Macan feedback?

DJM

Considering a Macan to replace M135i - need a bit more space as the kids get bigger.  Also need to drive more sedately and save spirited drives for the odd weekend SMT or track day.  

Not a lot of Macan talk on here.  If you have one, what do you think of it?  And what was the buying experience like?  Used ones often exceed new price due to scarcity.  PCB quoted $109,xxx on road for a Diesel with 21" Turbo rims, silver paint, body colour side trims and no other options,  the sales guy reckons $108,xxx is the very best he could do.  In other words, Porsche name their price and punters buy them so why would they discount.  Order today = early 2016 delivery so I'll probably try and deal on a used one.

I am considering pulling the trigger on one again Doug, I specced one out here -> http://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsche-code/default.aspx?c=/PGV6DZX4 

Get's kinda costly with options but hey, that is the Porsche way!

I want another Porsche but we really need an economical + practical car! As much as I'd love a 911 Turbo to park next to this 996 I just can't justify another sports car right now... the Macan makes a lot of sense despite its badge.

A friend of mine bought the S... options added nearly $30k :lol: but its a lovely car, my advice is check out all the options in a car to see what you get! The ventilated seats are awesome on a 35*c day, a must have in summer for us that live north of  the mexico border :P

We have one in he extended family and coincidentally I took it for a squirt on Monday.  Nice jigger.   Has a few options and was around $117k.  Not bad value  and really and goes like a scolded cat. (Diesel S)  Owner is very happy with it, 3-4 months in now.  Drove another family members X5 on the same day, lame duck in comparison, although one size larger.

Rated; BUY

Thanks guys.  Wife has current X5 Diesel and it's a nice rig but a bit soft and sensible.  Macan has the more sporty drive I'm looking for.  SQ5 is better value but getting long in the tooth and due for replacement.

Thanks guys.  Wife has current X5 Diesel and it's a nice rig but a bit soft and sensible.  Macan has the more sporty drive I'm looking for.  SQ5 is better value but getting long in the tooth and due for replacement.

Are you looking at Diesel too? 

Apparently the wait times are half that of the Petrol S. 

Check out Macan forum for info too.. 

Yep diesel.  PCB suggest similar timing, early 2016 at this stage.

didnt know there was a Macan forum, will check that out.

I asked the question on the Macan forum, a few guys replied that had ordered in July and the delivery time quoted is November... but I guess your spec will largely dictate that too. 

4-5 months is reasonable. :) 

Ok Doug... I called past the dealer this afternoon to look at options and get an idea of build times etc. I foolishly got the keys to a Turbo... All I am going to say is if you are looking at the diesel do yourself a a favour and DONT drive the turbo... It's not an suv, it's not a sports car... I don't know what it is? All I can tell you is the want factor is high! Very high..... The exhaust crackle on down shifts makes the hair on your back stand up and it's intoxicating! The PDK is AMAZING. ? 

I have to sit down and have a stern word with myself... ?

Update.

We spent some time down at the dealer this afternoon, drove both the diesel S with standard suspension and the turbo with air.

by the time we spec up a diesel how we like  it really adds to the cost! And there isn't a lot in it between the optioned out S and a Turbo with a few options because the turbo comes with lots of no extra cost inclusions.

as for driving them? I'm a huge fan of the air suspension, it rides so well! So that's a must have, power train department... I just can't bring myself to like the diesel... It's a great car, but it's not a great Porsche! I barely had a moment of excitement in the diesel.... The turbo is just phenomenal! It is unmistakably a Porsche, it put a ear to ear grin on my face by standing on it and hearing the bark between gears as the PDK shifts.... My mrs came with me and we specced out both variants (that was interesting and fun), thankfully even she can see the value in the Turbo. ? 

so I think we'll review the spec and order a turbo in the next couple of weeks. 

We want to build one with a similar theme to match the GT3 silver + black 

How are you going with it Doug? 

I wonder how these will compare:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/360647/mercedes-amg-glc-63-and-mercedes-benz-glc-450-amg-sport-models-confirmed/

priced sharply they might put the wind up Porsche and the current "no negotiation" stance might start to shift.  I can't come at paying full list price on a car that is priced at the top end for what it is.  And the options list is surely a joke - huge margin in those items and big money spinner for Porsche.  $1350 for body colour side blades?  Have you seen leather you can spend over $10k!  And on it goes.

i thought diesel would be fine day to day but I suspect a test drive would have the same effect it did on you.  In which case I might as well keep the Beemer for now.

I might monitor used market for a while until GLC lands.  I'm not in any hurry.  A year old Macan might start to look good as depreciation kicks in fuelled by competitors coming into the market.  New sq5 due at some stage too.

I always like the GLK... It'll be interesting to see what happens when the GLC hits our shores! I suspect my area will be populated with the GLC 63 like it is with C63's ? 

To me... The Diesel Macan makes sense on paper, but it doesn't make sense in reality! We are looking at $135k for a well optioned Diesel and that's just too rich for my liking. (Still only the audi 3.0 TDI power plant too) 

My thoughts would be look at SQ5 if you must have an oil burner...  It's faster than Macan and cheaper.

SQ5 is a bit long in the tooth, faster yes but dynamically no macan and will be replaced soon.  Don't want an end of life model.

$135k is crazy for a diesel (which starts in the $80s+) when you can pickup a slightly used well specced turbo for $150k

SQ5 is a bit long in the tooth, faster yes but dynamically no macan and will be replaced soon.  Don't want an end of life model.

$135k is crazy for a diesel (which starts in the $80s+) when you can pickup a slightly used well specced turbo for $150k

Diesel is $100 on the road... The $80~ figure is a + ORC. 

Essentially $35 in options which isn't uncommon on the S, my friend has a petrol S and added close to $30k in options ?... Feedback from even my salesman is that it's not prudent to do so as you are over capitalising on options.  Its gonna hurt come resale time! The Turbo starts at $140 new on the road + options.. You might add a little bit to that but you can see how the turbo starts to make better sense! ? 

Yeah my engineering brain wants to plot the cost vs options graphs - turbo starts higher with no options but they probably cross over around 150

in other words low spec turbo effectively has same features and same cost as high spec diesel which makes decision easy.  

Yeah my engineering brain wants to plot the cost vs options graphs - turbo starts higher with no options but they probably cross over around 150

in other words low spec turbo effectively has same features and same cost as high spec diesel which makes decision easy.  

bingo!!! ???

of the top of my head turbo gets the following

Alcanatara Hoodlining ($3k option)

Bose Audio ($2.7k option)

Air Suspension ($3.5k option) 

18 way seats ($800 option)

partial lether pack ($3.7k option)

light package ($800 option)

20" wheels ($3k option)

heated front seats ($1k option) 

Painted side blades ($1.8k option)

painted rear centre of bar ($1k option) 

side skirts ($2k ?) 

PDLS ($2k option) 

plus the 3.6L power plant! 

Agree some of the options are ridiculous but to put it in perspective ^^^

I have a Turbo and absolutely love it. Will be 12 months of ownership next week and I still think it is brilliant.

The air suspension is a must so even if you went the S you'd want to spec that up. And as you have said by the time you tick a few of the nice options on the S it's damn close to Turbo prices which already have them standard. It's basically the reason I ended up going the Turbo option to start with. I think back when I priced it up when you added the options I wanted on the S that were standard on the Turbo it was under $10K difference so it became a no brainer to me.

Only options I didn't get which I now wish I had were the lane change assist (only because I've since driven a car with it in Europe and it's a good thing), and the vented seats.

But they are such a nice car to drive. And really it was because of how good this car is that I ended up placing the order for the GT4.

Thanks for the feedback! 

My other half went and ticked some safety options, LCA was one of them! Glad to hear its a good choice! I was just wondering today whether the ventilated seats are worth the cost and you are the second owner who's told me to get them. I guess they'll have to stay on the spec! :) 

Did you have any joy with discounting? 

At the time I was at the front of the queue and I didn't get anything in the way of a discount really.

That said there was a picture kicking around in the early days of a Macan test mule in Agate Grey with black wheels and when these things were first released there was less options than there is now - including back then no options for black wheels. So the only deal that was made was they got my wheels locally painted satin black for me as a NCO. 

Shit pic but gives you the idea.

10582871_10153067390347564_6615501450602

This was the spy shot I took to them and said I wanted to replicate.

porsche-macan-stuttcars.jpg

I will say however since I then ordered the GT4 less than 12 months later I did get a discount on that - and as far as I know I'm the only one that has received a discount on a GT4 order.

Oh - and with the vented seats. You know how awesome heated seats are now in the dead of winter? Imagine just how awesome cooled seats would be in summer!

I do wish I'd got them. Not sure they can be retro fitted like my PSE was however.

Looks great... that photo reminds me I have much work to do in my garage, currently a mess! :lol: 

A mate of mine got an S a while back and he took me for a ride in it on a 35*c day, he had vented seats... I'll never be the same again! 

Lot of guys on the Macan forum saying that the AC can struggle on a hot day! 

• 3 weeks later...

stopped in at PCM today and drove a diesel.  Wasn't game to take the turbo given edgy's comments - there'd be no going back

diesel is impressive, fast enough day to day and I really liked the Macan as a package.  One criticism - Nav is nowhere near as good/clear/intuitive as BMW professional Nav but no big deal.

im thinking of a diesel with limited options - seats, wheels and not much else.  That will be under $110k.  If you start ticking too many boxes then turbo makes more sense as above.  Time to play configurator.  Order now, October build, December delivery.  No rush, I'll mull it over.

Ps every one I've seen on road has been white or black

im thinking to be different, dark blue with platinum sport design 20s as below.

White interior looks a bit bling and is not practical so would need to be black inside.

http://www.macanforum.com/forum/porsche-macan-pictures/42162-dark-metallic-blue-agate-pebble-grey-interior.html

Definitely no going back after driving the turbo! But ask yourself this... Would you rather drive the turbo now or after you buy a diesel? ? 

low option diesel is a good approach,  I like your angle! 

I struggle with myself sometimes... Objectively the diesel is probably the better fit for us, but I feel like if I'm making such a commitment then I should be totally in love with it! The turbo does that... Hmm who knows? The more time I have to decide the better I guess? 

Go go impulse red if you want to be different! ? Sapphire blue looks great in the flesh but then I worry about future resale on colours like that. Can't beat the classic Porsche black, silver, white and grey. 

Archived