No problem, actually I understand the time between putting the deposit down and finalising the sale is a sensitive one, and it's usually in the interest of both parties to be circumspect and discreet about the proceedings. I was just teasing about the fact I wasn't in the "cool kids club" that was in on the hot gossip.

Welcome to the S2 club! With only 128 Australian delivered S2s in total, an exclusive club indeed! (Makes the Turbos look decidedly common, by comparison. ;))

I know the feeling about buying cars long distance -- pretty much goes with the territory when buying old classic cars. It is a bit unnerving, but it sometimes actually works out OK!

You were right to get the compression checked carefully -- these engines are very robust and will last forever if they are maintained properly (basically, oil changes on schedule with the correct oil). But that's a big "if". There are many poorly maintained 944s with prematurely worn engines out there as well, unfortunately.

MY S2 engine still burns less than 1 litre of oil between oil changes (every 10K kms). I religiously use Mobil 1 5w-50, always have, and as far as I know that's what the previous owners have also used. Look after your S2 engine and it will pay you back with interest!

Do you know the breakdown of how many 944's were delivered in total?

Mine isn't rare being an 83 NA, but I'm just curious how many are out there.

Do you know the breakdown of how many 944's were delivered in total?

Mine isn't rare being an 83 NA, but I'm just curious how many are out there.

No I don't, sorry. The wikipedia article I got those figures from breaks out the Oz delivered subtotals for the S2, but not for the base model.

No problem, actually I understand the time between putting the deposit down and finalising the sale is a sensitive one, and it's usually in the interest of both parties to be circumspect and discreet about the proceedings. I was just teasing about the fact I wasn't in the "cool kids club" that was in on the hot gossip.

Welcome to the S2 club! With only 128 Australian delivered S2s in total, an exclusive club indeed! (Makes the Turbos look decidedly common, by comparison. ;))

I know the feeling about buying cars long distance -- pretty much goes with the territory when buying old classic cars. It is a bit unnerving, but it sometimes actually works out OK!

You were right to get the compression checked carefully -- these engines are very robust and will last forever if they are maintained properly (basically, oil changes on schedule with the correct oil). But that's a big "if". There are many poorly maintained 944s with prematurely worn engines out there as well, unfortunately.

MY S2 engine still burns less than 1 litre of oil between oil changes (every 10,000 kms). I religiously use Mobil 1 5w-50, always have, and as far as I know that's what the previous owners have also used. Look after your S2 engine and it will pay you back with interest!

To be honest, I didn't realise how exclusive the S2's were prior to really looking seriously at the 944.  I always thought the earlier cars with black wheel centres looked cool but I'm happy to have the extra benefits as the model went through each series.

Compression test was cheap insurance.  Service history is also impressive, regular oil changes every 10,000km since day dot.

I agree, like all Porsches, if you keep the maintenance up, k's shouldn't be a big issue.

Plugger, you're partially correct re S2 numbers - there were in fact 128 Coupes delivered, but they were accompanied by 80 (!) S2 Cabs...

I bow to your authority on such matters. I understand you have an "inside track" on some of these numbers that is otherwise not generally public information...

Do you have numbers for base models as well?

I bow to your authority on such matters. I understand you have an "inside track" on some of these numbers that is otherwise not generally public information...

Do you have numbers for base models as well?

Sure...

'82  72;  '83  205;  '84  205;  '85 288;  '85.5  140; '86  110;  '87 1;  '87  2(S);  '88  8;  '88  39 (S); '89  49 (2.7)

Sooo... the "S" wins the "rarity" medal

Surely this is worth a very very close look https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4568944?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA

If I hadn't just purchased the S2, I'd be straight onto it.  Not knowing them back to front, am I missing something :wacko:

you beat me to it. Yep, same boat having just bought an S2. If this checks out its a bargain

Surely this is worth a very very close look https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4568944?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA

If I hadn't just purchased the S2, I'd be straight onto it.  Not knowing them back to front, am I missing something :wacko:

you beat me to it. Yep, same boat having just bought an S2. If this checks out its a bargain

Yep, seems like good buying, import?

Yep, seems like good buying, import?

I just spoke to the seller, Michael -- a very genuine guy I think. It is a UK import, and those kms aren't real. He's priced the car as such because, apart from being an import, the engine is going to need some head work down the track -- he'd been quoted $5-6K for a head rebuild a couple of years ago. But it sounds like the car is otherwise in very good condition,

I'd say it is still quite well priced considering. Say just under $30K for a UK Turbo with a freshly rebuilt head? Not bad buying at all. If I was in the market for a Turbo I'd certainly consider it. I suspect it will sell fairly quickly.

I just spoke to the seller, Michael -- a very genuine guy I think. It is a UK import, and those kms aren't real. He's priced the car as such because, apart from being an import, the engine is going to need some head work down the track -- he'd been quoted $5-6K for a head rebuild a couple of years ago. But it sounds like the car is otherwise in very good condition,

I'd say it is still quite well priced considering. Say just under $30K for a UK Turbo with a freshly rebuilt head? Not bad buying at all. If I was in the market for a Turbo I'd certainly consider it. I suspect it will sell fairly quickly.

Yes it did - sold already!

Right price, i guess a lesson for the other cars that have sat for how long?

Actually, for a UK car, I think the "right" price is a bit trickier to figure out. But I think the asking price was at least reasonable and justifiable for this one -- and at least one other person has wholeheartedly agreed, by the looks of things!

I can believe it. Gotta be quick!

By way of comparison, a 1988 944 auto also listed today for $22,500...

this one plugger? https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1988/SSE-AD-4568968

Pity its missing the 3rd pedal...

Maybe a dumb question but i notice some listed as 2.5 and others 2.7 litre made in the same year. Was it an engine update mid year?

this one plugger? https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1988/SSE-AD-4568968

Pity its missing the 3rd pedal...

Maybe a dumb question but i notice some listed as 2.5 and others 2.7 litre made in the same year. Was it an engine update mid year?

Yeah, that's the one. At almost the same asking price, pretty uninspiring compared to the Turbo, hence my comment.

Not a dumb question. Only one model year with 2.7 na: 1989. Some model year 1989 cars would be built in the previous calendar year, 1988. So if there are two 1988 cars with different engine sizes, one is a MY88 and the other a MY89.