ANF

My Porsche 928

1 hour ago, ANF said:

I also have a new timing belt and some good used hydraulic lifters for $20 each, these simple little lifters are about $500 each new!!

I've often heard that matching used lifters to a different used camshaft is a bit of a no no...something to do with the lifter wearing in to it's cam lobe, and when transferred to a different cam lobe there's a risk of it not rotating during operation.

It might be a myth....but anyhow worth consulting the experts about it to make sure (Buchanans etc)

At the very least I'd do a cam/lifter break in procedure when you first start the car ie run it at 2500rpm for 20 minutes or so.

Lindsey racing and 944online both offer lifter rebuild services for the 944 sohc lifters which I assume are similar to the 928 sohc lifters. They'll re -machine the top surface so that it's ready to wear in to it's new cam.

19 hours ago, ANF said:

Second parts delivery!
Not sure if these are the right ones, to replace my "cooked" ones.....

35671477_10156403893816465_5832843562546

Looking into this further, looks like they sent me 2 x early non forged rods!! Bloody hell, now I have some paper weights!! Grrr…..

1 hour ago, ANF said:

Looking into this further, looks like they sent me 2 x early non forged rods!! Bloody hell, now I have some paper weights!! Grrr…..

"Collector's items"
Put a positive spin on it!

7 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

"Collector's items"
Put a positive spin on it!

Indeed! I always did want a few cars parts nicely displayed in my home office :D

Thinking about the lifters, I don't see how it could be an issue as the lifter rotates while in action so in theory there should be no wear patterns distinctive to a single cam lobe??

I will still look into it though.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:28 AM, ANF said:

2 x "new" rods on the way......

Still waiting on parts to arrive and I am also ordering more as I still find stuff that is needed!

Latest finding is cam lobe pitting, some say a result of low ZDDP oils. Not sure if true or not, but looking to get my cams reground now :)

Lifters will most likely be refurbed as a new set is about $5k!! :o (edit, more like $7k plus!!)

On the lifters, does anyone know what material they are made or are they coated? They appear to be coated and I have heard about some lightly re-linishing them....

For anyone who cares to know I believe I have found that the lifters are indeed coated.

It is called Parkerized!! Look it up :)

5 minutes ago, KGB said:

That's how I go dressed to the office on those 3 deg mornings...

Wouldn't know about those here in Tas!!! :P