The missus wants a Cayenne...

So the Minister for war and finance has decided she wants to get a Cayenne when we return to Australia in a few months time. It's her 38th birthday not long after so I've decided to get her one for her 'special day'. Partly also because we need a daily driver when we get back.

I've pretty much decided it has to be the 2010 onwards 92A, and that it has to be the diesel (it will rack up the km's quickly).

Given I've not had much to do with the SUV side of things with Porsche, are their any buying tips or things to look out for when buying a Cayenne? What are peoples opinion on the 'must have' options etc?

What should I be looking out for in order to spot an abused Cayenne?

Advice appreciated guys...

Oh she does mate! But I've put the kybosh on a Macan. Not in budget!!!!

I know its a bit 'off brand' but have you looked at an Audi SQ5? Nearly the performance of a Macan Turbo, has the looks and a seriously efficient twin turbo diesel. 'My' wife has one and loves it. 

I know its a bit 'off brand' but have you looked at an Audi SQ5? Nearly the performance of a Macan Turbo, has the looks and a seriously efficient twin turbo diesel. 'My' wife has one and loves it. 

I will follow T a little off  brand. If you are thinking of flirting with other German brands also consider the Benz W166 ML post 2012. Not sure what size SUV she is after as they are a little larger than most so heaps of interior space and a desiel can be picked up for a reasonable price. Had my 350 petrol almost 4 years as a daily and Drives more like a saloon than an SUV.

I have had my ML500 (Slightly older)W164 for a couple of years now and it is great. Heaps of grunt, off the line and has the towing ability as well. 

I am also looking at upgrading it soon to the 92A Cayenne. At least with the diesel, it is not a quick off the line as my Merc, or the SQ5 for that matter, but the interior is amazing and for me the SQ5 won't tow my car trailer :( 

I originally suggested she get a Q5 (or SQ5) as I like them as well. But it's the boot space in the Cayenne that tips the scales. We also both love the look of the Cayenne with some nice wheels.

We looked at a nice Cayenne GTS yesterday on a drive through the country in the 911, and now we have to add a panoramic roof to the list :rolleyes:

I went shopping for a cayenne last year, long story short I bought an ML350 (w164) and is by no means second choice. Does not have the punch of the cayenne MFX's 500 would and everything thing else is on par. Both are big, about the same size and the ML probably has the nicer interior. I am happy and the price saved is my 928 :)

Great cars. My wife has the MY14 Cayenne GTS with the last of the naturally aspirated V8's. Lovely car in every way. 

Regardless of engine choice, the factory options I would look for are:

- panoramic roof

- roof rails (for roof racks), tow bar not required as can be fitted aftermarket

- air suspension, gives great clearance for off road but also lowers for high speed

- servotronic steering 

other than that most things are personal preference like light comfort package, lane change assist, heated seats. If you get petrol the factory sports exhaust is also great. 

Cheers Tim. 

Thanks Tim, that helps a lot. Didnt think about the air suspension. Glad you picked up on that. I think the Pano Roof will be mandatory as she wanted me to get the cabrio when I bought the 911. I said 'no way, has to be a coupe'. Her response was 'At least get a sunroof'. I didn't! A panoramic roof might make up for that...

Archived