What tyres for 16" Teledials

vinnytang

I'm in the market for a new set of tyres for the 944 Turbo, but I'm having trouble trying to find a pair of 225/50-16s for the front and 245/45-16s for the rear. So far I've only found the Continental Contisports, what other options are there? interested to see what others are running.

thanks in advance for any suggestions!

You could try the Toyo Proxes T1R i just put them on my turbo and so far they are ok Peter M just got some 16's for his 911 as well that look like they stick very well, not sure what they were, pm him.

I love the Bridgestone Potenza RE003's I've just put on my 16" rims but the maximum width they do is 225 in this diameter.

Are you sure on your tyre sizes? 

I thought they would be: 205/55 R16 and 225/50 R16.  If that's the case, RE003's would be an easy choice.

I love the Bridgestone Potenza RE003's I've just put on my 16" rims but the maximum width they do is 225 in this diameter.

Are you sure on your tyre sizes? 

I thought they would be: 205/55 R16 and 225/50 R16.  If that's the case, RE003's would be an easy choice.

The 944's run wider rims and the turbo is wider again.

You phatts and stance guys!

I reckon go standard sizes and RE003's.  They often do 100 buck cash rebate specials where you can get a set for around $560.

Sorry to sound like ya dad. 

Going the extra width will only get you less than 1% extra lateral grip I suspect and not worth the other disadvantages: http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/7572-tyre-myths-wheels-magazine-november-2015/?page=1

I'd suggest keeping the fronts at 205s but opting for a wider rear. 

I'm running Kuhmo 205/50 and 255/45 with 17s but it was that way from PO, brand new as well.

When I need new tires I'll stay the same on the fronts but probably drop the width on the rears back to a 245/45 ideally with the RE003s

You phatts and stance guys!

I reckon go standard sizes and RE003's.  They often do 100 buck cash rebate specials where you can get a set for around $560.

Sorry to sound like ya dad. 

Going the extra width will only get you less than 1% extra lateral grip I suspect and not worth the other disadvantages: http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/7572-tyre-myths-wheels-magazine-november-2015/?page=1

interesting read! I went from 225 to 245 on my 2000 RX7 RS on 17s, and maybe it might have been a placebo effect but I definitely noticed the extra rubber. I can understand keeping it standard up front, but if I can find a decent 225/245 option that doesn't break the bank I'll still like to try em out. 

Theyre only rubber after all, maybe this is an excuse to get a second set of wheels for some AB testing!

Guys only the TurboS came with 9" wheels to fit 245/45 R16 tyres on it. And they're the "clubsport" wheels.

The Teledials only came max 8" which is 225/50/R16

Turbo:   F - 205/55/R16   R - 225/50/R16
TurboS: F - 225/50/R16   R - 245/45/R16
http://944turbo.net/?p=367

IMO:
Stick to the right size (non S) And get something to suit what you plan with the car and driving style. 
I had toyo T1rs on a 245 on the teledials, and it was grippy but to much sidewall movement. so i can tell you don't do it. The t1r needs a little stretch to keep solid. 
I'd recommend RE003. they're great, A lot of my friends run them.  

Check out my 928 backdate thread in this area - I just put the manholes back on the car and bought Continental. They are now available and N rated, I am very happy with them - quiet, nice grip, have always liked this brand. 

I also read that Pirelli are launching N spec tyres for older Porsche wheel sizes, so maybe quiz Pirelli direct because the dealers aren't always up to date. 

Cheers

Dave

So I ended up going with 205/225 combo in the RE003s. $639 fitted with wheel alignment — couldn't resist with a price like that! Gonna try an N-Rated option next time, but with the money saved with the Bridgestones I can get All new hoses, that 928 fire thread has got me thinking about preventative measures...

thanks all for the advice!

I had widies on my 944 when I bought it and it tramlined like crazy on many roads. Went to stock size and all is sweet.

Wide tyres on streetcars are overrated , like biceps they are no guarantee of strength ;)

Archived