Guards Red 911SC

SteamWolf

I haven't bothered to do a thread on this yet but guess I should.

It's an '82 911SC in guards red. It has all the options as fitted on delivery - 16in fuchs, sunroof, berber seats, air con and no fog lights.

I bought it from country victoria where it had been since the 90's. Prior to that it seems it was a country QLD car.

It has 406,000 on the clock. All I have had to do to date is the sunroof seals, roof lining, drive shafts, clutch, timing chain upgrade (incl. chains) and fix the usual oil leaks, and the usual fiddly things like switches and steering bush etc.

I finally got the time to do real work on it. I'm reconditioning the rack, calipers and fitting new shocks all round, and all new suspension bushes.

James from Autohaus Hamilton has been a huge help with parts and humour, and Uncle has been a massive help with beer, advice and a threatening glare at my awful puns.

DSC_0180_zpsegqzdzv7.jpg

DSC_0179_zpslil9dlwt.jpg

20121107_174017.jpg

2012-10-10143844-1.jpg

Front end currently looks like this as I do the shocks, bushes, calipers and rack.

DSC_0007_9_zpsp8kuj5nz.jpg

DSC_0037_8_zpsq2u1p5ra.jpg

Control arms and torsion bars came out easily with barely any corrosion in there.  With some heat, the bushes all came off easily too. 

The rack shaft and puck were scuffed, so I spent a lot of time linishing it and reassembled the rack with new bearings and 930 rods.

DSC_0034_8_zpsvjkflovi.jpg

DSC_0009_11_zpsveakfibk.jpg

They are so easy to rebuild!

DSC_0008_10_zpsfwtnv8ct.jpg

Cleaning everything ready for powder coating.

DSC_0010_10_zpsfjr6dhqb.jpg

Alternator, fan and stator are next. I want to replace the alternator bearings while it's out.

DSC_0011_7_zpsomdsohaq.jpg

Looks a bit sad in there!

DSC_0013_9_zpsyitjtois.jpg

I'm determined to get this devil of an air con to work as well.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well .... doesn't that look like fun,

Unfortunately all I can help you with is mystery switch A ..... swaps drivers and passengers electric mirrors.

Mystery switch B looks like the air conditioning switch to make it colder, but it's in the wrong spot .... that turn switch is usually in the centre console in front of the gear stick.

Look forward to reading more .....

Well Mr. Steamwolf, You're gonna love this!

So am I!!

I will guarantee 99% that that is the 82 SC I owned for around 3 years from around '91 until around '95. Same switches, interior, whaletail, front spoiler etc I remember like it was yesterday.

Cannot remember totally the history but it had service books and I brought it from Max Ouzas Cars in Balwyn Vic at around 50000K and did around 2000ks in it and had one service from George Cairns with a replacement airbox, clutch and syncrho for 2nd gear. Is it Aust delivered? When I had it, it had the standard stereo and everything else original.....

Nice timing with this thread SteamWolf as I'm about to start a full undercarriage rebuild on my Carrera, just have to finish my shed modifications. 

Keen to know what direction you're taking - stock/sport/track?

How successful have you been sourcing parts in Aus?  I've read a fair bit online and the Elephant racing stuff seems to come up most often as a good option.  Thoughts?

Cheers

Andrew

Well Mr. Steamwolf, You're gonna love this!

So am I!!

I will guarantee 99% that that is the 82 SC I owned for around 3 years from around '91 until around '95. Same switches, interior, whaletail, front spoiler etc I remember like it was yesterday.

Cannot remember totally the history but it had service books and I brought it from Max Ouzas Cars in Balwyn Vic at around 50000K and did around 2000ks in it and had one service from George Cairns with a replacement airbox, clutch and syncrho for 2nd gear. Is it Aust delivered? When I had it, it had the standard stereo and everything else original.....

No way! That's awesome. I'll send you a PM.

Nice rack.

Thanks, I'm so vain I show it off as much as I can.

Nice timing with this thread SteamWolf as I'm about to start a full undercarriage rebuild on my Carrera, just have to finish my shed modifications. 

Keen to know what direction you're taking - stock/sport/track?

How successful have you been sourcing parts in Aus?  I've read a fair bit online and the Elephant racing stuff seems to come up most often as a good option.  Thoughts?

Cheers

Andrew

Stock with sensible mods. The plan is to rebush everything with the firmer rubber mounts, 930 tie rods, bilstien inserts and so on. 

Parts have been very easy to get though we pay a premium on many items.  Buying overseas is well worthwhile for certain things and depends on the AUD and if the vendor uses a decent freight service or an overpriced one.  Always worth checking the price and postage for both OS and Aus!

In Aus I get most things from Autohaus Hamilton. Usually arrives the next day or so!

Looking at mystery switch b that must have been aftermarket aircon because it should be in the centre console.

i would look at a complete replacement kit for aircon, though not sure if there are any RHD kits around.  You could at least get the hoses, compressor and new condenser and maybe refurb that evaporator.  Worth doing even if it's not a fridge worthy system in the end, though a full rebuild should get it going.  I have been messing about with aircon more and more and it's not hard, no worse than oil or water cooling systems anyway.  Just lots of FUD spread by a protected industry.

So Mr Steamwolf do we think it's mine? Also had very worn through thread on the RH bolsters on driver's seat bottom and back....rest of interior was very very good....

Hard to say.  Do you have the VIN/chassis number from when you owned it?  Earliest record I could find was '97 when it was sold to a Randolph Morrison.  I think I have more receipts but I have temporarily misplaced them.

The front seats had been retrimmed at some stage, so it's quite likely.  Do you have any paperwork left from back then?  Do you remember who it was sold to?

G&C Cairns you say? LOL!  

DSC_0022_zpst6qn3zfm.jpg

Ok, should get my parts back from the powdercoaters on Monday.

Kevin San kindly gave me a tip on how to clean under the guards while it's in the garage (WD40 and a brush/rag lol so simple)

Test piece:

DSC_0017_zpsv2ydez6n.jpg

Gave it a quick five minutes. It came out great for a first pass.

DSC_0018_zpsyxqfv7ps.jpg

camera phone. For such a current device to be so bad is disappointing.

Anyhoo, picked up the pieces from the powder coaters today.  Came up pretty good. Looking forward to getting it back in the car as soon as I negotiate some shed time from the 'boss'.

Hard to say.  Do you have the VIN/chassis number from when you owned it?  Earliest record I could find was '97 when it was sold to a Randolph Morrison.  I think I have more receipts but I have temporarily misplaced them.

The front seats had been retrimmed at some stage, so it's quite likely.  Do you have any paperwork left from back then?  Do you remember who it was sold to?

G&C Cairns you say? LOL!  

DSC_0022_zpst6qn3zfm.jpg

Probably the same one, wouldn't have been too many with the same interior getting around Melbourne then. Sorry to say no, I don't have any data on it from back then, can't even remember the guys name I sold it to except that he was from the eastern suburbs somewhere...good luck with the repairs anyway!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have been getting 30 minutes a week to work on this, so progress has been slow :(

Freeze Equip in Newcastle have had my A/C bits to quote and replicate since January, and have promised to provide a quote three times now.  I went in this morning as it's the first chance I have had to drop in, only to see it all still in the same box still sitting in the middle of the foyer floor.  Clearly it's too hard or not worthwhile for them!  If it takes 2 months to give a quote and the box hasn't even moved from the customer area, I have absolutely no faith that they would ever complete any work I commission them to do. The place was deserted so I picked up my box of stuff and left. Not happy!

I haven't bothered to do a thread on this yet but guess I should.

It's an '82 911SC in guards red. It has all the options as fitted on delivery - 16in fuchs, sunroof, berber seats, air con and no fog lights.

I bought it from country victoria where it had been since the 90's. Prior to that it seems it was a country QLD car.

It has 406,000 on the clock. All I have had to do to date is the sunroof seals, roof lining, drive shafts, clutch, timing chain upgrade (incl. chains) and fix the usual oil leaks, and the usual fiddly things like switches and steering bush etc.

I finally got the time to do real work on it. I'm reconditioning the rack, calipers and fitting new shocks all round, and all new suspension bushes.

James from Autohaus Hamilton has been a huge help with parts and humour, and Uncle has been a massive help with beer, advice and a threatening glare at my awful puns.

DSC_0180_zpsegqzdzv7.jpg

DSC_0179_zpslil9dlwt.jpg

20121107_174017.jpg

2012-10-10143844-1.jpg

Front end currently looks like this as I do the shocks, bushes, calipers and rack.

DSC_0007_9_zpsp8kuj5nz.jpg

DSC_0037_8_zpsq2u1p5ra.jpg

Control arms and torsion bars came out easily with barely any corrosion in there.  With some heat, the bushes all came off easily too. 

The rack shaft and puck were scuffed, so I spent a lot of time linishing it and reassembled the rack with new bearings and 930 rods.

DSC_0034_8_zpsvjkflovi.jpg

DSC_0009_11_zpsveakfibk.jpg

They are so easy to rebuild!

DSC_0008_10_zpsfwtnv8ct.jpg

Cleaning everything ready for powder coating.

DSC_0010_10_zpsfjr6dhqb.jpg

Alternator, fan and stator are next. I want to replace the alternator bearings while it's out.

DSC_0011_7_zpsomdsohaq.jpg

Looks a bit sad in there!

DSC_0013_9_zpsyitjtois.jpg

I'm determined to get this devil of an air con to work as well.

Ive been planning to do the front bushes too. ive heard that people either drill or burn them out!

Did u replace them with rubber or neoprene?

With the A/c ,i just removed most of it ,not worth the hassle ! heaps more room in the engine bay now!

Looks very similar to my first Sc ,with the turbo tail and all.. mine had the black velour int with the pin stripes ..

Archived