77 Martini Special 924

Rod C

Hi all,

Have been considering a father son project for a while as my boys seem to show alot of interest in the Porsches so last weekend we bit the bullett  and purchased a 1977 924 manual Martini special with factory hand operated sunroof and air conditioning but not sure if the air is factory fitted.The car appears to be unmolested and very original and thats how we have decided to keep it. That said it does need some TLC as previous owner did very little to the car but as my eldest is 3 years off his learners we have some time up our sleeves.The boys are quite looking forward to the project and one day some Sunday morning drives.Will post some pics up shortly and welcome any advice and tips. First thing on the agender is what level of resto on the engine as there obvious oil leaks to contend with but that said Im keen to do as much of the work as possible myself.

Cheers

Hopefully they will always hold a place in the porsche collecters garage. I have been told they made a total of 1400 924 Martini Specials with 25 delivered to Australia.

• 1 year later...

Congrats on your new father/son project. Very cool.

If you were looking to return to its original glory I would retrim the seat inserts back to original as per below with the sky blue piping. That's what I would do anyway.

9_zpsrhm81dhk.jpg

8_zpscv5ybsyo.jpg

and grab an original steering wheel. You could sell the current steering wheel and be well in front. Here's an original one on US ebay for only US$90 ono + postage

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-78-924-Steering-Wheel-/221882852007?hash=item33a93fa2a7:g:9XIAAOSwQTVV83-6&vxp=mtr

s-l1600_zps8apk3bf0.jpg

FYI, there was some discussion on this model on this forum 3yrs ago which is interesting to look back on:

I'm sure you will enjoy some great bonding time with your boys on this one. Enjoy!

and grab an original steering wheel. You could sell the current steering wheel and be well in front. Here's an original one on US ebay for only US$90 ono + postage

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-78-924-Steering-Wheel-/221882852007?hash=item33a93fa2a7:g:9XIAAOSwQTVV83-6&vxp=mtr

Yep, that's the one it would have had. NOT the chunky 3 spoke that was on later 924s (and 911s).

Im fotunate enough the car came with the original 2 spoke wheel and I've purchased new seat coverings from werk924 in germany that are an exact replica of the factory trim so hopefuly should come together nice.

The wiper motor was running slow so pulled it apart and removed huge amounts of internal rust and greased the gearing and tested perfectly.

Hopefully Trev can post the pics of this for others to use as a guide.

Archived