996 turbo X50

raafrebel

Hi all,

lim looking at buying 996 turbo with X50 factory power upgrade. 

I tried to find on net how many came from factory with X50 , but couldn't find 

either way, sounds good with 450hp from factory!

anyone here know much about them? Apparently cars with X50, 331kw over standard 309kw, the turbos are actually bigger ones than standard... That's Got to be a good thing!!

I would honestly just buy a 996 turbo. get a flash tune and you'll be at 450-490hp (depends on tune) 

Add an exhaust and get upto 500-510hp. I think that's plenty ;) 

996 turbos can do 800hp unopened... just saying :) 

all good advice, but isnt X50 a desirable factory add on, if you're into that sort of thing...

that's what I thought..

factory power pack

bigger turbos 

anyone know how many were made? 

Im hoping to buy the one I found, hope it checks out as good car

This I'm not sure of ^^ Sounds like similar specs to Turbo S though...

There was a total 911 article a while back that said X50 was desirable in a C4S... So if you've got the X50 option on a TT? if it checks out, buy it. :) 

An X50 option which included larger turbochargers and intercoolers along with revised engine control software became available from the factory in 2002, increasing power to 450 hp (336 kW). (Porsche produced a Turbo S in 2005, which also had the x50 option with 450 bhp, with the formerly optional Carbon fibre-reinforced Silicon Carbide (C/SiC) composite ceramic brakes (PCCB) as standard.)

All you need this this..

http://www.911tuning.com/996-Turbo/SoftwarePower-Kits/Stage-4K24Spec-I-650700HP-p-85.html?tab=dynographs#tabs

:ph34r::ph34r:

This I'm not sure of ^^ Sounds like similar specs to Turbo S though...

There was a total 911 article a while back that said X50 was desirable in a C4S... So if you've got the X50 option on a TT? if it checks out, buy it. :) 

read about them last night. Turbo S was only available from 04 and had X 50 pac as standard

Previous 996 turbos had X50 option available for a large amount of cash. 

This one is 2001 model so x50 was optioned by who ever ordered it. I will know for sure when I see hood sticker , should be on there . 

If true, I may have stumbled across rare optioned car! 

I googled "Porsche X50 turbo and all explained there. Just couldn't find out about how many units were actually made it to Australia . Might have to ring Porsche and find out.

anyone know what dealer to call to find out this sort of info?

wow! Awesome bit of kit that.... I will be happy if this car I found is what I think it is.... 

Im stretching budget as it is , if I had spare 30 k ( proberbly how much it would cost installed) I would add that cool kit ! 

I think I will be more than happy with rare 450hp factory weapon!!

hmmmmm ...... Actually, if I sell one of my motorcycles, could make it happen!?

My understanding it X50 and Turbo S had bigger turbos and more power but a lot more lag.  For that reason they don't seem to get the love you might otherwise expect.

Mezger engine is known to be bulletproof even when tuned with higher boost except for one weak link....rods have been known to fail so tread carefully with modified cars.

IMG_2266.jpg

My understanding it X50 and Turbo S had bigger turbos and more power but a lot more lag.  For that reason they don't seem to get the love you might otherwise expect.

Mezger engine is known to be bulletproof even when tuned with higher boost except for one weak link....rods have been known to fail so tread carefully with modified cars.

That's the beauty of turbo engines!!! 

I'm so disapointed....

misleading advert... 

The fool told me it was factory fitted x50 option

went there today all exited thinking I'll be booking PPI.. 

Got a shock when turned up at address and shonk Indian dealer walks out with big smile.

his smile turned to frown when I popped hood and was studying option code numbers

i turned to anger when there was no X50 on tag....

stupid fool. 

Car was not as advertised, let alone in " brand new condition " as he told me on the phone....

f&@king fool.

on th hunt again now for another car. Not many 996 turbos around either....

The X50 option really isn't worth it TBH.  The turbos are the larger ones that were fitted to the GT2, they're lagger and the technology behind them is 20 years old now.

Plenty of people running Zero Clearance K16s (on the stock turbo model) make way more power than an X50 car will with no lag.  

I would just buy the right car regardless of the options, an X50 car wouldn't be a plus point when buying (for me but appreciate everyone is different).  There aren't many around now, a lot of the ones that seemed good that sat for ages (over 6 months) have all moved in the last 4-5 weeks, I think the prices of them are heading up.

Something will turn up, no good that the dealer didn't represent the car accurately in regard to condition but there are good ones around however probably getting a bit thin on the ground now as the prices dropped so low that people have snapped up a lot of the good ones that sat.  I can't see how a 80s Carerra is worth more than a 996TT and think either the TTs need to rise or the AC cars need to come back.

Archived