996.2 GT3 Tyres

It's time to replace my rears - worn and 6 years old. I have stock 18 inch rims. 

The car has Pirelli P0 Rossos and while the fronts are very good I'm thinking of dumping them and moving to Michelin PS2's. The car is a road car and doesn't get pushed too hard. I had these tyres on my Carrera 4 and liked them. I want N spec tyres. 

Has anyone run Pilot Sports on the 6.2 GT3? Any other recommendations ?

Thx

Dave

I've just replaced my rears with P zero Rosso's as the pirelli's on the front are in good order (my preference was for them to match) If I had to replace all 4 I would have elected for the Michelin's, however I have no first hand experience or comparison sorry. 

Dave, I went from 18"x 235/295 PZeros Rosso to PS2 on my 996.2 - though it's just a lowly Carrera it gets driven like a GT3 - and found them significantly better in dry and wet spirited ;) driving.

My Carrera has GT3 18 inch rims, runs on slightly lowered coilovers with GT3 sway bars so the handling characteristics of my car would not be massively different to a GT3.

I currently have Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 on mine and am happy with them, they provide strong and predictable grip in the dry and in the wet.

Prior to that I had Pirelli P Zero Rossos and was happy with them as well, to be honest I have not noticed much difference between the two.  If pushed I would favour the Michelin as slightly more predictable than the Pirelli but difference is small and could be down to my driving style or preferences.

I have had the Continentals and would say that based on my experience I did not find them as good as either the Michelin or Pirelli's, however their tyre wear was slightly better.

It's time to replace my rears - worn and 6 years old. I have stock 18 inch rims. 

The car has Pirelli P0 Rossos and while the fronts are very good I'm thinking of dumping them and moving to Michelin PS2's. The car is a road car and doesn't get pushed too hard. I had these tyres on my Carrera 4 and liked them. I want N spec tyres. 

Has anyone run Pilot Sports on the 6.2 GT3? Any other recommendations ?

Thx

Dave

PS2's are the go. I run them on mine and they are great. had Pirelli's on my RS and they were fine. Steer clear of the Conti's for the GT3

Thanks for the feedback guys - all good points. I think Im sold on the PS2's also

Cheers

Dave

Dave, I went from 18"x 235/295 PZeros Rosso to PS2 on my 996.2 - though it's just a lowly Carrera it gets driven like a GT3 - and found them significantly better in dry and wet spirited ;) driving.

Thanks Trev, no such thing as a lowly Carerra ! 

I've just replaced my rears with P zero Rosso's as the pirelli's on the front are in good order (my preference was for them to match) If I had to replace all 4 I would have elected for the Michelin's, however I have no first hand experience or comparison sorry. 

Hugh, my fronts are very good, maybe they are better than yours - Im happy to ask for the front tyres back when I get the new tyres fitted and you can have them gratis, just let me know. Headed OS on Sunday and will be in the USA for 3 weeks on business, so will buy the new tyres as soon as Im back. Let me take a pic on the weekend and send to you, I will measure the depth also.

I could buy some Rossos (they are gettign harder to find because they are end of life) I just figured all the money is in those fat rears so I would bight the bullet and go with an enture new set.

Cheers

Hugh, my fronts are very good, maybe they are better than yours - Im happy to ask for the front tyres back when I get the new tyres fitted and you can have them gratis, just let me know.

That's an amazing offer - you are too kind! Lets talk when you get back, maybe a BBQ lunch with the kids to at least try and repay the favour. :) 

I think you will struggle to go past Yokohama AD08 R's on a 6 GT3. Good grip levels and fine in the wet, not too pricey either. 

I like this idea, bloody good tyre for the money. Is this what you had on your old 996 GT3?

Im happy to ask for the front tyres back when I get the new tyres fitted and you can have them gratis, just let me know. 

I could buy some Rossos (they are gettign harder to find because they are end of life) I just figured all the money is in those fat rears so I would bight the bullet and go with an enture new set.

Cheers

That's what I did for the same reason - but I forgot to get my bloody fronts back from the tyre shop!  Couple of good PZeros there!  Dang!

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up my car today, got the Pilot Sports. Very happy, I forgot how smooth and quiet these tyres are. 

I ended up going with Porsche Centre Melbourne. They matched a tyre price I got, the primary reason I chose them was the new Porsche wheel alignment kit they have installed.  The alignment is $197 but the accuracy is something else when it comes to the adjustment they can do, plus the computer has all of the P cars settings listed to get toe and camber spot on. It now drives like its on rails. 

I also like that they picked up a few items and rectified them. Wheel bolt was r/s, a couple of screws were missing, they swapped them all out with genuine replacements. Admittedly I had to pay, all up the parts cost me $20, but they had them on site. 

I was able to drop the car Monday and leave it all week while I was away on business, the car stored under cover, you can't do that at Beurepairs. They also took me for a walk around the workshop, it really is an impressive setup they have now. 

Hugh, I will shoot you pics of the fronts, I had them save them and I brought them home so if you want them, they are yours.

cheers

Dave

I have Continentals on the GT3 for street use  ( fabulous Yoki A005 R spec for other occasions) and find them noticeably squishy yet they are great on the ML63. I will go PS2 next time around.

Archived