Anodiser for original fuchs

turboT

So pissed, but had to happen living in my neighbourhood at sometime...

guttered a rear fuch 

just a nick, but took it to Autohaus when it was there for a service anyway. They used to use a guy in Brisbane, but apparently a change in legislation has meant he has had to change the anodising formula and they aren't happy with the results (milky). 

Their second choice is a guy in the US but the last set they sent last July and still have no confirmation when they are going to get them back. 

So reaching out for another local option?

anyone any ideas?

I can't suggest any platers for the job but I just want to share my experience.  It will be impossible to match one wheel to the remaining 3 wheels on your car.  The only way to have consistency is to do all the wheels at once.  Also, if you repair the damaged area with any welding or fillers this will be highlighted  by the anodising.  The worst I've seen is the welded material goes black.  This is a function of the alloys used.  The entire surface needs to be prepped, meaning careful stripping and polishing, then anodised.  I've learned this through some of the metal work and wheel repairs we do in my job, not from doing my own wheels, but the results will be similar.  Proceed carefully, Tom.  Or just accept the scrape as part of the car and live with it.

I can't suggest any platers for the job but I just want to share my experience.  It will be impossible to match one wheel to the remaining 3 wheels on your car.  The only way to have consistency is to do all the wheels at once.  Also, if you repair the damaged area with any welding or fillers this will be highlighted  by the anodising.  The worst I've seen is the welded material goes black.  This is a function of the alloys used.  The entire surface needs to be prepped, meaning careful stripping and polishing, then anodised.  I've learned this through some of the metal work and wheel repairs we do in my job, not from doing my own wheels, but the results will be similar.  Proceed carefully, Tom.  Or just accept the scrape as part of the car and live with it.

good advice. Michael say there are some guys in Melbourne so let's see.

classic road and track can organise to have them done very correctly. There are others in oz and 9er and others could chime in, who can do the multiple stages needed though you would be doing all the running around.

in the states there are 3-4 wheel guys who are noted for doing a good wheel job - Harvey Weidman been the king. book now get your wheels back sometime next year :)

Harvs is correct.

I have spoken with Classic Road and Track about all of their high end Porsche restoration work generally, and recently more specifically wheels, and David Belford suggests that the later and larger wheels  ('76 on) seem to have a higher level of impurities and do not reanodise very well, in short he was not keen to do them.

However I have seen their work on 15" and it is as good as you get.

Hit up their website, or if you live in Melbourne visit their showroom, it is very impressive with a high Porsche content.

Harvs is correct.

I have spoken with Classic Road and Track about all of their high end Porsche restoration work generally, and recently more specifically wheels, and David Belford suggests that the later and larger wheels  ('76 on) seem to have a higher level of impurities and do not reanodise very well, in short he was not keen to do them.

However I have seen their work on 15" and it is as good as you get.

Hit up their website, or if you live in Melbourne visit their showroom, it is very impressive with a high Porsche content.

Dave did the 15x7's on my purple early targa hot rod - they are fantastic.  He even paints them the original way (dip tank).  The targa should be at Rennsport on the ProStitch trade stand if you want to check them out.

Were the guys in Queensland Depulu Wheels?

They did my Fuchs on the 1984 Carrera and they were perfect.

That was about 6 years ago and they are still perfect.

If it is them, then I'm disappointed that they can no longer do them....

Cheers,

Geoff.

Depulu are still doing them (well) and they can anodise again..

I used Melbourne Anodising in Springvale 03 9546 3344 when I restored the 5.5s on my former '68L which came up great; I believe many of the professionals that restore Fuchs nationally freight them down here to that business to be anodised. However if there has been a recent change to legislation re: the anodising formula composition then the finish may also be affected??

Cheers

Craig

Archived