand kms after, it changed.... it became really loud when I opened it up.. i mean it SCREAMED... sounded very "high end european" as opposed to cheapo loud... 

I'm thinking of ditching my current car to go back to a cayman S.. the sound and the feel are sensational.

Whatever you do, enjoy the car!

Im hearing a lot of good things about the Carnewal GT. Yeah i don't want anything too obnoxious like most of the "cheapo" exhaust.

What are you driving now? ive lost track.

Don't worry about enjoyment, the car is my daily. :D

I have a Remus exhaust on my CS with fabspeed headers. The only time I found it drones is going up hill in a high gear (eg doing 70 in 5th).

I drive it on freeway every day and the exhaust is only about the same level as the road noise at 110.

When you give it some beans though it screams!

Did you purchase your car with that set up or did you do it?

I was looking at the Remus exhaust but i want to find a seller in Aus.

Its good to hear that there isn't too must drone either.

I too am looking for a sportier sounding exhaust. I like the Carnewal product..anyone purchased directly from them? Did you send them your old exhaust or just pay the extra? Any idea on shipping costs?

I have the same questions regarding the Carnewal GT as well. Hopefully we'll get some answers. 

I got my car with the exhaust already on it. I could try to video it, but as previously mentioned that is not that accurate. I am looking at trying to do the catch up for the July Cars and Coffee, so if you are planning on heading along you can check it out in person.

I got my car with the exhaust already on it. I could try to video it, but as previously mentioned that is not that accurate. I am looking at trying to do the catch up for the July Cars and Coffee, so if you are planning on heading along you can check it out in person.

Cars and Coffee sounds good, hopefully i don't settle for a exhaust by then.

Nevertheless ill still try and make it to catch up.

Check out the Cargraphics sports exhaust.

My 07 Cayman S already had it installed when I bought her a little over 12 months ago.

Previous owner acquired it from PCB off a traded car which they wanted stock before it was sold. Direct swap I believe - very nice!

I love it!

No drone. It roars when you open her up, pops as you decelerate and the reverb as you go through a tunnel or through the spur is awesome.

Check it out! Only problem is they are a bit pricey.

I bought my Carnewal system directly from Gert in Belgium.

He is a fantastic person to deal with via email. 

It was not really a viable option to ship my system to him, then have it modded and shipped back, so I bought a system outright. 

You have to tell him the mileage of your car, so that he sends you a system in similar condition to your system. Or you could take a photo of yours and send it so he can match external condition. I was happy with the ones he sent me.

I cannot remember the total amount but I am certain it was under $1000 all up... the reason I say that, is that I'm pretty sure customs duties and GST were avoided.... However with exchange rates now, perhaps it might be different? 

http://www.carnewal.com/products/P87/p87007/P87-1-Carnewal-GT-Exhaust

I bought a Borla muffler for my 986s and it droned so badly it was gross and embarrassing.

To their credit they refunded all my costs.

I then googled 986s modified exhaust.

The mod was to drill a 12mm hole inside the tip where it turns at a right angle. This bypasses one chamber of 5 in the stock muffler and sounds great. Bigger hole = louder. Warning 25mm starts to drone.

This seems a rough way to do it, but works. Cost of an extra long 12mm drill bit, 15 bucks.

I can't remember the site I found this on atm. The original guy cut the top out of the muffler to expose the chambers and figure it out.

Check out the Cargraphics sports exhaust.

My 07 Cayman S already had it installed when I bought her a little over 12 months ago.

Previous owner acquired it from PCB off a traded car which they wanted stock before it was sold. Direct swap I believe - very nice!

I love it!

No drone. It roars when you open her up, pops as you decelerate and the reverb as you go through a tunnel or through the spur is awesome.

Check it out! Only problem is they are a bit pricey.

Thanks for the variant system ill read a bit more into it. Sounds like a great system from your description.

I bought my Carnewal system directly from Gert in Belgium.

He is a fantastic person to deal with via email. 

It was not really a viable option to ship my system to him, then have it modded and shipped back, so I bought a system outright. 

You have to tell him the mileage of your car, so that he sends you a system in similar condition to your system. Or you could take a photo of yours and send it so he can match external condition. I was happy with the ones he sent me.

I cannot remember the total amount but I am certain it was under $1000 all up... the reason I say that, is that I'm pretty sure customs duties and GST were avoided.... However with exchange rates now, perhaps it might be different? 

http://www.carnewal.com/products/P87/p87007/P87-1-Carnewal-GT-Exhaust

Thanks again Mike.

Ive been reading nothing but good news about Gert and his product.

I might do the same as you because i want to keep my stock exhaust.

Do you remember how long it took for the system to arrive?

I bought a Borla muffler for my 986s and it droned so badly it was gross and embarrassing.

To their credit they refunded all my costs.

I then googled 986s modified exhaust.

The mod was to drill a 12mm hole inside the tip where it turns at a right angle. This bypasses one chamber of 5 in the stock muffler and sounds great. Bigger hole = louder. Warning 25mm starts to drone.

This seems a rough way to do it, but works. Cost of an extra long 12mm drill bit, 15 bucks.

I can't remember the site I found this on atm. The original guy cut the top out of the muffler to expose the chambers and figure it out.

Thanks for sharing your experience of the Borla exhaust, sadly i don't think its even street legal for the Cayman.

I remember reading about that 986 exhaust mod, i think it was from the 986forum. But i didn't want to tamper with my 986 exhaust.

I bought direct from Gert, although I paid about $1800 landed (Customs will get you for tax on anything over $1,000, even car parts). I also chose two options that upped the price: I went for factory sport tips, rather than keep my stock dual tips, and I also went for a virtually brand new exhaust.

Usually the idea is that you get Gert to re-engineer an exhaust that is a similar age / mileage to yours. Since it was uneconomical to ship my own system to Gert for an exchange, I opted to buy a low mileage version from him. Under 10,000kms I think.

No regrets on the purchase. May be a little loud for some, but I want to hear all those dinosaurs being turned into sound. I owe it to them.   

I bought direct from Gert, although I paid about $1800 landed (Customs will get you for tax on anything over $1,000, even car parts). I also chose two options that upped the price: I went for factory sport tips, rather than keep my stock dual tips, and I also went for a virtually brand new exhaust.

Usually the idea is that you get Gert to re-engineer an exhaust that is a similar age / mileage to yours. Since it was uneconomical to ship my own system to Gert for an exchange, I opted to buy a low mileage version from him. Under 10,000kms I think.

No regrets on the purchase. May be a little loud for some, but I want to hear all those dinosaurs being turned into sound. I owe it to them.   

Thanks,

I was wondering if i could get a newer exhaust rather than one that matches my KMs.

Whats the price difference from one that matches KMs and one that's newer?

Thankfully my car came with the factory sports tips.

Okay so i narrowed the list down. Which do you think sounds best?

1. The Borla Exhaust ( Apparently it should be "ok" for NSW streets ) :unsure:

2. The Carnewal GT

3. The AWE Tuning Exhaust

The Carnewal, but I'm biased!. Had the system fitted at Autohaus and when I picked the car up, their comments were all I needed to hear.

They'd never heard anyhting quite like it, and were confused as to why I was getting them to take off a stock exhaust, and fit....a stock exhaust.Until they fired it up that is.

The fitting price ended up being less than their quote, because they assumed that I had bought an aftermarket system. Apparently none of the aftermarket systems are a straight fit to the Cayman's headers and take more time to fit as a result.

They also mentioned the relative lack of drone compared to most systems they're familiar with, and they've seen them all. Autohaus will fit anything you bring, but there is another exhaust not on your list, that they can supply and fit. They only sell it because it ticks the boxes of an easy fit and little drone. Buggered if I can remember the name, but give them a call. They've fitted them to a few custome cars I think.

BTW, that vid you attached of Gert's exhaust is one of the ones I looked at before buying it. It sounds pretty good but doesn't compare to the real life sound. To summarise the above...my windows are very rarely closed now.

They'd never heard anyhting quite like it, and were confused as to why I was getting them to take off a stock exhaust, and fit....a stock exhaust.Until they fired it up that is.

The fitting price ended up being less than their quote, because they assumed that I had bought an aftermarket system. Apparently none of the aftermarket systems are a straight fit to the Cayman's headers and take more time to fit as a result.

Hahaha the look on their faces would have been satisfying after the first start up.

Ive been leaning closer and closer to the Carnewal system.

They also mentioned the relative lack of drone compared to most systems they're familiar with, and they've seen them all. Autohaus will fit anything you bring, but there is another exhaust not on your list, that they can supply and fit. They only sell it because it ticks the boxes of an easy fit and little drone. Buggered if I can remember the name, but give them a call. They've fitted them to a few custome cars I think.

Thanks i might just have to contact them for more advise.

Was the other exhaust called a "Dansk Sport system" i cant find any videos on how it sounds.

Hahaha the look on their faces would have been satisfying after the first start up.

Ive been leaning closer and closer to the Carnewal system.

Thanks i might just have to contact them for more advise.

Was the other exhaust called a "Dansk Sport system" i cant find any videos on how it sounds.

You got it, it was the Dansk. Couldn't find any vids either, but a I heard a black Cayman S with it (car was for sale last year) and it sounded good. Reminded me of the factory sport exhaust, but a little more aggressive. 

You got it, it was the Dansk. Couldn't find any vids either, but a I heard a black Cayman S with it (car was for sale last year) and it sounded good. Reminded me of the factory sport exhaust, but a little more aggressive. 

Thanks for the insight on the Dansk. Is it almost like the Carnewal system sound wise ?

I spoke with Autohaus and they recommended the Dansk, Carnewal and their own equivalent to the Carnewal.

I still dont know what system is best for me. I want something that will a crackle and pop plus some more power.

Hopefully ill make up my mind by next week.

The Carnewal equivalent must be a new Autohaus offering!

Does James of anyone have more info on this unit, even a descriptive comparison to the Carnewal product? :)

They have the same process as Gert. Come in exchange your exhaust for one of their modified stock exhausts, in and out in a day.
I was told that they can make it louder or quitter to suit what your after.
They are using this system on their Cayman 4.0L.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay so the Borla exhaust is out, after speaking with a few who own it saying its too loud for a daily. Ive got a feeling that the AWE will be the same.

data_image.jpg

Now im looking at the Carnewal GT or the Dansk exhaust.

Im still not 100% on the Carnewal GT.

I found a clip of the Dansk exhaust (FVD Boombacher) that Autohaus recommends.

What do you guys think?

Archived