Windscreen seal

Don't do it! Let a pro windscreen fitter install it for around $100

Some owners have been successful, some have had heartbreak (and the windscreen!) costing triple what it would cost to have it done by someone else professionally.

I wasn't brave enough to do mine

I'm chasing wind noise as well; it only appears at highway speeds when the windows are up if that sounds similar?

From my research and experiments it can be the windscreen seal but can also be front hood seals, side mirror, window frame alignment, door caps/bungs (including a hidden one that's a known culprit underneath the doors) or any one of the door seals. I'm hoping mine will be cured by a new felt door seal that was missing...

RE the windscreen seal - I had to reinstall my rear side windows which is a similar but easier job and it really sucked... almost as frustrating as watching reality television. I'd pass the front windscreen job over to the pro's if you're sure it needs doing.

I'm chasing wind noise as well; it only appears at highway speeds when the windows are up if that sounds similar?

From my research and experiments it can be the windscreen seal but can also be front hood seals, side mirror, window frame alignment, door caps/bungs (including a hidden one that's a known culprit underneath the doors) or any one of the door seals. I'm hoping mine will be cured by a new felt door seal that was missing...

RE the windscreen seal - I had to reinstall my rear side windows which is a similar but easier job and it really sucked... almost as frustrating as watching reality television. I'd pass the front windscreen job over to the pro's if you're sure it needs doing.

I will start with the windscreen seal  ordered today ,

when it comes  i will give O`Briens a call  hope the know what they doing  :(

Just make sure the contractors insurance is valid and you'll be right.

I know someone that had some dramas when the installer cracked the windscreen.

If they break it, its their problem

Using a paid contractor for anything these days unfortunately isn't about buying their skills, but buying peace of mind that you won't be paying extra if it goes to crap. Depending on the job, ask yourself, do you want to foot the bill if YOU break it?

Btw. Surely your insurance will cover you for replacing a screen and seal which is obviously damaged and unroadworthy. ;)

I had an issue with a locally manufactured screen not being the right 'shape' (and was slowly popping out and letting air in) was resolved by fitting a Windscreens O'Brien screen.

I've also (not surprisingly) had issues with some of the cheaper URO branded windscreen/targa seals being too small which I'm currently chasing up with the reseller.

Remove the old windscreen and seal,
Remove rear vision mirror fitting,
Clean aperture,
Prepare new seal with sealant,
Install on windscreen,
Install "magic" cord,
Fit to aperture without breaking windscreen and damaging anything else,
Clean excess sealant,
Refit rear vision mirror.

$280? I'd happily paid that given the alternative of doing it yourself! :)

• 1 month later...

Archived