LS1 GT2 911 Build

MrRPJ

Im not to sure its just very long im guessing something to do with my bodykit IMG_3883.png

That is weird. Obviously there are more differences between the "G" and the 993 than we thought...

Looks like you could cut it off, if you want to go there. Just depends on how far you want to go with it.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is weird. Obviously there are more differences between the "G" and the 993 than we thought...

Looks like you could cut it off, if you want to go there. Just depends on how far you want to go with it.

yup. 964 is more similar to G series- friend has a 964 updated to 993 panels and we went through this with his engine hatch!

I have normal belts as well as a 5 point harness, easy as. 

+1

I don't think harnesses are legal on the street, and they are a bit of a pain in the arse to be honest i.e. I couldn't reach the radio, even if i wanted to.

Your cage looks very short? It would probably protect my head in a roll over, but I am 4 foot tall ;) 

As for the Dynamat. I have been doing a heap of research, and there are some good threads on sound deadening on Pelican where uber nerd sound engineers have been doing it. Apparently with Dynamat (or similar) you only need 25-40% coverage over large flat areas to absorb vibrations, it doesn't actually stop the transfer of sound very well so any more is just adding weight without stopping much sound. Apparently over that you need MLV (mass loaded vinyl) or similar which is separated from the surface by a foam layer. I believe that a similar system is used in the Singers. I will be doing that sort of system on mine. 

Does dynamat insulate heat?

I'll need something for the footwell in the Rx2

+1

I don't think harnesses are legal on the street, and they are a bit of a pain in the arse to be honest i.e. I couldn't reach the radio, even if i wanted to.

Does dynamat insulate heat?

I'll need something for the footwell in the Rx2

I am not sure. I have only really been doing research for sound, but as @firstone mentioned there must be a bunch of products out there, that work for both heat and sound.

Put the reflective foil on the engine side of the footwell, dynamite on the passenger side - should work well, though I know rotaries run hot being magical spinning triangles of doom

I think Dynamite, would probably get much hotter than the rotory.... :lol: 

(sorry I couldn't resist ;) ) 

Haha lol Ill see how i go with the dynamat i have in place. I will heat wrap my headers, mufflers and pipes to try and keep temps down. for now the sanding is doing my head in this old paint melts and sanded to quickly and takes for ever to wet sand. I might try a heat gun this weekend and see if i can scrape it off

Put the reflective foil on the engine side of the footwell, dynamite on the passenger side - should work well, though I know rotaries run hot being magical spinning triangles of doom

my friends rx2 set off a grass fire back in the day, and that was with the manly old cast iron header thing they used to use. 

And no, I am talking about a literal grass fire, not some euphemism.  It smouldered while parked and extra oxygen from driving off ... whoomph.. think it was the big electric thermos installed to keep the magic spinning triangles of doom cool that turned it from a smoulder to a camp fire.

• 1 month later...

Quick update. Roll cage is finished, car is back to bare metal, new g50 pedal arrived for the hydo clutch needed for the subaru box and next weekend should be in primer. video should be out this weekend and they are slowly getting better so bare with me

Weld quality 

FD55855B-25DC-4D4A-817B-E310B6EC1D2E.jpgA46EA74C-4599-401E-A0CC-6C4CEF64B38A.jpg

DD4477B9-77A5-4491-A63E-C3EB1667912F.jpgD1AF8B39-E303-40DC-90D7-B9567A2AD084.jpg33E0D31F-06C0-4D13-99E7-CE90584FBEAB.jpg6D802D73-BC8A-4F44-BCA2-9DEB40F1F5AC.jpg290376A8-2FBF-4A18-96E8-04DF524355A9.jpg

JUst needs final welds done on feet and harness bars then off to powder coaters

DD45FE1E-5D1E-4097-B3AA-A960D30505B9.jpg72BF3EF5-B1AF-48F1-948E-7522B8E5591C.jpg8430D643-61F5-47B5-A93C-8685608D23AB.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work. I recommend spending $50 on an automatic welding helmet. Makes life SOOO much easier. You have a hand free to hold your piece and you can see where you are starting. Worth every penny ;)

Yeah I have a good helmet but left it at work and I wasn't going all the way in to get it. And the spare one at home was not auto darkening so I think the sensor is stuffed. So I thought I'll tack in place then use our big welder at work to finish off the seam welds. But yeah your right they make life so much easier. 

Thanks Jono. I can't wait to hit the road in it. 

• 4 weeks later...

It s been a busy few weeks. I decided to scrap the g50 pedal set up and go full Tilton Pedal box with triple remote reservoir, I think it will suit the Ls swap and make life a little easier. I started work on fixing my dinted doors and got the car in primer. 

next job is to finish the doors off, sand the bumpers and fenders and finish fixing my cracked fender. 

I get a lot of questions on my transaxle so I might make a video on it next showing everyone how it works and what i got. 

AB24273D-3EA2-4616-82A6-0FC5CF94C6FD.jpg

3CBDD3AF-640E-41AE-96DD-E80C9CE7CCF2.jpg'

7E202CF0-DCD6-4A68-885D-317DCB870730.jpg

97E642B8-0C38-4C79-BE55-B244A380814F.jpg

BA93F707-CD5C-44A7-9A29-AA66688D8C10.jpg

57300009-7D45-4D24-8100-1B4185A3EB62.jpg

Time for Sleep!!

143E46B6-7F10-405A-BFE0-477283B3C041.jpg

61692EE2-429B-4520-A4E1-613400325154.jpg

255698FA-F837-4D50-80F8-4EA6E15FD882.jpg

Behold Frankenstein!!!!!

99B2D39F-7695-448C-9823-62907903444A.jpg

You know what they say about big feet.....Little motor haha

47B35130-82F7-4CFE-A775-8964B9ACB17B.jpg

ED4FFBE2-8F48-4397-9E43-D3E0B6CC5634.jpg

Hips bigger then yo GF

810556BC-95B8-4D93-8DB9-4E6C06614FBE.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

SEATS! Im not to sure if ill keep these in or go to something like a sparco 2000 pro. Being 6.1 I might need something thats almost sitting on the floor! Has anyone got some 2000 pros installed that can tell me how they are for head room? 

SEATS! Im not to sure if ill keep these in or go to something like a sparco 2000 pro. Being 6.1 I might need something thats almost sitting on the floor! Has anyone got some 2000 pros installed that can tell me how they are for head room? 

I have same problem being 6.2

I have installed a recaro in a 3.2 and Sparco seats in the SC

The problem is mostly with the seat rails as they elevate the seat. Not so much a problem in the 3.2, but does make a difference in the SC.

I have gone through different sets of Porsche, Recaro and Sparco seats and various seat rails to get what I was after

Having a deep dish steering wheel or Porsche extended length wheel also make a difference in seating position for taller guys.  

PM me your number.  happy to chat and share my findings 

Thanks for the reply Andrew. Im curious as to why you have more room in the 3.2 compared to the sc as the 3.2 has the same rail height or is it the design of the seat fitted?

I currently have a 4" boss kit which seems to have made the seating positing feel nicer but with a deep dish well added would be great for me.  Out of all the seats you have tried so far what have you liked the most, Something this might work if i mount rails directly to the floor

s-l300.jpg

I'm 6' 1"ish and mounted the Momo Corse seat sides (as pictured above) directly to the seat runner bolsters in my 78 SC (or whatever you call them that are welded to the floor)

Perfect height for me which felt the same as the Porsche sport seats that came with the car, and just sat in them to slide to where it felt best, marked then drilled the holes where I wanted them. I much preferred the comfort factor of the Momo's to my current Sparco's, yet it was tricky getting in and out of the car with the big ears of the Momo seat. I also have a 4 inch Momo boss and deep dish wheel that I find is the perfect driving position for me

I was going to make a plate that extended towards the back due to the seat overhang, but I didn't need it with the Sparco's.

Rough, but it did the job. And yes, I drilled more holes to have 3 high tensile bolts each side. Didn't move at all

20160731_153510.jpg

Thanks for the reply Andrew. Im curious as to why you have more room in the 3.2 compared to the sc as the 3.2 has the same rail height or is it the design of the seat fitted?

I currently have a 4" boss kit which seems to have made the seating positing feel nicer but with a deep dish well added would be great for me.  Out of all the seats you have tried so far what have you liked the most, Something this might work if i mount rails directly to the floor

s-l300.jpg

the 3.2 for some reason had more head room but it could be the design of the seats as I had replaced the original seats with 993 seats then the Recaro. I will get the tape measure out and check

as for the SC, I had mounted the Sparco Pro2000 side-mount seats using the Sparco seat brackets directly on the floor mounts, with no sliders/seat rails.

the sparco seat rails have good arrangement of mounting holes allowing for good forward/backward mounting and adjustment using factory mounting points 

• 3 months later...

Archived