Amatuer Preservation progress :)

Hi all :)

Weve been locked (kind of) away in the home garage the past few months trying to get the car sorted,

released it was August already and omigod how does time fly when working on our pride and joys?

Anywhos moving on, Came across some new problems mostly with paint mixing from supplier, ie; the second batch was a shade darker than the first which is not good when you've done the rear of the car already..two tone blue just doesn't seem to work..:(

Anyway ive solved the problem by sanding it all back again to repaint with the new arrow blue batch paint , officially there is no code for Arrow Blue in Acrylic so the shop had to mix it using information and guesswork carried over from the paint codes for 2 pack Arrow blue which is listed in the Porsche paint system,

Anyway thought id post a pic of where its at,

Am awaiting new transaxles and cv joints,

Ive also replaced washers on all joints that get vibration with fibre washers, along the same lines as the factory uses in the luggage fender area with the leather washers, my thinking is that in the rear fender sills rust can start in areas of movement of the metal washers rubbing for many years through the paint and galvanising exposing small areas of bare metal which will promote rust, The Fibre washers can be torqued asnd also aid in stopping looseness through vibration as they are Textured, about $4 a packet of 40 from Bunnings.

Also have been working on more cooling specifically Turbo,  using the factory vents on the rear guards to route Air when at speed through a 60mm hose with a 24 inch vent covering each exhaust outlets side, thinking is that the cooler the air when it gets to turbo more denser it is so every bit of cool air will help with keeping charge temps down. Note pic, not rust but some old  silicone filling,

note the car is a Late 1977 930 with Porsche  Factory brakes from what I think is used in 1978 car

****note another major problem was protecting the car as I was working on it, I stupidly bought some builders film (wide clear sticky plastic) it can be used for masking off and protecting large areas, well I covered the rear fenders , tail in it while working on sanding back the roof for repainting and I must have put it on before rthe paint had fully hardened because when I peeled it off it left Wrinkles in the paint.. :( you can see in second photo the damage so lots more sanding to do :(:(

Also am now cleaning priming and sanding all brackets to be repainted in a uniform colour across the board, looking at the hammered tone finish as can be seen in the last photo,

Note this is not a concours car it wouldn't qualify due to the mileage and tail etc,  so having said that paint colours matter not in the whole scheme of the car.

I agree with many people that it is more important to have a car with factory RHD and matching numbers, being the most important attraction, the rest of the car can be changed easily enough, I would be wary of buying a 40 yr car with original paint on the account of hidden rust especially if it had high mileage,

Wishing all a happy week

Leonie :)

nfj3T6o.jpgdcAe7tn.jpgvbqeK7m.jpg

vvtOATo.jpgmsL6Hk8.jpgAlso I did the Rod Brackets in Hammered Aluminum finish,

With the mismatched paint colours you can obviously blend the new colour in (as long as it is not too far out from the other). With the 2 pack paints these days, I wouldn't bother struggling along with acrylic any more. It does look like you have gotten a good finish from the photos but IMO the 2 pack makes it so much easier. 

Looking good. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have you found my A/C bracket yet?

So far there has been no aircon bracket , please remember my Dad offered to give you one for no cost to you 
(I don't know why),  but he lost it
along with lots of other things it so pls don't put too much pressure on him over this.

Garage is now been emptied out of all parts over the next week, see parts for sale, if it doesn't get listed in that thread then there isn't one

• 8 months later...

You are listing a bracket I paid for?

Hi SS sorry to reply i just came across this

I have not listed a bracket,

I have not sold a bracket

i have not advertised a bracket

We Thought he had one but he either threw it out or sold it before you asked about it,

Its quite possible it has been sculptured into a Garden ornament along with other parts

There was no bracket so there was no payment and it was going to be a gift anyway, (Free) (IF) he found it 

BUT If it was either of us please give me a copy of payment so i can sort it out asap. 

Or im just  getting old

:) 

• 4 months later...

Hi SS sorry to reply i just came across this

I have not listed a bracket,

I have not sold a bracket

i have not advertised a bracket

We Thought he had one but he either threw it out or sold it before you asked about it,

Its quite possible it has been sculptured into a Garden ornament along with other parts

There was no bracket so there was no payment and it was going to be a gift anyway, (Free) (IF) he found it 

BUT If it was either of us please give me a copy of payment so i can sort it out asap. 

Or im just  getting old

:) 

I just stumbled onto this thread while searching for something else (didn't find it)... But anyway, is this the same blue 930 that is for sale currently? Did you get it finished or does it still need work, hard to tell from pics and description?

Archived