993 purchase

Nice Luke, great combo! We had a really detailed inspection of the one I was interested in and decided to walk - missus felt the grey interior was too heavy, really thick heavy grey it was. Paintwork was quite scuffed in general especially tops of guards and a bit of bonnet and fairly dull for what I think it should be, looked like it had been polished to an inch of it's life and no glow left in it.

And importantly it has certainly had a big repair on rear quarter - paint quite orange peely the entire quarter to the edge of the door and various gaps a bit out...all of this not un expected on a 160k 20yo car I guess but interestingly the interior looked in absolute mint cond, no wear anywere. Just didn't match the paintwork at all. Also missing the bonnet sticker (no big deal) but importantly also missing that plate that is riveted on the inside guard under carpet that tells you the colour code (I have been doing my research, thankyou forums ::)))) ....

Anyways will be patient and await the correct one to arrive - may have to wait awhile, patience is a virtue!

Thanks for your reply T-Man and a contrast to yours I guess Steve - 7000k's, man that is some serious quick wear, I guess those Dunlops are soft as ....

They are soft, but others that I have had didn`t last any longer,I should put an invoice in to the yarra ranges shire for resurfacing their roads with my rubber

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are soft, but others that I have had didn`t last any longer,I should put an invoice in to the yarra ranges shire for resurfacing their roads with my rubber

I'm around 10-12,000kms per set. I'm sure you could get something a little harder but that would generally be at the sacrifice of grip!

Sandy, apologies if already covered - have you looked at a 996 Tip Cab? It's potentially the most undesirable Porsche ever made (apologies, but I have bought 2 996s so I can say that) and in my opinion probably the best value car available in Australia.

They are likely depreciated to death and fantastic cars. Don't let the IMS scare you, I'm not going to respond to the usual IMS BS but get that sorted (it's simple enough on a 996) and you have a wonderful, smooth, powerful car that looks great, sounds great and goes like a cut snake. You would have your pick of the bunch at 50k, probably a nice series 2. 

Dont me let anyone fool you - these P cars are the real deal and shouldnt be overlooked. 

Dave

Case in point - great looking car

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2002/SSE-AD-3356235/?Cr=2

Yes thanks for the info Dave, we have put some thought into a 996 but yes the bearing issue scared us off and also the missus reckons the bodies are so understated compared to a 993. And also she couldn't live with the ugly headlights (but I could)....will wait for the 993 .... My view on the 996 prices is that they have a little bit to go down yet but I reckon in 5 years time they will be fabulous value!

Also missing the bonnet sticker (no big deal) but importantly also missing that plate that is riveted on the inside guard under carpet that tells you the colour code (I have been doing my research, 

The sticker under the bonnet gives you the paint code ,options codes and Vin ,The aluminum plate rvited to the inner rail( right side) gives you the factory build date  there should also be a complance plate as well  :)

Hi Tomo,

Yes the compliance and build date plates were there, but there was a small (bit smaller than a matchbox) "plate" missing with a rivet either side (both missing) just near them...Ifrom my readings online I thought there was meant to be a sticker or something there somewhere that had the paint code on it...

yes sandy , there should be a small sticker about 50 x 20 mm on the inside of the left guard with the paint code on it, it is silver with a grey inner border and the paint code contained within.   

It's the right guard actually but we know what you mean Tomo!

I suppose its how you look at the car, If sitting in the car the right hand inner guard /rail contains compliance /build date left hand inner guarde contains paint code sticker, And i too know what I mean :)

I suppose its how you look at the car, If sitting in the car the right hand inner guard /rail contains compliance /build date left hand inner guarde contains paint code sticker, And i too know what I mean :)

Correct.   

Archived