Looking to get a >2003 Boxster S - Advice please

Davion

Make me an offer I can't refuse for mine. 2007 5 speed, arctic silver, just been serviced, new front rotors and pads, new water pump as old one was weeping slightly, 53,000 odd km. full service history, PM if interested.

Davion have you driven the 2.7 987?  Its a very responsive and good car to drive. On paper the power output is only marginally lower than the 986 S. If you haven't, I'd check it out.

Weltmeister did the IMS solution on my 987 when I had it and I could not fault their service.

I also cannot see them selling any Porsche that has issues. They have to provide a warranty on it. And they full well know what repairs cost, so why would they risk it?

BAFE got his 987 from them and his car has been excellent.

Thats a good point. I haven't thought of that tbh. In my mind I was just thinking S means more powerrrrr (insert jeremy clarkson). I'll have another read into it. Maybe I might consider Steve's ;).

With regards to Weltmeisters, I'm unsure partly cos they never got back to me with regards to my queries, hence I'm erring to the side of caution. I did ask about warranty, and the guy said its only a 3month statutory warranty (unless buyer purchases the extended warranty). Do Weltmeister's sell consignment cars? And should I be worried if the rego hasn't been renewed? Finally, would you get a PPI done for the car even if its from Weltmeister's?

I'd give them another go, ring them and see if you can speak to Matt.  From my knowledge and experience, he's very approachable, a sales man too - so if you emailed your questions maybe they got lost or something?

Be a shame to miss out on a potentially good car.

Yes I think a PPI for peace of mind is worth doing.

As for consignment, I dont know - ask them. they have to disclose that I'd think??

I went to see a few cars today and I'm glad I did. There is a massive difference with what you read and see in reality. Its very unlikely that I'll pick either of them, but it gives me a better insight of what to expect. 

Tbh for the interstate cars, I think I do need to fly down to physically inspect it first.

P.S: I drove a Golf R as well, that thing is amazing.

*Hunt continues.....

Ahh yes condition I'm guessing you mean.

You could always ask PFA members in other states to check out cars for you first too - If there's any Boxsters near me, I'd be happy to go have a look at them for you. I can suss out the cosmetic condition no worries :)  and look at the books for history etc  but wouldn't comment on mechanicals at all. 

Yes, I meant condition :) It was all just trimming in the boots anyway, so I could only do cosmetic inspections and a test drive.

I'm in 2 minds atm with the base and boxster S. I think I'll choose a 987 over a 986S (as its marginal in power like you said amanda) just because its newer. Though at the same time, I feel that from what is available from carsales, 987 prices seem to be on par or minimal difference with the S, so it does make sense for a few grand more to get the 987S. But at the same time, I'm already stretching my budget pretty far. :(

Dilemma dilemma.. 

I wanted the 987 Cayman. My budget would have been stretched so far I probably would have had to sell it by now.

I tried to buy 987 Boxster and the 2001 986s surfaced. 

I'm glad I did, as it's easily affordable for me, which means I can modify and repair, and keep it. No drama.

I do have Cayman envy now...thanks Niko ☺ 

Might be stating the obvious here but don't forget the extra cost of fuel for the 2.7 vs S model as well.

When I bought the SLK350 years ago, I never considered this, didn't even register on my brain... first time I filled it from empty and it went over $100 I got a bit of a :o  as I didn't even think of that!

As someone who sold their 987 and literally cried the day the deal was done,  work within your budget. The car will be far more enjoyable as well as you will have no guilt.

I'll be back - once my probationary period is over in my new job, I've decided to get another one. 

I have to weigh up the salary sacrificing of a 2011+ model 987 with DFI engine  vs buying another 2005 987 (not under salary sacrifice) and doing the IMS retrofit (AGAIN unless I find one already done). Not sure which way to go.  If anyone here knows how to work out the financial aspects of both and can help me with this, I'd love to hear from them  No rush as I have months to consider it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm biting the bullet and getting the Boxster S. :)

Got Weltmeister's to do a PPI and Matt called me up and we ran through the list together. Really impressed with that. Will get them to do the IMS, clutch, service at the same time then I'll fly over and drive it back!

Exciting times!!

Congratulations Davion, you will enjoy.

I bought a 2000 986 S manual last week in Melbourne, 65,000kms history etc. Drove it home to Adelaide last Tues night sitting comfortably with outside temp gauge showing down to 1.5 deg climate control @ 22deg, heated seat on low and cruise control @ 105km/hr all I could think is this would have been a very uncomfortable trip in one of my previous air cooled 911's!

Very satisfying quick blast though hills on Sunday, big smile.........these cars are very good value and underrated IMO.

Congratulations Davion, you will enjoy.

I bought a 2000 986 S manual last week in Melbourne, 65,000kms history etc. Drove it home to Adelaide last Tues night sitting comfortably with outside temp gauge showing down to 1.5 deg climate control @ 22deg, heated seat on low and cruise control @ 105km/hr all I could think is this would have been a very uncomfortable trip in one of my previous air cooled 911's!

Very satisfying quick blast though hills on Sunday, big smile.........these cars are very good value and underrated IMO.

Was this an arctic silver one? There was one which I was keen on as well with similar low kms history.

Thanks guys! I'll post a pic or 2 when I do get it :) Can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...

I went down to Melb over the weekend to collect the car and drive it back to NSW, as promised some pictures :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1KMBUgl2hqRdjRUNlo0OXFtb00/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1KMBUgl2hqRSjFPdm96cEplTjA/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1KMBUgl2hqRM0VGd2ZJXzB1WHc/view?usp=sharing

Tbh, I'm pretty blown away by the condition of the car, I have not seen the car before and took Weltmeister's word for it when they gave their appraisal. Of all the boxsters I've seen, this one's interior is in a really good condition, I'm really pleased about it.

Things I like about the car:

- Good condition as mentioned, interior excellent.

- Everything works (We tested pretty much everything on the drive back).

- Good aerodynamics with the roof down, not as noisy as I expected and only the top bit of my hair was blown around(I'm 1.78m) unlike my previous car the S2000.

Things I'm picking on the car:

- Would like to upgrade the headunit to an mp3 capable one. I've got the MOST system so its going to be expensive to replace. I'm thinking of maybe installing the Dension 500 as some forums have recommended. Maybe later on in the year. Also having to touch and feel for the radio controls.

- Wheel alignment required. Car steers abit to the left and steering wheel isn't aligned. I'm surprised Weltmeister didnt pick this up. Will wait til next service to get it replaced.

- Seems like my car might have had an IMS issue before. I was told by WM that the IMS has been repaced to a late 987 type (bigger bearing) which means I can't replace it :(. He did assure me its not a bad thing as the odds are significantly lower than the smaller ones.

- Uncomfortable seats for long drives. Maybe its seat adjustment, might have to play around with the seating to improve ergonamics.

- Having to drill holes in the rear car plates as it doesnt fit with the factory made holes on the car plates.

- Brake dust on the wheel arches :( Spent more time cleaning the wheels than on the actual car.

All in all, I'm really pleased with the car. Can't wait to do a road trip with the missus!

P.S: Thanks for all the tips everyone!

Congratulations Davion, car does look great.....depending on when your service is due I'd probably be getting that steering problem fixed reasonably quickly.

That issue would give me the shites..

The other stuff you can work out over time.

Congratulations again, great choice.   

• 2 weeks later...

Yay well done Davion!  I'm pleased you gave Matt at WM another go. I found him to be very good AND they know exactly how risky the IMS stuff is - he has some horror stories.  So drive it worry free and enjoy.

I'm totes jealous in a good way ;)

I got my 987.2 from Matt at Weltmeister also, he was good to deal with.

My only surprise was that their service prices are even higher than the official Porsche garage based on my last quote, unless you wait for one of their 20% off over the school holidays offers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No - I got mine there about 18 months ago (Meteor grey on 19" black alloys & interior - first time I'd seen a Boxster that didn't look 'soft'!), a 2010 S in manual with 25k on the clock, perfect condition but not many options, for a price in the high 70's at the time.

Archived