How can I resolve this with Melbourne P dealer?

SteveC

$30K is a very reasonable price to upgrade to PCCB Inc calipers. I was quoted more for just replacement rotors for a 997 TTS. Just be careful to not get them over 400C and they will last you a long time. Over 400C they deteriorate (oxidize) rapidly. Mine only lasted 22,000km with 2,000km of what you would call spirited driving on closed public roads. I now use Surface Transforms which can be resurfaced 4 times unlike the PCCB which only have a very thin surface layer.

Some photos at the link below

https://www.flickr.com/gp/redracer/tsL46B

KGB has good advice. Have a chat with the principle stating the outcome you want and when you want it by before going the lawyer/accc route. 

$30K is a very reasonable price to upgrade to PCCB Inc calipers. I was quoted more for just replacement rotors for a 997 TTS. Just be careful to not get them over 400C and they will last you a long time. Over 400C they deteriorate (oxidize) rapidly. Mine only lasted 22,000km with 2,000km of what you would call spirited driving on closed public roads. I now use Surface Transforms which can be resurfaced 4 times unlike the PCCB which only have a very thin surface layer.

Some photos at the link below

https://www.flickr.com/gp/redracer/tsL46B

KGB has good advice. Have a chat with the principle stating the outcome you want and when you want it by before going the lawyer/accc route. 

I don't track or put a lot of miles on the car

I was told there are dark dots that indicate wear on the rotors but can't see them on your pictures? The surface of the rotors look relatively rough on the pictures 

Hi Steve

There are 3 circles about 12mm in diameter with a line thickness of about 1mm that can just be seen if you look really hard. The material inside these circles is designed to show if the disks have been near their maximum operating temperature after which the dots become very obvious. My rotors were never overheatd so the dots blend in with the rest of the surface. The method used to check the wear or lost material is by weighing the rotor. The orignial weight is stamped on the hub. The disks surface does not wear like a steel rotor as such and you will always measure the new rotor thickness. The material loss is primarilary by oxidation (from O2 in the atmosphere when over 400C) of the edges of the little ceramic islands. The white bits of the photos are the substrate and the black plateaus are the thin layer of friction material. The plateaus are being eaten away from the sides reducing the amount of black friction material. The centre of the rotors show a greater loss of material due to that part being hotter than the inner and outer edges. They also become very abrasive on the pad (<5000km) and are very rough to touch. You do not need to track the car to wear the rotors just a spirited drive in the high country over your favorite mountain pass will do the job. 

I also had a face to face chat with them about warranty replacement which went nowhere so considering my next step.

My previous 997.1 TT had steels that after 35,000km of the same sort of driving and a few track days as well as a couple sets of pads were just over half way to minimum thickness but  the small cracks probably would have reached the length limit by 40,000km. So it seems that under certain conditions (not on a track) that the PCCB will only last half as long as steel rotors.

Be careful in the wet with PCCB

• 2 weeks later...

Olivia from Consumer Affairs Victoria had reviewed the information and said to bring it up with VCAT. 

Apart from the broken parts, Porsche Brighton:

i) rattle gun tightened the wheels in place which fused 2 nut washers onto separate wheels (i've never seen this happen before) where the floating nut was fused to the wheel and came off the wheel bolt

ii) 6 nuts with a substantial amount of metal shavings when the wheel bolt was removed due to improper positioning of wheel before tightening bolts

iii) car was said to be ready when the ride height was not correct - rear was substantially lower than spec, front was too high - it was like permanently sitting on an incline in the car. Front and rear even between sides was not correct. It was alarming obvious but wasn't picked up when releasing the car.

iv) front had spring perches that weren't even tightened and were rattling when driving.

v) alignment was paid for but did not appear to be complete or done correctly - steering wheel wasn't straight which they offered to remove the wheel and reposition which PCM said was not the right way to do it and was not very professional to offer a band aid fix.

and other issues....

Thanks for all the feedback. Hope to get this resolved.

It's law in nsw to have a rattle gun with torque settings to do wheel nuts now.

I believe rattles are not very accurate and over time get worse. Better than nothing in the hands of the many poorly trained service people out there , but not what I would call a precision tool. Anyone else care to comment? 

I am not a fan of the rattle guns which is why I took the car to Porsche Brighton (I thought they would use hand tools and a torque wrench as we do at home) as it is easier to see if the nut is not threaded right and thus does no damage. It was surprising and disappointing to experience what eventuated from the visit. 

I believe rattles are not very accurate and over time get worse. Better than nothing in the hands of the many poorly trained service people out there , but not what I would call a precision tool. Anyone else care to comment? 

I would tend to agree they provide questionable accuracy, it also presumes that the person doing the work adjusts the torque setting to the manufacturers settings.  Personally at home I use a rattle gun to loosen and tighten the nuts as it is just so much quicker, but do the final tightening with a torque wrench to ensure correct tightness.

After always using PCM. I had PCB complete a small job for me as they are closer to home. The job was done in time and at the cost quoted, however i did get the feeling that my 997 wasn't up to their standard and seeing my car sliding side ways on it return to me didn't put me in a happy place.  never again PCB

Mmm, I had to chat the Nissan dealer after my dash cam caught the 'technician' playing with MY toy 370z.  Revving the rings out of it cold.

They said they'd chat him, but I'm proactive so I chatted him myself and told the service manager I would not be back and I'd post my grievances online.

yep - had left front wheel come off a set of borbets and did a zebedee through a plate glass window years ago, 3 days after a goodyear put new tyres on... They rattled the nuts on.

Straight out of an AAMI ad - Tore the guard, wrecked front strut caliper, rotor. Issue went all the way to their big honcho who called me one day and told me to go fuk myself  

Straight out of an AAMI ad - Tore the guard, wrecked front strut caliper, rotor. Issue went all the way to their big honcho who called me one day and told me to go fuk myself  

name and shame

I have friends who can sort these sort of people out. 

After always using PCM. I had PCB complete a small job for me as they are closer to home. The job was done in time and at the cost quoted, however i did get the feeling that my 997 wasn't up to their standard and seeing my car sliding side ways on it return to me didn't put me in a happy place.  never again PCB

did you work out what was wrong in not being up to standard?

pretty poor to have it being driven improperly in front of the customer or at all

I skim read, but have you reached out to Porsche Australia and/or Germany?

to Porsche Australia yes and waiting for a reply. Contact being Ray Pillai.

havent contacted Germany 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Porsche Centre Brighton replaced one shock absorber. 

Whilst this is past the problem's first anniversary and there was a fair bit of work involved, I consider the case resolved and closed.

Thank you sincerely for the advice and comments, much appreciated!

Archived