stereo and exhaust

JR80911

G'day guys - new to the forums but good to see an oz forum.  I'm not sure whether this is the place to post this but I'm hoping you can help.

I want to install a new exhaust.  who do I turn to? preferrably a local.  I'm in the south east; victoria.

similarly - new head unit to work with the bose speakers with bluetooth?

point me in the right direction if this is the wrong spot for it?

Hi JR,

What's the exhaust for?  Your SC or a 996 as in your tag?

Assuming you're talking about your SC the most common approach is to simply swap the rear muffler for say a Monty or Dansk for around $1500 new.  This will get a better sound and maybe a couple more hp's.  You can often buy these mufflers second hand from forums like this or off eBay for as little as $400ish.

Depending if you want to retain cabin heat or not will guide the next option of also replacing your headers as well.  A set of new SSI's that has heat exchanges will add a few more hp's but will also add another 2 grand or so to the above costs for the sports muffler.

If you do a search for exhausts on this forum will net you 2 or 3 useful and not to long threads with more detail.

As for head units, a lot use these as they work well and don't look too out of place: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Blaupunkt-Toronto-420-BT-CD-MP3-Autoradio-mit-Bluetooth-USB-SD-iPod-AUX-IN-/331730335251?hash=item4d3cab3613:g:NLgAAOSwAKxWauaQ

Good luck!

Phatt Audio Concepts in Braeside get good feedback from guys in the car audio scene. I know they have done 911s in the past so they should be able to do it without the guess work.

For the exhaust, work out which mufflers you want to get. There's lots to hear on Youtube. Buy the mufflers from wherever you can get them and get your mechanic to fit them for you if you don't want to do it yourself. Our forum sponsor, Best Exhausts stocks a few brands. I think the Tubi Style ones sound pretty cool. The Dansk Sport mufflers sound pretty nice too if you don't want something over the top. I know Autohaus Hamilton can get them in. If I had my time over, I would get Scart from France but they're pretty expensive now the dollar is down. If you're looking for something cheap, Google gundo hack and find an exhaust shop that will do it for you.

Here's what it sounds like on my Mk1. I actually have Fisters but it's the same thing. No idea where you could take it to but I have had very minor dealings with Bay Rd Exhaust in Cheltenham and they were friendly and helpful, something I've never experienced at other exhaust shops. Just make sure whoever does it uses stainless pipe.

• 1 month later...

Gundo hack is the go mate for exhaust note ,,,cheap and easy to do and sounds great ,,,best value for money mod IMO ..............:)

+1 ($350 at exhaust shop inclusive of removing the bumper etc) 

My brother has a 1969 911 with a scart and it sounds absolutely amazing , coughs and splutters in all the right places. 

Remove bumper to access mufflers???? Umm....no need!

Yup, I have seen threads by removing the wheels etc. I "kind of" know the blokes from doing some custom work on a previous car etc, its what they did and it seems to be the most time consuming way to do it. Only added as that info as a guide for price range. i have seen on Rennlist (usa forums) of 996 owners paying more than that in USD. Its a simple job and shouldn't be subject to Porsche tax. :)  

Remove bumper to access mufflers???? Umm....no need!

I can't do it without removing the bumper and heat shields but I'm working on the ground. I have to jack up one side at a time to access the bumper screw behind the rear wheel on each side. I can do a full swap over in about 2 hours and I reckon at least 20 minutes of that is mucking around with the stupid exhaust tips trying to get them lined up properly. Unfortunately I haven't figured out a way to access the clamp without removing the bumper cover and bumper bar. So I throw it all on without screwing on the bumper cover, work out where the tips should be, take off the bumper and cover and adjust tips, refit bumper and cover, still out so try again, and so on until it's sort of right. Then take bumper cover off to plug in sensors and then refit for final time.

Agreed @Simonk regarding tips being a right royal PITA to line up correctly (I'm still not happy with my lefty  tip), but I too work on the ground. I wonder whether Series 1 or 2 makes a difference? (mines 3.4)

Mind you I've only done it twice and the only time I have taken the bumper off was to install the rear view camera wires. Although the Fabspeed mufflers are a tad smaller than factory - contributing factor?

Sorry way off topic 

I just released where I have seen your 996. :)  I  parked next to you at Chadstone rooftop a couple of months ago. (Silver with twists n baby seat rear passenger lol)

It may seem that Heatherton industrial was a Sunday haunt. I bypass Braeside on a lazy Sunday (in fear of being sideswiped by a brutal American flexing or an Italian hero) and occasion Moorabbin/Dandy south industrial. 

very cool video. :) 

Phatt Audio Concepts in Braeside get good feedback from guys in the car audio scene. I know they have done 911s in the past so they should be able to do it without the guess work.

+1

Sam who runs PAC is a good friend and someone I trust. He is the only person I would let do audio work on my car as he is meticulous. Tell him Bruce sent you and he will look after you. He will probably assume I sent you when he sees the P car anyway lol

If the speakers are Bose you may need to change them too, as they have used some ridiculously low impeadence speakers in the past in their car audio systems(and home audio too), that are not compatible with normal car audio gear. Sam will know or be able to test and IMO a replacement should sound a lot better anyway

• 1 month later...

Could anyone please advise on how to add iPod connectivity to a Factory Bose sound system in my recently acquired 996.2 ?

This is a problem others may have previously overcome and I would be grateful for any info, 

Hi Graham,

There are some You Tube vids on the topic you have mentioned with good results for not much outlay and they are also selling imput kits for the Beckers on ebay so may be worth a look.

Cheers

It's pretty simple then. The CDR220 unit can support an aux cable. 

Cheapest route is a 3.5mm stereo cable to the unit and provides the best future proofing since all devices support it. 

Otherwise there's a small array of cable options for iPod's depending on which connector you have. Some of them can charge some of them don't from reports.
And there's also the DIY option if you're confident enough.

This thread on Renntech will give you the info on the ipod options and pin outs - http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/39717-ipod-and-aux-capability-for-becker-cdr-220/

You can find all these options on ebay and amazon if you type in CDR220 and ipod or stereo cable. You'll also need to pick up a removal tool such as this:

51G4GhAVzYL.jpg

Just remember that once it's installed you might need to go into the unit's hidden menu to turn on aux functionality as it didn't come up straight away for me.

If you need any further help then let us know

Gday Graham,

Here is a link to the cable I used.  As Mike said, not at all difficult.  Just make sure you poke the cable out the back of the cradle or you will destroy it like I nearly did. ;) Then just poke it out the side of the centre console.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271108257702?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Cheers Steve

Just bought a pair on ebay for $5 posted from HK

I'm stuck with the MOST system so no AUX for me. I'm going to buy a hard wired FM bluetooth unit. For anyone else with the MOST there is also the Dension unit but the ones that suite the CDR23 don't support bluetooth

Archived