Recommended wheel cleaner for platinum painted wheels

Bardman

I can highly recommend Final Inspection's products. To top it off they are Australian made and delivery time is exceptional!

Have a look a their website and give them a call if you still have questions/concerns.

After a lot of experimenting with wheel cleaners, I can honestly say that using regular car cleaner with a sponge is the best way to go.  Gentle as can be, and effective as long as you do it regularly.  When you have them absolutely spotless (and dry) then lay down a coat of wax to help repel the brake dust.    I have three piece anodised/painted centre wheels with SS fasteners - they are demanding to clean, and this is where I have arrived at.  The key is to never let them get very grotty where the brake dust and road grime starts to etch the finished surface.

I normally start with degreeser, give them a quick brush with a wheel brush making surebto get into any corners and you can use a wheel woolie if you want to do inside the wheel, then rinse, then use regular wash with a wash mitt which I use for wheels, rinse and then wax with a microfibre cloth. The degreaser is to help lift the initial dirt, and the brush loosens anything which is stuck on. The wash can be switched out to degreaser again if they are heavily soiled. 

Agree with coastr that waxing is a critical component for keeping them clean afterwards. My sports classics really are demanding and painfully difficult to keep clean and this is now the cheapest and easiest way to keep them clean, plus the three stage approach helps pick up any spots which have missed. 

I use IronX Soap Foam, diluted into a spray bottle with water. Works really great, generally spray on and high pressure hose off for a clean wheel. Then use wheel specific wash mitt at the end of the regular wash bucket to catch any spots I may have missed and behind the spokes. 

http://www.waxit.com.au/collections/car-wash/products/carpro-iron-x-snow-soap-50-500-1lt-4lt

Like other painted surfaces I have had good results with Jetseal109 from chemguys: http://www.chemguys.com.au/Auto_Detailing_Resin_Paint_Sealant_JetSeal_109_p/wac_118_16.htm

Apply 2 liberal coats, preferably in warm conditions and then finish off with a durable wax.  Some wax products give great looking results but don't last (show car style wax).  Use a longer lasting one to better protect against brake dust.

If you give me your car for the weekend I'll do a full detail for free.  All I need are the keys and a full tank of fuel :) 

Thanks for the answers everyone.  There are quite a few options, so I will go with the first one.  :)  I like the idea of supporting a local operation as well. 

I can highly recommend Final Inspection's products. To top it off they are Australian made and delivery time is exceptional!

Have a look a their website and give them a call if you still have questions/concerns.

P-Kay - have you used their wheel cleaner?  Do you have painted wheels?  I sent them an email, but would be good to get objective feedback on its safety for use on painted wheels.

Like other painted surfaces I have had good results with Jetseal109 from chemguys: http://www.chemguys.com.au/Auto_Detailing_Resin_Paint_Sealant_JetSeal_109_p/wac_118_16.htm

Apply 2 liberal coats, preferably in warm conditions and then finish off with a durable wax.  Some wax products give great looking results but don't last (show car style wax).  Use a longer lasting one to better protect against brake dust.

If you give me your car for the weekend I'll do a full detail for free.  All I need are the keys and a full tank of fuel :) 

Your detailing offer is generous, but I think it might give it a go myself for now.  :)

Hi Bardman,

Short answer is yes, the best Christmas present by my lovely! 

My wife's AMG wheels, my 996 rims which are clear coated rims and painted centres. I haven't dirtied the SCs wheels yet :) My brother in-law put me onto them as he loves using it for his 9974S

Great stuff. If in doubt, just buy the small bottle, that way if you like it, then just buy the refill later.

I haven't tried the wax final coat as suggested by others above, however sounds like a sensible approach!

Cheers Peter

Hi Bardman,

Short answer is yes, the best Christmas present by my lovely! 

My wife's AMG wheels, my 996 rims which are clear coated rims and painted centres. I haven't dirtied the SCs wheels yet :) My brother in-law put me onto them as he loves using it for his 9974S

Great stuff. If in doubt, just buy the small bottle, that way if you like it, then just buy the refill later.

I haven't tried the wax final coat as suggested by others above, however sounds like a sensible approach!

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter,

Used the wheel cleaner today.  Seems to do the job well.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Car looks amazing when its clean.  Snapped a quick photo.  :)

mV7IkK2.jpg

Archived