My Porsche 928

ANF

After a week of head scratching it appears that the 5.0 litre hybrid route may be the best course. That being an 86 5.0 litre short engine with 4.7 2 valve heads on it. Has been done quite a few times in the US and here as well. Only mod is to fly cut some grooves for the valves into the 5.0 litre pistons and maybe recalibrate the fuel pressure/ etc.

Apparently it will make more HP than a stock S4/ GT and even match the GTS!! It is the leading contender, now to find the right engine...... :CoolDance:

Hi mate - my recently picked up 928 is running a 5 litre block & a whole bunch of other custom bits (the folders are thick & I've only read through them once).  If I can be of any help...or if my acquired receipt file & contact list can be of any help, don't hesitate.

This is the brief description when it was recently advertised:

"I was able to source one of the very rare M28/44 changeover blocks from one of the Landsharkoz members and put everything back onto the new block.

Features & Specifications

CAMS compliant roll cage with approval label

Motec M48 ECU

G28.55 gearbox - the extremely rare manual from the GT

Motec Mini Digital Dash

Engine:

5 litre, 100mm bore x 78.9 stroke = 4.957

M28/44 block with the much thicker cylinder walls

Cross drilled crankshaft, high lift cams, ported and flowed heads

Early oil pan with clover-leaf baffle

Electronic fuel injection, Motec M48 engine management

350hp and 460nm of torque.

Dyno reading of 182.6 kw (244hp) at rear wheels

Heavy duty remote oil cooler

Twin electric fans on a Behr 928 GT radiator.

Drive train:

Drive train from the 1988 928 GT

Gearbox: 5 speed manual, G28/55

Limited Slip Differential

Heavy duty race clutch

Brakes:

Brakes 928 S4, Slotted and dimpled rotors, race pads

Suspension:

Coilovers, Koni adjustable with height adjustment collars.

Hypercoil springs, Front springs 600kg, Rear springs 400kg

Front S4 Upper arms and early model lower arms, allows up to 5 degrees of -ve camber.

I've only driven it about 5 times since picking up and am yet to start leaning on it in any way (still getting to know the gearbox/clutch) but it doesn't seem short on power or torque.  Of course I've never driven a manual s4 or GTS so have no frame of reference.  It runs quite/very rich according to my nose so a bit of dyno work would probably yield a bit more power...but that's just a best guess.  Good luck with sourcing the bits & the build mate.

Hey Gavin, thanks for that.

I would be very surprised if your engine only had 350 hp and that dyno figure seems low? I think your car should fly :)people in the US are reporting at least 320 hp doing nothing more than putting the 2v heads on the 5.0 litre.

If I do need a new block the 5.0 litre is the way I will go, makes the most sense and if I do need any extra info will be sure to call n you.

Cheers

Adam

14 hours ago, ANF said:

Hey Gavin, thanks for that.

I would be very surprised if your engine only had 350 hp and that dyno figure seems low? I think your car should fly :)people in the US are reporting at least 320 hp doing nothing more than putting the 2v heads on the 5.0 litre.

If I do need a new block the 5.0 litre is the way I will go, makes the most sense and if I do need any extra info will be sure to call n you.

Cheers

Adam

Thanks Adam - I assume you're on to the landsharkz site?   The po of my car sourced his block from someone there.

• 1 month later...

Finally made an attempt at further work to remove the engine, tough finding the time!! Current thinking is to repair what is there....

Spent a few hours wrestling with exhaust flange bolts, 6 bolts should not be so hard to remove, but I won in the end.... a few other pieces removed too! Anything on this car is a slow process.... :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress of sorts.... I seem to be taking things out of here and relocating them to the boot area :) it has been VERY slow progress........ :unsure:

af6.jpg_l.jpg?progressive

"air cooled" sump has seen a knock or 2 over the years....

366.jpg_l.jpg?progressive

This took a few hours to get apart, bloody exhaust bolts!!

fdb.jpg_l.jpg?progressive

No movement at all when bolt released :) Still very much in the removal process..... Torque tube will get new bearings while everything is out.....

887.jpg_l.jpg?progressive