Which Brake fluid?

990SD

Howdy,

I'm due to flush my brake fluid and was wondering what everyone is using or recommends?

I'm driving an 06 Cayman S.  No track work.

My local dealer only has Porsche fluid ($70 a litre) but couldn't really tell me what the specs were or why it's better than another brand.

Cheers

Seems a little pricey.....

The owners manual shows the capacity of the system at 0.39 litres. Having read up on a few methods of bleeding, the consensus seems to be to have at least 2L on hand for a bleed.  Very $$ wasted fluid!  

Howdy,

I'm due to flush my brake fluid and was wondering what everyone is using or recommends?

I'm driving an 06 Cayman S.  No track work.

My local dealer only has Porsche fluid ($70 a litre) but couldn't really tell me what the specs were or why it's better than another brand.

Cheers

Ok, after a little more searching you can use Dot 4 or Dot 5.1, but do not use Dot 5 - it is silicone based and apparently you should not use (but Dot 5.1 is ok).

Just use a quality brand :)

It's not Grange Hermitage FFS!

Not sure what that is in reference to....??

Thanks for the inputs.

ATE type 200 seems to be a fluid that pops up as a good fluid to use on other P-car forums.  Autosphere.com.au is also the only place I've found it. $35 a liter is a better price than the P-fluid too.  There is a Brembo fluid there for $50 for 1/2 a liter!

Why can't you just buy a suitable specification from Repco and Supercheap Auto?  Or have I missed something?

You can. I'm just seeing if there are better fluids out there. There are lots of fluids that fit the specification but they can perform differently. 

Hi Peter,

I did see your very informative post while trying to figure out the differences. Still not sure if I've got my head around it all. Most of the info I'm reading applies to very high temperature usage at the track. 

I'm trying to remember where I read something about compressibility and brake pedal feel, but that might have been in relation to dot 5 fluid?

I haven't really found out why one dot fluid(brand) is better or more expensive than another yet either?

Essdee,

I think you are correct about Dot 5:

DOT 5 is silicone-based. It is NOT recommended for any vehicle equipped with antilock brakes (ABS). It gives better protection against corrosion, and is more suitable for use in wet driving conditions.

Boiling point: 356° F (180° C)

DOT 5.1 is a high-boiling point fluid that is suitable for ABS-equipped vehicles. It contains polyalkylene glycol ether, but is more expensive than other brake fluids.

Boiling point: 375° F (190.6° C)

My experience is that it is more important to get the bleeding right rather than worry about different brands and haven't regretted buying a inexpensive pressure bleeder set up that makes this easy to achieve.  I've found that having about 1.5 litres on hand comfortably allows a full flush if you use a different coloured fluid to what's currently in the system.

Thanks for the great info Peter!

The last time I bled any brakes on a car was about 24 years ago on a VH Charger I had. Definitely no ABS or traction control (aside from a few bags of sand in the boot) on Valients then ?

• 3 weeks later...

I had missed this thread and cannot talk about the use of dot 5 with abs, other than you don't do it. What I can tell you is that there is a vast difference between brake fluids withing the same dot class. These differences might nit make a big difference for a car that is only used on the road and that has its fluid changed every 2 years, but if you do track and really spirited driving where you are hard on the brakes, you want to make decisions other than a Repco/SuperCheapAuto own brand or cheapy.

So what are those differences? in short, one of the big differences is additives that do 2 things. First, they improve the corrosive properties of the fluid, which is always good. Second, and for me the most important, they improve the hydroscopic nature of the fluid - you want your fluid to absorb as little moisture as possible. What the technicians look at is oiling point, starting with dry when the fluid is new and then looking at the wet boiling point. Wet boiling point is (IIRC) after 1 year and an absorption of 3.5% moisture. The differences are huge. When new, you get a range of between 230c and 300c   but after a year, the range is something like 150c to 275c.

Guess what. In general, the better the brake fluid, the more expensive it is. There is a catch, the best on boiling point, which is what matters on the track, are usually race fluids which don't have the additives and therefore need replacing more often.

You need to choose your fluid based on use. For some, it might actually make most sense to use a street fluid and simply replace it just before a track day, because the boiling point will be better than some race fluids that are 6 months old. If you are regularly on and off the track, meaning your fluid is heated and cooled differently from a road car, you either replace more often or you use a race fluid.

It should also be pointed out that you can change the feel of the pedal by changing fluid. Most race fluids give a very "hard" pedal feel, which therefore reduces the pedal trvel between no and full braking, which some don't like because it makes it harder to modulate the braking. Unless you are mad or are really used to race fluid and do the track time, I probably would avoid it on a road car.

As for which makes, I am now a bit out of touch because I am not racing and only do a few track days, so I just accept what PR Technology put in as they seem to know what they are doing.

Archived